2/12(Tue.) your questions are as good as mine.. (Host: Luis)

回覆文章
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

2/12(Tue.) your questions are as good as mine.. (Host: Luis)

文章 Luis Ko »

hello dear yoyoers, i'm Luis, the host on 2/12 - the first meeting after Chinese New Year, in which i will somewhat change the way we usually do it. there will be no question provided for the meeting. this time i would like to ask you guys to prepare your own questions about the articles for your table members, at least one question for each session from each of you. hope you all enjoyed your new year holidays and so, will be in the mood to read all the articles, so that you will have your questions, and willing to come joining the meeting.

p.s. if you can have your questions without reading the article, it will be totally fine as well lo~ :mrgreen:

session one:

*Former Vogue cover model Nastasia Urbano is now homeless

A former top model, who graced the cover of Vogue and was the face of numerous high-profile campaigns including for Yves Saint Lauren, is now homeless.

Nastasia Urbano, 57, used to hang out with Jack Nicholson and Andy Warhol, fronted magazine campaigns with Linda Evangelista, and was invited to Madonna’s wedding to Sean Penn.

Now, she sleeps in bank foyers in Spain after an ex-husband took all her money.

“I did all the magazines, I was loved by everybody. I was given a million dollars a year for only 20 days of work, for three or four years,” she told el Periodico. “I was having dinner one day with Jack Nicholson, the following day with Andy Warhol or even Roman Polanski. I was in parties with Melanie Griffith, Don Johnson, and Simon and Garfunkel.

“I was about to go to Madonna’s wedding to Sean Penn because (US actor) David Keith was invited and I was dating him at that time, but that day we got up with a hangover and couldn’t get up. I had everything, I was living like a queen.”

Urbano says her ex-husband and father of her children “left her with nothing but the clothes on her back”.

“The only good thing from that relationship has been my children, the rest was horrible,” she said. “He paid for everything with my money. Only two days after knowing him, he wanted me to buy a BMW and I, like a fool, I signed a cheque. I was in love.”

Urbano says that she also suffers with depression.

“I want my children to see me well. I want to recover as a person and to be OK, so they can be proud of me,” she said.

Urbano modelled for top brands such as Revlon and Yves Saint Laurent, making the cover of Vogue in 1981.

Meanwhile, a group of her former colleagues has decided to do what they can to help her get back on her feet.

Former fellow model Ruth Schuler said: “It has left me in shock. Nobody expected this. We were at princess level, but she, she was at goddess level.

“I remember her as an introverted person, very beautiful and very generous with others. We are gathering more people. The first thing is to talk to her, know how she is and what she needs.’

And another former model, Hernando Herrera, said: “She has lot of things to give to the fashion world.

“She could do a lot of things, not only model, but also conferences, fashion speeches and other activities,” she said. “I am ready to teach her and talk with photographers and agencies so that she can work again.”

This article originally appeared on https://www.news.com.au/

source url: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/f ... w-homeless

*Why Do Women Fall for Bad Boys?
Why do the wrong men feel so right? A new study offers some answers.

Are women predisposed to find men with dark personalities attractive? Although conventional wisdom maintains that women should beware of men who say and do the right thing with too much ease, they often can't help but find them utterly appealing. Now, a study led by Gregory Louis Carter of the University of Durham provides new insights into this vexing phenomenon.

Research has revealed that more men than women possess the Dark Triad personality traits of narcissism, psychopathy, and Machiavellism. The hallmarks of narcissism include dominance, a sense of entitlement, and a grandiose self-view. Studies overwhelmingly show that narcissism is greater in men, even across cultures. Moreover, it is believed that narcissism may advance short-term mating in men, as it involves “a willingness and ability to compete with one’s own sex, and to repel mates shortly after intercourse.” In line with these capabilities, the authors note, narcissists are adept at beginning new relationships, and identifying multiple mating opportunities. They are also less monogamous.

Psychopathy is comprised of callousness, a lack of empathy, and antisocial, erratic behavior. It also lends itself to success in short-term mating, through a moral deficit and interpersonal hostility. Psychopaths have also been found to exhibit superficial charm, deceit, and a sexually-exploitative interpersonal stance.

Machiavellianism is comprised of duplicity, insincerity and extraversion. The manipulative, coercive, and opportunistic ways of these individuals are also advantageous in short-term mating; studies do reveal that Machiavellians have been found to be more promiscuous.

Indeed, research has established that Dark Triad men demonstrate more sexual success by comparison to their peers. However, Carter and his colleagues point out that virtually all of these studies have used self-report data. In other words, the Dark Triad men participating in these studies have been describing themselves as having more sexual prowess. Given this one-sided view, the researchers wondered whether women would find Dark Triad men more attractive.

In order to investigate this question, Carter and his team presented 128 female undergraduates with the descriptions of two types of male characters: Dark Triads and controls. The high Dark Triad self- description encompassed traits from the "Dirty Dozen" measure, which includes: a desire for attention, admiration, favors, and prestige; the manipulation, exploitation, deceit and flattery of others; a lack of remorse, morality concerns and sensitivity, and cynicism. (The ‘Dirty Dozen’ is a condensed version of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory, Mach-IV, and Psychopathy Scale-III). The control self-description purposefully matched the high Dark Triad description, but it dropped out the dark personality traits.

After being presented with one of these two characters, the participants answered questions along a six-point scale about the attractiveness of the individual's personality (they also rated the characters for the Big Five personality traits, which is beyond the scope of this post). In addition, factors known to influence attractiveness ratings, such as wealth and education level, were omitted in order to reduce the possibility of bias. The investigators then ran their analyses.

What did Carter and his colleagues find? Women found the Dark Triad personality more attractive than the control. This result is in keeping with previous studies in which Dark Triad men reported their increased level of sexual success.

What might explain this result? Carter and his colleagues offer two possible explanations. First, sexual selection might be at work. This would mean that women are responding to signals of “male quality” when it comes to reproduction. And with respect to short-term mating, women may be drawn to ‘bad boys’, who demonstrate confidence, stubbornness, and risk-taking tendencies. Second, sexual conflict may be at play. The investigators state that “Women may be responding to DT men’s ability to ‘sell themselves’; a useful tactic in a co-evolutionary ‘arms race’ in which men convince women to pursue the former’s preferred sexual strategy.” They note that like a “used-car dealer,” Dark Triad men may be effective charmers and manipulators, furthering their success at short-term mating. The authors are also careful to note that though women rated the DT character as comparatively more attractive, it does not necessarily mean that they would have sex with them.

Carter and his team report the limitations of the study, including that the participants were undergraduates, a population that tends to be oriented towards short-term relationships. In addition, the Dark Triad character embodied all of the descriptors of the “Dirty Dozen” measure, while the control character had none. In the real world, the investigators acknowledge that both Dark Triad traits and their derivatives run along a continuum, which was not captured in this study.

This study is part of a growing body of research unveiling women's dueling desires. On the one hand, they express wanting a relationship with a loving and committed partner for the long-term. Yet on the other hand, they demonstrate an attraction to men with darker personalities, typically for the short-term. It is important to recognize, however, that this dynamic has been shaped by the demands of evolution. For the women who fall for bad boys—and the men who love them—these insights may help untangle this paradox.

source url: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... KctFkEN_dE

session two:

*Flights cancelled as China Airlines pilots strike, after Taiwanese firm’s chiefs fail to meet demands for more rest time
Union said it had no choice after managers failed to satisfy demands to improve their working conditions
Pilot strike likely to cause severe disruption to passengers

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 07 February, 2019, 9:33pm
UPDATED : Friday, 08 February, 2019, 10:38am

Taiwan's main air carrier, China Airlines, began cancelling flights on Friday following a strike staged by its pilots, who are demanding better working conditions.

The airline cancelled at least 26 inbound and outbound flights between Friday and Sunday, including those to Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Bangkok and Manila. Passengers were being advised to check the latest flight conditions before going to the airport.

The strike is expected to cause long delays and confusion at airports in Taiwan, as it comes in the midst of the Lunar New Year holiday, the busiest air travel period on the island, when airports handle some 20,000 passengers daily – around 6,000 more than usual.

The transport ministry has set up an emergency task force to deal with the issue and China Airlines said it would not give up holding talks with the union.

The pilots’ union, known as Pilots Union Taoyuan, claimed in a statement that China Airlines has refused to address fatigue brought on by its “red-eye” and late-night flights, and that it “had no choice” but to take industrial action until its members are granted more rest time.

The dispute by the union dates back to last year, when the union voted in favour of a strike to address what it described as the airline’s failure to look after its pilots’ health and welfare.

At that time, the union agreed to suspend the strike for a year to give the airline’s management time to improve working conditions. Talks between the airline, union and labour authorities resumed last week, but broke down shortly thereafter.

A statement from the union said the management’s response was “highly disappointing” and that the company had refused to hire more pilots, citing a sharp rise in personnel costs that would undermine its competitiveness.

“Pilots are not machines or robots,” union leader Lee Hsin-yen said. “They need rest after working for long periods.

“Paying them more will not resolve the issue, and will only increase the risk to passengers if pilots are not given enough time to rest.”

Hsieh Shih-chien, the president of China Airlines, said his company had done all it could to try to resolve the dispute, agreeing to adjust the pay and rest time offered to pilots.

Airlines officials said the pilots have one of the best-paid jobs in Taiwan, with a monthly salary of NT$340,000 (US$11,000) and a wealth of other benefits, including an aviation safety bonus and long holidays.

Hsieh said a strike would cause serious inconvenience to passengers, but that the airline would do its best to help them reach their destinations.

The airline was hit by a two-day strike by cabin crew in 2016, which resulted in the cancellation of 122 international flights and costs of US$9 million.

The strike also disrupted the travelling itineraries of more than 30,000 passengers, including close to 5,300 Taiwanese who were stranded overseas.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Pilots with China Airlines may strike

sorce url: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society ... a-airlines

*Groups denounce sudden China Airlines pilot strike
By Jason Pan / Staff reporter, with CNA

A strike by China Airlines pilots yesterday caused long delays and commotion at Taiwan’s major airports, with the airline flooded with complaints after passengers found that their bookings had been canceled and ground staff scrambling to arrange alternative itineraries on other airlines.

Travel agencies and consumer groups denounced the disruption as a severe breach of passengers’ rights and called on the airline to provide refunds free of charge.

China Airlines yesterday canceled nearly 30 inbound and outbound flights, including on mainline routes to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Manila, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, New York and Los Angeles.

The Travel Agent Association of Taiwan, which represents agencies and their employees, in a statement condemned the Taoyuan Union of Pilots for proceeding with the strike with little advance warning.

“Consumers are being held for ransom and used as bargaining chips in a labor-management dispute,” the association said.

“The strike has affected China Airlines flights to the US, Japan, Hong Kong and other Southeast Asian destinations, resulting in the cancelation of at least 28 flights” yesterday and today, it said. “It has led to disruptions and severely inconvenienced people traveling abroad and returning home during the Lunar New Year holiday.”

“The strike will also see people stranded abroad and we deeply regret that it has come to this situation,” the statement said.

The association recognizes the need to fight for better labor rights, but strongly disagrees with the action, it said, adding that it was like a “surprise attack” against the airline.

“We believe that the union should have given advance warning, so that the public could have better prepared,” the association said. “The timing of the strike is taking a high toll and has led to the waste of public resources.”

Association officials said that they would provide all necessary assistance to help members handle the situation and defuse disputes to protect the rights of passengers and travel agencies.

“However, the strike has affected many sectors and we urge the government to mediate in the conflict to ensure that it ends as soon as possible and contain the damage as much as possible,” they said.

China Airlines should not ask passengers to pay additional fees if they seek a refund or rebooking on other airlines, Consumers’ Foundation officials said.

They said that passengers should keep all receipts if they need to pay for hotel stays, meals or transportation due to the strike, so they could claim back the expenses from the airline or their travel insurance after returning to Taiwan.

Meanwhile, China Airlines urged passengers to check the latest updates before heading to the airport.

A “pilot union strike information” page on the airline’s Web site that includes a refund function can be accessed at news.china-airlines.com/emer/info_en.aspx

It said its Taipei customer service hotline ([02]-412-9000) would be available around the clock as long as the strike continues.

source url: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003709462

reference article: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... ines-offer

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:30 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請先閱讀過所有文章,至少為這兩主題各準備一個問題,於小組討論時與組員討論, 謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 2/12(Tue.) your questions are as good as mine.. (Host: L

文章 Kooper »

Wow Luis.
You are trying really hard to help us get back into study mode by giving four articles a time. :shock: :lol:
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

1. To ask people to prepare one question is a very good way to force attendees to read the articles!

2. Why do women fall for bad boys? Hahaha.... This question is always the one Luis is interested in.

I will try my best to attend the meeting.
morris25
YOYO member
文章: 65
註冊時間: 週一 5月 07, 2012 8:35 am

文章 morris25 »

I do not think women fall for bad boys first.
On the contrary, it is that the boys become bad because/after too many women fall for them.
We need to carefully study what is the cause or the effect.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

hi, Kooper, hope you guys will be in the mood haa~ :mrgreen:

hi, Michael, there are a lot of questions interest me so, don't bother ah~ if you are not that interested in it. 8)

hi, Morris, it might be the case as you say, but then, you just can't deny some women keep falling after those boys become bad.. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Luis,

Don't get me wrong. I am always interested in topics about romantic relationship. And I want to attend because I like the idea of preparing our own questions.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

then, i really got you wrong la~

but then again, guess you should have just said,

1. I like the idea of preparing our own questions. To ask people to prepare one question is a very good way to force attendees to read the articles!

2. Why do women fall for bad boys? Hahaha.... I am always interested in topics about romantic relationship.

I will try my best to attend the meeting.

then i wouldn't have got it wrong lo~ 8)

attendees,

Devry, John, Andy Liu, Steve, Rock, Wendy, Lulu, Shirley, Chris, David, James, Christine, Julian

thank you guys for coming oh~ :D

by the way, it's absolutely not because i was lazy to prepare questions. instead, i really believe that questions from you guys will make more diversity, and more fun maybe, of our discussions la~ :lol:
回覆文章