3/19(Tue.) Is Thanos a bad guy? (Host: David Jr.)

回覆文章
頭像
David Jr.
Vice President
文章: 257
註冊時間: 週二 8月 19, 2003 12:07 am
來自: Lonely Planet
聯繫:

3/19(Tue.) Is Thanos a bad guy? (Host: David Jr.)

文章 David Jr. »

Hello Everyone,

We are going to discuss Thanos, the main antagonist (or protagonist) in the Marvel movie: Avengers 3: Infinity War. I personally enjoy the movie a lot and I was intrigued by this god-like Titan's crazy yet never-ending determination. I suggest you to watch the movie before coming to the meeting. We will have interesting discussion about this anti-hero and his ideology in the 1st session. We will then talk about overpopulation on earth, the consequences overpopulation brings and finally we will see if we can help Thanos find alternative solution to re-balance the Universe (or at least the Earth we live) by using his Infinity Gauntlet.

圖檔

Must-Read material:
Is Thanos Right About Killing People In 'Avengers: Infinity War'?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/ ... ded1ab1c58

Reference information if you have extra time:
World Population Clock: 7.7 Billion People (2019) - Worldometers
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Discussion Questions in Session 1:
1. How will you describe Thanos' personality or character in the movie Avengers: Infinity War?
** Is Thanos a hero or a villain?
** Does Thanos want or care to be treated as a hero?
** What made a hero and what made a villain?

2. With the great power of Infinity Gaunlet, Thanos' finger snap wiped out half of the universe's "all life", either animals or plants, in just seconds.
** What do you think about Thanos' ideology to rebalance the Universe?
Sometimes we hear the analogy that human population growth is likened to the spread of cancer cells.
** What's wrong with sacrificing a portion of life (esp. human beings) to rebalance the world (at least for a period of time)?

3. Can we treat or imagine Thanos with great power of Infinity Gauntlet as a "God"? A "God" in cruel version, even though Thanos called that mercy.

Discussion Questions in Session 2:
4. Please try to list as more consequences as possible that arise from overpopulation, and imagine what the situation is like when reaching 10 billion population.
** Do you believe there is a "natural capacity" - a maximum amount of people our planet can support?
** Is overpopulation the main reason leading to "imbalance" of the Universe/the Earth?
** Is population reaching 10 billion a crisis point? Or it's just a number, not a big deal?

5. Without miracle powers given by anyone or anything, can we human beings alone deal with above mentioned problems and consequences effectively and efficiently? How?
** What are the hurdles that drag our heels?

6. Instead of wiping out half population, if you could give Thanos advices to rethink how to use the power of Infinity Gauntlet, what will you suggest to Thanos?

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:30 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
***************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請先閱讀過文章以方便小組討論

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 David Jr. 於 週一 3月 18, 2019 10:26 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Remember all what your mom has told you, and do the opposite.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 3/19(Tue.) Is Thanos a bad guy? (Host: David Jr.)

文章 Luis Ko »

David is really my type.. ah~ i mean this topic is right to my taste haa~ see you guys then. :lol:

here are U.S. and World population clock running live. you might not be able to imagine how fast the world population increases before you watch the clocks running. however, the numbers on this two sites are different. just no idea how they count it?

https://www.census.gov/popclock

http://www.theworldcounts.com/counters/ ... clock_live
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

文章 Georgia »

I discussed this movie with my student last year. It was a good one!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Right, what Holly mentioned about kangaroo is exact a way for human beings to control the environment- culling animals, the way similar to Thanos has done. Though it's not chicken but kangaroo or other animals, still what goes round comes round!
In this sense, it would therefore be quite justifiable if there was aliens out there trying to do what Thanos did to us, wasn't it? XD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章