3/23 (Sat) Intentional Living (Host: Annie)

回覆文章
Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

3/23 (Sat) Intentional Living (Host: Annie)

文章 Annie Zhang »

Hi,

Sorry for the late post! I just came back from the US, and there was one idea that truly inspired me while my traveling, that is “ Intentional Living”. Although people have been talking about this concept couple years ago, I found it quite interesting that how living intentionally affects our small daily actions, and our lives. There is a huge difference between a person who live like a robot, and a person who lives the life he/she wants, the key word is all about “INTENTIONAL”. We are going to talk more how to live our lives on purpose this Saturday, hope to you see there!

———————————————————————————————————————————-————————————————————————————

Let’s begin with Kathleen Ventura’s speech and article:

1. TED speech
How Intentional Living Breeds Freedom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmvbBlxj5E

2. Article
Living Intentionally Creates Freedom Like You’ve Never Imagined:
https://consciousmagazine.co/living-int ... -imagined/

Living Intentionally Creates Freedom Like You’ve Never Imagined

At this time in history, more people are sleepwalking their way through life than ever before. There’s no denying that.

It’s easy to simply “go with the flow,” follow the crowd and be a zombie connected to every device in front of your face.

But living on autopilot leads to deep dissatisfaction, frustration, and confusion. This kind of experience typically brings up questions like, “How is this my life...how did I get here?”

The answer to those questions is simple: it’s because you haven’t been living intentionally.

I define living intentionally as, “actively participating in the creation of a lifestyle that is in alignment with one’s unique values and priorities.” Living intentionally is when you deliberately create a life you love, versus accepting whatever happens to come your way.

But here is the good news: You have the ability to start living intentionally right at this very moment. And the even better news is that living intentionally has the potential to create freedom like you’ve never imagined.

The philosophy is that when you deliberately make choices for your own life, you will have a lifestyle full of the things that are actually important to you.

When you are living in such a way that everything surrounding you (your relationships, your work, your wellbeing, your family, your spiritual practice, your philanthropy) is exactly as you designed it, you begin to feel free. You will feel free from old conditioning, which told you that having what you want is hard, or that it doesn’t come easy.
But when you feel free, you will inspire others to live intentionally and create their own freedom. So you’re breeding freedom, so to speak.

As humans, we are good at complicating things. So here are my three overly-simplified steps for how you can start creating personal freedom through intentional living:

01 | Identify Your Values

The “sleepwalking” epidemic comes from a lifetime of accepting others’ values as our own and not questioning them. So here is your opportunity to question all of those values, and pick new ones.

Write out your top 5-10 values. What is most important to you when it comes to where you live, who you spend your time with, what work you do, and what causes you support with either your time or donations? What do you value about your health and wellbeing? What is most important to you around family, travel, politics, the environment, and so on?

02 | Live According To Your Values

This is where it can get a bit overwhelming, so take one thing at a time. Take a look at the top value on your list.

Are you living in direct alignment with that value? For example, maybe your top value is, do work that is ethical and for-purpose, but you are working at a company who openly cuts corners and doesn’t make you feel like you’re contributing to a greater purpose.

What can you do today to shift, so you are in alignment with your top value of doing ethical, for-purpose work? You might consider searching for a new job, asking to be transferred or promoted, so you can take a leadership role and make changes yourself. You could even consider starting your own business.

03 | Take Action Consistently

First decide what your objective is, then start with small, bite-sized actions every single day. This is about changing the trajectory of your life by making micro-adjustments, not by burning everything to the ground and building up from the ashes.

Decide what your objective is, put dates on the calendar, do the research, enlist help, decide if you need to save some money and how much, and so on. There will be a time for quantum leaps, but you have to flex your living intentionally muscles first.

One by one, go through your newly established values. You can even journal or talk to a loved one about them. This is your opportunity to feel creative and excited about how your lifestyle is going to look and feel in the near future.
Be patient with yourself and expect naysayers on your journey. When things feel frustrating, always come back to your list of values and remind yourself why it is so important to take these conscious and deliberate steps every single day.

Session 1

Here are some examples to understand your intention. Your intention can be anything, such as relationships, career, fitness, health, happiness, life, time…etc.

I found some examples, if you haven’t got the idea of living intentionally. 
(Source: https://www.janellepaigebrandom.com/adv ... ional-life)

Example 1. If you are single, and you want a marriage, you can ask yourself: Do I want to date with the intention of marriage?
◦ If the answer is yes, then, does this mean he/she meets your “must have” requirements of ideal partner of life?
◦ If the answer is no, then i’m not intentionally dating.

Example 2. Do I want to be in the best shape I can be?
◦ If the answer is yes, then, am I doing the workouts consistently that I know will help me achieve my goals?
◦ If the answer is no, then i’m not being intentional with my fitness.

Example 3. Do I want to feel good about what I put in my body?
◦ If the answer is yes, then, Am I overeating? Am I eating for pure enjoyment and not fuel? Am I eating foods that are bad for me instead of feeding my muscles?
◦ If the answer is no, then I’m not eating with intention.

———

The author defines living intentionally as, “Actively participating in the creation of a lifestyle that is in alignment with one’s unique values and priorities.” We are living in a culture filled with distractions, that can happen quite easily, let’s try to start living intentionally by discussing these questions:

Questions:

1. What was the best thing that happened to you this week?

2. At the moment, do you think you are living like a robot, “going with the flow” (the decisions are made by others) or you are living with a purpose (the decisions are made by yourself)?

3. Did you ever have the experience that you gave up something of real value to you in order to meet the need of another person?

Session 2

Questions:

1. Who had helped you recently? Or have you done something to help others?

2. Do you think you lived in alignment with your values? Are you going through your daily activities with a goal? Please share your bite-sized actions if you have.

3. Life is too short! Please share one thing you always want to do but you haven't done. Or please share one thing you have already achieved.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Annie Zhang 於 週五 3月 22, 2019 7:57 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: 3/23 (Sat) Intentional Living (Host: Annie)

文章 tashi »

Nice topic!

One of my ex-colleague, a talented software developer once told me that he always tries to have a focus and a purpose on something and he thought it's what everyone should do in their daily life.

In the past few years of cultivating my own desire, I finally agree with what he said. If the world is the system and we are the developer/architect to implement what we want, no matter is just about ourselves or about the whole society, how could we do a good job when we don't do it intentionally?

There is a saying "如果你沒有計劃,你就會被別人計劃。" Kind of similar but use "Intention" is much more straight forward to me.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

We all have the desire to lead a better life and ultimately to live life to the fullest. The truth however is the opposite: not many people feel confident or comfortable to claim that they’ve achieved it, or at least are on the right path. Let’s be honest. It’s never easy to break constraints in life, and there’s probably no one-size-fits-all approach for everyone and in every situation. People get stuck in life for various reasons. To move forward, every individual has their own mental weaknesses to overcome. That’s why we see different experts address the topic in different ways.

If we stay paralyzed out of fears, Tim Ferriss in his TED talk "Why You Should Define Your Fears Instead of Your Goals" taught us how to identify the fears and get them over. If we are hopeless procrastinators, Tim Urban in "Inside The Mind of a Master Procrastinator" warned that the Panic Monster will never wake up in mind and turn the table in those long-term non-deadline situations, and Laura Vanderkam advised us to treat our priorities with a sense of urgency, as if a water heater has broken and our house is submerged in water. Kathleen Ventura showed how small, bite-sized actions every single day help achieving an otherwise intimidating goal.

If the problem exists in the confusion of values being upheld, we need to do a serious introspection or self-analysis to figure out what our true priorities and life goals are.
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

I am going to miss this valuable topic

that's too bad ! :cry:
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(21): Alice, Andy Liu, Annie (host), Apple, Christine Hsiu, David Jr., Gloria, Iris Wu, Jacy, John Huang, Julian, Ken, Kooper, Leon, Luis, Michelle, Ryu, Steve Cheng, Tim, Tom, Winston
回覆文章