4/27(Sat.) Films and their alternatives (Host : Douglas)

回覆文章
Douglas
YOYO member
文章: 13
註冊時間: 週三 12月 09, 2015 3:43 pm

4/27(Sat.) Films and their alternatives (Host : Douglas)

文章 Douglas »

This weekend we are going to discuss different forms of films and ways of enjoying them.
Session I Documentaries
Recently more and more Taiwanese and foreign documentaries are played in theaters. Here are some of the titles:
https://dailyview.tw/Daily/2015/08/22
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%87%91 ... 4%E7%89%87
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls031465606/

Questions for discussion:
1. Please share your experience of watching documentaries. Do you like watching documentaries? Do you watch them often? Why or why not? Do you watch documentaries in the same way you enjoy movies? Do you buy tickets to watch them in theaters? Why or why not?
2. Do you think documentaries are good educational or promotional tools? Why or why not?
3. What makes a good documentary film? Would you recommend some of the documentaries on the list above or other ones? Is there any on your watching list?
4. From 2018 on, films that win the Best Documentary in Golden Horse Award would qualify at the same time as candidates for the The Academy Awards (the Oscars). What are your opinions on this news?

Session II Streaming vs. Theaters
Nowadays traditional media have been to different extents under threat of substitution by digital ones. Theaters and broadcasted TV, both yielding users to streaming platforms, are recent examples.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/m ... sus-cinema

Questions for discussion:
1. Please share your experience of watching TV through Streaming Video Services (like MOD, Netflix, 愛奇藝, Line TV, Youtube…). Do you think traditional broadcasted TV (like cable TV) will be replaced?
2. “I hope all of us really continue to believe that the greatest contributions we can make as film-makers is to give audiences the motion picture theatrical experience. I’m a firm believer that movie theatres need to be around for ever … There’s nothing like going to a big, dark theatre with people you’ve never met before and having the experience wash over you. That’s something we all truly believe in.” Do you agree with Spielberg’s statements? What’s the point of visiting “a big, dark theatre with people you’ve never met before”?
3. What do you think a ‘movie’ is? Do you agree that Netflix movies should go to the Emmy Award (the US counterpart of the Golden Bell Award)?
4. Will the movie theaters stand forever? Do you go to less movies due to convenience of streaming video services?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization / Regrouping (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Break
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 4:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 4/27(Sat.) Films and their alternatives (Host : Douglas)

文章 Iris Wu »

After reading the listed articles, I realized that I've hardly paid attention to the film industry. When I watch movies, I focus more on the story, the contents, and the philosophy behind the scene than the screen size, visual effects and other artistic presentation. I guess it’s related to my left brain and right brain development! :)

And so streaming or any more convenient film delivery mechanism are probably more appealing to me. But I certainly understand that movies are a kind of performing art, it has much more than just the story, the plots, and we need a good facility to enjoy and appreciate them all.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2727
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Documentaries and I used to be two parallel lines that never met, but time changes everything. I’ve now found myself slowly developing a stomach for them.

The last time I watched a documentary was to prepare attending one YOYO meeting – thanks again to YOYO for broadening my horizons. Some of you might get what the film was right off the bat; it was Where to Invade Next, directed by Michael Moore. The movie was eye-opening, inspiring, and at the same time light-hearted, thus it was a pleasant watching experience. Where to Invade Next was shot with the attempt to raise Americans’ awareness over some serious domestic social problems. The themes were heavy, but Moore was clever conveying them in a non-lecturing, non-preaching, and uncritical tone. That made it much more approachable and consequently more contagious and influential.

Besides watching documentaries themselves, I also find it intriguing to watch or listen to directors talking about their work. Lately I listened to podcasts interviewing 楊力州, 沈可尚 over their new movies紅盒子 and 幸福定格. That aroused my interests and plan to watch them at my convenience. I also learnt a lot about the evolution of the directors’ definition of a good documentary, how they adjusted on the fly the movie themes as shooting went by after gaining deeper insights into the subject, and how they spotted the right moment to end the shooting and wrapped the movies up for theaters.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

What’s the point of visiting “a big, dark theatre with people you’ve never met before”?

guess people found that the way for getting the clearest images from a movie was to project it on a big screen under dark environment, after movie had been invented. and as it became a commercial activity later, for getting more money from it the business needed to have a place as big enough as possible to accommodate those who pay for seeing it. i assume that's why we have movie theater.

there's no point to visit a theater with people you have never met. we won't be happy if people's behavior or voices grate on us when enjoying a movie, not to mention if it's from a total stranger. the point is to go there with those who you already know and spend time together in my opinion. that's all.

as for documentary film, guess you need to be keen on the theme or, to have a keen eye for it lo~ 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

here i want to change my opinion about theater after the discussion. guess Ken is right that the point to go to a big and dark theater with people you have never met before is to enjoy not only a movie but also the vibe of the theater that resonates with the feelings about it. it's absolutely an add-on to the movie i would say. that's really very great. therefore i dare say there will always be theaters out there lo~ haa~ :mrgreen:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Yes, seeing a movie in theater is totally different than at home.

I went to see a documentary in theater. It is an amazing story!!! so I didn't want to wait for DVD.

11月8日,奧斯卡金像獎公布了第91屆奧斯卡最佳紀錄片獎候選名單。近來在全球多個影展上獲獎的華語紀錄片《求救信》名列其中。

《求救信》從美國俄勒岡州的一名普通女性朱麗‧凱斯(Julie Keith)在Kmart超市購買的萬聖節裝飾品中意外發現了一封信開始。這封信竟是從八千公里之外的中國瀋陽馬三家勞教所祕密傳出的求救信。她將信上傳到社交媒體後,吸引了包括CNN、FOX News、《紐約時報》、《環球郵報》等多家國際媒體的關注,引發一系列連鎖反應。

在世界另一端——中國,神祕的寫信者孫毅聽聞了這一消息,冒著自己和家人安全的風險,決定進一步揭露這場對人權的迫害。他與導演李雲翔(Leon Lee)合作,在嚴密監控下用鏡頭記錄下他真實的生活,並走訪曾經的馬三家勞教人員,獲取第一手資料。影片還根據孫毅本人手繪的場景,用動畫的方式反映了他在馬三家勞教所期間的遭遇。《求救信》向公眾展示了這名斯文的中國工程師和一位美國普通家庭主婦是如何改寫歷史。

導演李雲翔表示,非常榮幸獲得參選奧斯卡最佳紀錄片獎的資格。「這是讓更多人了解《求救信》的機會。孫毅和他的故事應該被世界知道,被歷史銘記。這場持續了近20年的人權迫害在中國仍在發生,我們每個人都可以從收信人朱莉的經歷獲得啓發,做自己力所能及的事情,幫助儘早地結束這場迫害。
回覆文章