5/14 (Tue.): How Often Do You Break the Law? (Host: Dan)

回覆文章
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

5/14 (Tue.): How Often Do You Break the Law? (Host: Dan)

文章 Dan »

Session I: How Often Do You Break the Law…(and are Some Laws Meant to be Broken)?

At least a few Taiwanese people have told me—often with a hint of pride in their voices—that it’s part of Taiwanese culture to not follow rules.
Of course, if true, a fondness for flouting rules and “minor” laws wouldn’t be unique to Taiwan. But this is worth exploring.

Be honest, how often do you:

• Drive over the speed limit?
• Text while driving (perhaps while also speeding)?
• Park illegally?
• Litter?
• Cheat on your taxes?
• Engage in illegal betting
• Pilfer company office supplies or make personal copies at work?
• Fail to return money to a cashier when you realize she gave you too much change back?
• Drink or eat on the MRT?
• Download or stream pirated films and music?
• Share prescription medicines with friends and family?

Further:
• Have you ever had sex in a park, on a beach or other public space?
• Shoplifted an item you really wanted but couldn’t afford?
• Taken (or smoked) illegal drugs?

I don’t think I have to remind you of the YoYo Code of “Honor”: What is said in a YoYo meeting, stays in the YoYo meeting, including any confessions of guilt or admissions of criminal wrongdoing. :wink:

Questions for Session I:

1. How often do you break rules and laws? Examples, please. Do you feel guilty when you commit these offenses?

2. Do you think there are too many rules and laws regulating Taiwanese society and, if so, please name a few--or several—that you think should be done away with?

3. Sometimes are there good reasons to break the law? If so, please elaborate.

4. A person reports someone who broke a minor law to police: Do you consider that person to be good citizen or a “rat”?

Links for reference:

Some laws we commonly break:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkXthV5qfOA

An article looking at why people say they break the law and the reality of the situation:
https://goingconcern.com/why-do-people-break-law/

Given how Taiwanese people drive, would this turkey make a good traffic cop here or end up as road kill?
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=423325585071057

Session II: How Well Do You Think Laws are Enforced in Taiwan?

After looking at how people routinely break the law—at least what they consider to be minor laws–let’s look at how well you think the laws are enforced in Taiwan. This includes more serious offenses. We’ll also look at your wiliness to report crimes.

Questions for Session II:

1. Do you trust the police and judges in Taiwan to adequately, fairly and evenly enforce the law? Do wealthy, famous or well-connected individuals often get favored treatment?

2. Is corruption among judges and other government officials still a problem in Taiwan when it comes to how the law is enforced?

3. If you witnessed someone breaking what might be considered a “minor” law, but one that creates a public safety hazard, would you report the person to police or other government agency? Why or why not?
(Examples of offenses include someone maintaining an illegal structure on top of your building that could fall to the street in a magnitude 5.0 or higher earthquake, or a man driving a scooter badly overloaded with gas tanks).

4. Is it a valid excuse for someone who breaks a law that is not usually prosecuted to claim he didn’t know his action was against the law? Should he receive a lighter penalty?

5. For some crimes in Taiwan, the legal system permits, even encourages, the person who committed the crime to pay the victim for any injury or property damage the latter sustained and then the criminal case is dropped. Do you agree with this? Would you accept money from the perpetrator of a serious crime and agree to drop the case?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:30 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins) ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 5/14 (Tue.): How Often Do You Break the Law? (Host: Dan)

文章 Luis Ko »

right, that what happens in Vegas sense of prerequisite is absolutely needed for this meeting, otherwise.. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

It’s so challenging to attend YoYo meetings. You are asked to reflect and confess to all sorts of bad habits, undisciplined behavior and even unlawful thoughts crossing your mind. :)

Breaking the law/rules at a personal level is one aspect to discuss, which I think Taiwan has improved quite a lot as a whole compared to previous generations or compared to some other Asian countries.

I’d like to bring up a kind of cheating or breaking rules/breaking public trust by a business or corporation, which I see it’s like a pattern and is still very popular in our society. An example is that builders (or construction companies) exaggerate and promise unrealized features during the pre-sales. Consumers are easy to be confused by the vague legal descriptions in the contract. If there is any dispute, it takes a lot of effort and time-consuming, energy-draining process to sue a big corporation. Most consumers would just give up, even they are entitled to pursue their legal rights! Maybe that’s another topic, but how Taiwanese are willing to use available legal resources to protect their lawful rights is another aspect to look into Taiwan’s society.
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

文章 Dan »

This session wasn't really intended to cover unlawful or impure thoughts, Iris, but if you want to confess anything, we will be happy to listen. :D

Yes, I think corporate misdeeds and chicanery would be a good idea for a separate session. There would be plenty to talk about!
回覆文章