5/25(Sat.) The Future of Marriage (Host: Tom)

回覆文章
Tom Lee
YOYO member
文章: 51
註冊時間: 週三 10月 30, 2013 8:51 pm

文章 Tom Lee »

Extracted from: https://electronics360.globalspec.com/a ... f-marriage

Apparently marrying robots and holograms is a new reality. Just how many people have married a robot or hologram? Not enough people have openly married a robot or hologram to gather exact data, but according to some technology experts, technology marriages are soon going to be a normal part of our lives.

One Japanese man has taken the plunge into robot-human partnership. Akihiko Kondo, from Tokyo, has married his Gatebox Virtual Robot. The Gatebox Virtual Robot was designed to be a companion for people who want to give up on dating, but do not want to be lonely. Gatebox can text Kondo while he is at work, turn on lights when he is coming home, brush her teeth with him, carry on a conversation and more.

Kondo named his hologram Hatsune Miku. Miku is a hologram of a 16-year-old female singer. Kondo and Miku “married” in early November in front of 40 guests. None of Kondo’s family attended the wedding. Kondo spent two million yen, or $17,600, on the ceremony and matching wedding rings. Kondo has a stuffed version of Miku that he sleeps with.

“I never cheated on her, I’ve always been in love with Miku-san. I’ve been thinking about her every day I’m in love with the whole concept of Hatsune Miku but I got married to the Miku of my house.” Kondo told The Japan Times.

While the Japanese government does not recognize this union as a legal marriage, Gatebox issued the couple a cross-dimension marriage certificate. Kondo is not the only person who has received one of these. According to Gatebox, they have issued 3,700 cross-dimension marriage certificates.

At a 2016 conference on this subject, David Levey, author of “Love + Sex with Robots,” predicted that by 2050 legal and recognized technology marriages will exist. David Hanson, the creator of Sophia the Robot, an AI-based robot who is a legal citizen in Saudi Arabia, believes technology marriage could come earlier than that. In his research paper, "Entering the Age of Living Intelligence Systems and Android Society," Hanson says that he believes a robot civil rights movement, including the right to marry, will happen by 2045.

Kondo is not the only man who is in a technology marriage. In 2017, Zheng Jiajia built and married a robot in China after he gave up on dating human women. His robot wife can’t do things like walk or hold a full conversation, but don’t worry. Jiajia has plans to upgrade her so she can walk, talk and help with household chores.

Why are people marrying robots? The gender gap in China and Japan may be partly to blame. According to a 2016 World Economic Forum Global Gender Gap Report, for every 100 women born in China, 114 men were born. The report ranked Japan at 111 out of 144 countries on the gender gap scale. It also says that the average length of single life in Japan is 30 for women and 31 for men. This gender inequality results in more single and lonely men that are turning to unconventional partnerships.

Falling population rates is another factor that will affect partnerships. Since 2015, Japan’s population rates have been dropping rapidly. According to 2010 and 2015 census reports, Japan’s population dropped by one million people in five years. In 2018, for the 37th year in a row, the number of children born in Japan has dropped. A 2015 report on aging populations predicts that 40% of Japan’s population will be defined as elderly by 2050. The rising interest in hologram and robot marriages could be linked to these population problems.

It looks like technology marriages are not going away any time soon. There are plenty of questions that can be asked about this trend, but for now, we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

session 1:

Q1. Why do you think people will marry robots?

Q2. What country do you think will be the first one to recognize this union as a legal marrige?

Q3. Do you think marriage with a robot will become normal? If so, at what year do you think that will happen?

Q4. If the robot is a man, do you think any woman will marry this "man"?

session 2:

Q5. Can you accept that a robot has its own civil rights? What civil right should a robot have?

Q6. If you want a robot to company with you (not only marrige), what is the most factor that you think the robot should have?

Q7. What problem will occur if we legalize human-robot marriage?

Q8. What future marriage do you think is most suitable? (1 man and 2 women, 1 human with a robot...)

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization / Regrouping (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Break
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 4:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 5/25(Sat.) The Future of Marriage (Host: Tom)

文章 Luis Ko »

marrying robots and holograms?

right, marriage this term has widely been abused recently. then again, why is marriage the term so important to many people? i would say the term merely denotes a regulation under which the life of a certified relationship, most of time it involves only two parties, will not only have certain shared responsibilities between them but also have certain rights following up that will be protected accordingly. therefore, it supposes that the protection is the key point why people care about marriage so much instead of the term. i know some people who have different opinions would be quick to level them or what but, man alive, marrying robots and holograms? they are just like toys or gadgets you buy, out with the old and in with the new. why bother having a so-called marriage with them? that's really beyond my imagination. to make it short, what do people really want? a companion? the protection? or simply i got married?! :lol:
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週三 5月 22, 2019 1:21 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
JohnH
YOYO member
文章: 27
註冊時間: 週日 5月 13, 2018 11:10 pm

文章 JohnH »

There's one episode called "Be Right Back" in black mirror series which touched on this topic as well. Not only that, it even took one step further by introducing the concept of clone combined with big data analysis and machine learning. As it turned out in that episode, we humans might one day own the technology to create the living being which looks exactly like whomever we want it to be and implant the memory of someone into this being via building up a big database and writing an algorithm to instruct it on how to behave and think. When that happens, I don't know whether or not it could simply be treated as a robot. Furthermore, it looks to me that the gender gap is ever widening in this generation and the marriage even becomes a luxury to people in modern days, which to some extent foster the development of this technology. It's a bit striking to me that in the near future technology could tailor-make a creature as our spouse who fits with our personality and even meets all the criteria, both physically and mentally. Will we get stuck in our ideological world? After all, one part in us deep down has the desire to be understood and needs companionship and when there's another substitute coming up to take the place of marriage, our social behaviors change accordingly. By the way, it 's really a very thoughtful and provocative topic.
JohnH
YOYO member

文章 JohnH »

Luis Ko 寫:marrying robots and holograms?

right, marriage this term has widely been abused recently. then again, why is marriage the term so important to many people? i would say the term merely denotes a regulation under which the life of a certified relationship, most of time it involves only two parties, will not only have certain shared responsibilities between them but also have certain rights following up that will be protected accordingly. therefore, it supposes that the protection is the key point why people care about marriage so much instead of the term. i know some people who have different opinions would be quick to level them or what but, man alive, marrying robots and holograms? they are just like toys or gadgets you buy, out with the old and in with the new. why bother having a so-called marriage with them? that's really beyond my imagination. to make it short, what do people really want? a companion? the protection? or simply i got married?! :lol:
Hi Luis,
Indeed right now at this point it's really hard to imagine why there are some people out there who would like to do that but what if we were to take this question one more step further and set it under the condition that those robots are actually living creatures with human genes, I think this question would become much more complex and not easy to see through. One day there might be a world in which those artificially synthesized beings are customized and made based on our needs, such as personality, sexual orientation, or spiritual connection, in the way that there's no difference in physical appearance between the real humans and them. The societal structure of Japan is distinct and men are working longer and longer, and so do women in this era. The lack of social skills, extreme working conditions, suppressive corporate culture and so on might be the factors, facilitating this trend. I think I will leave a question to you as ending— Would you like to marry a being which resembles your dream woman and are very sexually attractive and suits your personality very much and meets all your criteria for a spouse and most importantly, is indistinguishable from humans with the premise that the one who makes it has all the information and data about you.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

it might be a bit reductive to say but, to answer your question, who would never want to have a perfect life partner? if i had the chance, i would probably like to have one too. then again, the thing is, the thing is why i have to marry them? or without wanting to sound harsh in any way, why it has to be a marriage? why on earth do those artificial beings have to be programmed to long for marriage? right, i will leave you with these questions for the day lo~ :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
JohnH
YOYO member

文章 JohnH »

Luis Ko 寫:it might be a bit reductive to say but, to answer your question, who would never want to have a perfect life partner? if i had the chance, i would probably like to have one too. then again, the thing is, the thing is why i have to marry them? or without wanting to sound harsh in any way, why it has to be a marriage? why on earth do those artificial beings have to be programmed to long for marriage? right, i will leave you with these questions for the day lo~ :lol:
Hi Luis,
I am still on the training program outside of Taipei so I won't make it this Saturday. In response to your question, I would say that there are too many aspects involved in terms of the benefits of marriage under the societal system we are living in so I can only put it in a nutshell here. Moreover, there are a lot of incentives to marriage and we are kind of at the transition stage between two generations with each holding the value different from the other, kind of like placing one of your feet in the old and the other in the new. To begin with, let's suppose that there's one person who wants a kid and he has one by the means you can think of, like adopting or having one give birth to it for him. If he brings the kid back in the family gathering without the biological mother present, the chance is that some of his family members might have the ugly looks on their face and it might take forever before they can put themselves into his shoes.(There are loads of things which totally makes sense to one generation but seems abnormal to the last.) Furthermore, without the protection of marriage and the one playing the role as "mother" what's laid ahead of this kid would be rocky and tough. I am not saying the child brought up by a single parent will go astray and have no bright future. It's just that by comparison the hassles and hurdles needed to overcome for someone raised in this non-typical family are a difficult issue. If the technology I mentioned earlier is available, then this need could be met accordingly. This organic being looking like a human, which are implanted the memory we want it to have and biologically programmed to adapt to our personality and behavioral patterns, might be the solution at that particular point in time because it saves the troubles people normally have to go through in a typical relationship or marriage. The common thread between what this article presents and the idea I put forth here is that this being is the advanced version of the robot. Even though I don't really think it will work out in the future, it's still great being able to envision all the possibilities.
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

文章 Christine »

This is a very interesting topic for discussion. It seems possible that Robot could be created and designed according to human desire in the future. How nice it is if we could create a creature or a companion or even a partner like that ?!The world is still dominated by human now. However, who can be sure this won’t be altered ? In the TV series-Westworld, Robots were not created for marriage purpose but for alternative reason. This also a interesting TV series which discuss Robot related topic.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Wow, these comments and discussions are super impressive. I've learnt a lot of ideas and good expressions from what you posted. :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allow me to chime in on the topic as to why people want to marry a robot. Or, to be more specific, why men still subscribe to the concept that the practice of marriage completes or strengthens their bond with a robot.

For those wanting to marry a virtual lover, it goes without saying that they don’t expect to get offspring out of this marriage. The biological need to reproduce our own genes isn’t at play here.

By law, marriage is nothing more than a contract. Once signed, it alters, imposes new responsibilities, and grants new rights to both individuals involved. Though gay marriage has been legalized in Taiwan and some places in the world, so far regulations around the globe haven’t gone this far to recognize a human-robot partnership. It would be fair to say that people want to tie the knot with an artificial intelligent not for any legal reasons.

It might sound blunt, but marriage has become an outdated concept in a human-machine relationship. It's something to do away with. Men like the Japanese Kondo just haven’t seen it through and still pursue it under the influence of social or cultural legacy.

Just my two cents. :ssmile:
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(14): Apple, Carmelo, Carrie, Holly, Jerry (newcomer), Ken, Kooper, Julian, Michelle, Steve Cheng, Sunny Sr., Tim, Tom (host), Vincent
回覆文章