7/27(Sat)1.Office Politics 2. Alain de Botton's speech(C.H)

回覆文章
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

7/27(Sat)1.Office Politics 2. Alain de Botton's speech(C.H)

文章 Christine »

Dear all,

This is Christine.

There will be two different topics prepared for the discussion of this Saturday. Please ensure to check about the materials provided before joining
the gathering. In Particular, it might take some time to check about the video of Session Two - Alain de Botton, but you won't regret it !

It comes a reason that I'd like to talk about Office Politics. It would be great if you are able to share your experiences with me / us.

Session One : Office Politics
Reading materials : https://www.isaiahhankel.com/office-politics

1. What is your experience with Office Politics? Please share it with your group members.
2. Do you have any skills to deal with those who are good at Office Politics?
3. According to the article, it mentioned that The only way to avoid playing games at work is to understand the games other people are playing.
Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
4. Are the 3 ways to proactively fight back when you are facing a tough political attack useful for you? Apart from them, do you have alternative solutions?
A. OFFENSE: Sandbagging OR Gloating. DEFENSE: Praise. B. OFFENSE: Villainizing, Torpedoing, OR Gossiping. DEFENSE: Collection.
C. OFFENSE: Playing The Victim. DEFENSE: Create A Void.

Session Two : A kinder, gentler philosophy of success - by Alain de Botton
I really like Alain de Botton. Please check the following link with youtube video and transcript.
https://singjupost.com/alain-de-botton-on-a-kinder-gentler-philosophy-of-success-full-transcript/

Alternative version with Chinese subtitle.
https://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_botton_a_kinder_gentler_philosophy_of_success?language=zh-tw#t-4927

1. Do you have career anxiety? What are the reasons to cause career anxiety? Do you agree one of the reasons what Alan de Botton mentioned,
that is we are surrounded by snobs? Why or why not?

2. As per the speaker, he thinks Envy has got a spirit of equality combined with deep inequality, which makes for a very stressful situation.
Do you agree with it? Do you agree that Envy is the element that creates our anxiety?

3. How do you define Success? Please give us your definition for it.
4. Can you make sure the Successful life you wanted is truly your own?
5. Do you like the speech? If yes, tell us which part you like the most?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 7/27(Sat)1.Office Politics 2. Alain de Botton's speech(C

文章 Iris Wu »

It is said that whenever three or more people gather there will be politics. We all complain office politics once a while, but I doubt we are not one of the contributors to it. Yet I don’t mean that we should adopt the old adage, “The best defense is a good offense”, for this kind of games, because “We reap what we sow.”. What you do comes back to you, good or bad.

Understanding the games is important, as said in the article. To me, the best defense for office politics is “a good defense”. I’ll let people know there is no gain to play the games against me, and that doesn’t have to be harmful/hurtful. As the author points out, “collection” or “create a void” are good ways, especially “creating a void”, which can be applied to many cases by different “techniques”.
頭像
Christine
YOYO member

文章 Christine »

Iris Wu 寫:It is said that whenever three or more people gather there will be politics. We all complain office politics once a while, but I doubt we are not one of the contributors to it. Yet I don’t mean that we should adopt the old adage, “The best defense is a good offense”, for this kind of games, because “We reap what we sow.”. What you do comes back to you, good or bad.

Understanding the games is important, as said in the article. To me, the best defense for office politics is “a good defense”. I’ll let people know there is no gain to play the games against me, and that doesn’t have to be harmful/hurtful. As the author points out, “collection” or “create a void” are good ways, especially “creating a void”, which can be applied to many cases by different “techniques”.
Hi Iris,

This reminds me the story of "Three monks have no water to drink." In English, it means everybody's business is nobody's business. Sometimes, when there are more than 3 people gathering together, politics might be inevitable. I agree that "The best defense is a good offense." That's the act I usually take. I believe we both are mild and don't like office politics. :) In fact, I came to realize that to survive office politics really takes not only skills but wisdom recently. Of course, it's crucial to see through the game first.

One more thing which occurred me is that office politics reminds me the topic which Andy Liu raised few weeks ago - Giver vs Taker. It is quite often seen that some people want a revenge in office politics might have spent a lot time on playing office politics, who (a Matcher) might miss the focus and in the end lose the game or their career or something even more important in life?
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Thanks for the reply, Christine! Some good questions related to Givers, Takers and Matchers, we'll chat more in the meeting.

The speech for the second session is great, but it did take me two rounds to receive the messages that the speaker was trying to convey.
He went around some examples to make the speech humorous, so I had to take some notes to ground myself to his points.

Maybe the message is very simple, as he pointed out in the speech title, but I do appreciate he pinpointed some causes:
- snobbery, envy,
- impossible meritocracy,
- media judgement: more forgiving judgment (e.g. unfortunate) in old days vs. more stressful modern judgement (Loser)

The conclusion is clear. He wants us to probe our own version of success by defusing those causes mentioned above. I got the message, but just not sure if the “right thoughts” can prevail over the “wrong thoughts” that we are surrounded. :(
頭像
Christine
YOYO member

文章 Christine »

Hi Iris,

Many thanks for your feedback! I have to admit that I had some concerns to take this speech as a topic for discussion in the beginning due to its length and the content of the speech. In fact, you are already excellent to just listening it twice to get the points. I listened to it more than 5 times.... :D , but indeed I enjoyed it ! I think you've pointed out all the important topics. For the impossible meritocracy and media judgement / Unfortunate vs Loser those are not included to the questions list, I feel it would be great to be discussed in Session 2.

Do apologies if it takes you guys too much time for preparing the topic for gathering this time. Alain de Botton is a philosopher and observer who reminds us some phenomenon around our society that we sometimes are not aware in a humorous way. That's also one of the reasons I'd like to share with you. :)
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Hi Christine,

Thanks for preparing the topics and material for us.
Both topics are super interesting. I expect myself to learn much after fully digesting the material. Unfortunately it seems that I had started the process a bit too late to make the most of it

Each of them deserves a single meeting. A wild proposal is that why not making them two meetings? :wink:

I personally do want to read the article and watch the video a couple of times to grip the main ideas better, learn new phrases and words (the first article has a lot words to learn...), and come out with my mused answers. :ssmile:
頭像
Christine
YOYO member

文章 Christine »

Kooper 寫:Hi Christine,

Thanks for preparing the topics and material for us.
Both topics are super interesting. I expect myself to learn much after fully digesting the material. Unfortunately it seems that I had started the process a bit too late to make the most of it

Each of them deserves a single meeting. A wild proposal is that why not making them two meetings? :wink:

I personally do want to read the article and watch the video a couple of times to grip the main ideas, learn new phrases and words (the first article has a lot words to learn...), and come out with my mused answers. :ssmile:
Hi Kooper,

Thanks for your feedback.

You know that there are many members like to be in the same group with you because you always prepare for the topics and come out with your mused answers in advance. :ssmile:

We could always discuss the same topics in different meetings. I've done it recently. :wink:
頭像
Christine
YOYO member

文章 Christine »

Participants (16) : Christine, Iris, Morris, Winston, Steve, Gloria, Kooper, Jerry, Rosie, Rock, Vincent, Tim, Holly, Leon, Carmelo, Light
回覆文章