8/3 (SAT)Romance Scam&Online safety (Host: Catherine)

回覆文章
Catherine
YOYO member
文章: 31
註冊時間: 週日 2月 22, 2015 10:09 pm

8/3 (SAT)Romance Scam&Online safety (Host: Catherine)

文章 Catherine »

8/3 (SAT)Romance Scam&Online safety
A few months ago, I got a friend request on Facebook. This American man looked normal. In his profile, he said that he was a doctor living in Kabul. I was curious, or maybe it was because I’ve seen too many terrorist movies, I thought it might be interesting to talk to a guy working in a war zone, so I hit “accept”. We’ve been chatting with messengers for a while, he seemed to be busy and normal. After a while, he said that it was not safe to chat on Messenger, so he asked me to install an App called “Hangouts” to continue chatting. He told me that he was an orphan since then and he had a miserable childhood. He chose to work for the United Nation as a surgeon because he had no love ones back in States.
At that time, there was something going on in my family,I was quite upset so I thought it was nice to have someone to talk to, plus he was a doctor, so he couldn’t be a bad guy. As we talked, suddenly he said that he had a feeling for me. I said how could it be possible? We never met. He said, “ Love is a feeling..” I thought it wouldn’t hurt to play this “ love game” online, so he kept sending me love messages and warm care every day. I have to admit that it feels good. Those messages made me feel younger and better.
One day, he told me that he would have an important meeting with the UN, so he couldn’t talk to me for three days. I already got used to talk to him, so at that time I really “missed” him. There was not much information on his Facebook profile, so I started googling him. A friend warned me earlier that it could be fake, I didn’t believe in her, so I check on an anti-scam website, how come his behavior matched with a lot of features written on the website: They told me to do image reverse check, OMG! I found many accounts using this cute doctor’s pictures. So after three days, he came back, I confronted him: “ Why are there so many accounts with different names and nationalities? “ He said: “ I have no idea why do people steal my photos” “It must be Taliban” I questioned “ Why do Taliban put your photos on dating websites” He kept playing the innocent card. He told me when his mission is over, he would come to meet me in Taiwan. Before that, he would send me a package with his valuable stuff, and he requested for more about my personal information. I said, I want to help you, but I can’t trust you, why don’t we do the video chat? He agreed( Before he refused it due to a lot of excuses)
He really had nerves to do video chat! In the video, there was a white doctor talking, but the accent didn’t sound like an American. The quality of the communication was bad, the sound didn’t synchronize with the mouth shape. The video chat made me very confused. After that he accused me of not trusting him enough, so we stopped talking. After a while, he appeared again, claimed that his FB account had been hacked by the Taliban(Actually it was me who reported him, so it’s been removed). So he asked me to create as many Facebook accounts as possible for him and his colleagues, when I refused, he started to throw bad words and cursed me.
What a pity! I should have blocked him earlier so my memory will stay in the sweet spot!
Read about how serious a scam can cause:https://www.mamamia.com.au/online-datin ... 6papSZke-w

How Romance scam works:https://www.romancescams.org/
Romance scam scripts:https://www.bbb.org/stlouis/get-consume ... m-scripts/
https://www.facebook.com/22817217485370 ... 81/?type=3
https://www.facebook.com/22817217485370 ... 52/?type=3
https://www.facebook.com/22817217485370 ... 93/?type=3
https://www.facebook.com/22817217485370 ... 00/?type=3
Questions:
Session 1
1. How often do you surf on the Internet? What kind of social media do you use?
2. Have you ever accept a request from strangers? What makes you do the decision? What happened? Have you heard of the good result of online dating?
3. Have you been scammed or almost scammed before? What made you believe in their words? What saved you from being fooled?
4. According to the articles, what are the common excuses scammers use to get money from the victims?
5. Have your friend or family been scammed before? What happened?

Session 2
6. Do you know how to protect yourself and your friends while using social media?
7. What are the features of fake accounts?
8. What do you think of scam victims? Do you think they are stupid? What psychology factors scammers use to manipulate the victims?
9. Scammers usually steal photos of celebrities, doctors, soldiers and fake their identity, why?
10. Try to google yourself, what do you see?
11. What are other factors people should pay attention to while surfing on the Internet?

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 8/3 (SAT)Romance Scam&Online safety (Host: Catherine)

文章 Kooper »

I am not a regular social media user because more often than not I find myself compacting information overload. Social media happens to be super rich in messages and information and is something that I am trying desperately to keep it at bay.

Another reason that prevents me from more active engagement is that the demands of job have physically and emotionally drained me. The least thing I am looking for at the moment is being bombarded with instant messages from a stranger, no matter how personable they might be. Guess that makes me least vulnerable to online romance scams. I am however not as confident about my future self after retirement, when time is no longer a luxury and when my mind is no longer sharp and well-guarded.
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

Re: 8/3 (SAT)Romance Scam&Online safety (Host: Catherine)

文章 Christine »

Thanks Catherine and participants for sharing their personal experience! I feel it's great that we've learnt something useful while practiced English.

Participants (25): Catherine, John, Jenny, Jerry, Christine, Way, Ellen, Shirley, Antonio, Steve, Paul (newcomer), Apple, Lewis, Kooper, Christina, Tom, Ken,
Winston,Tim, Holly, Ramesh, Annie, Julian, Jason(newcomer), Vincent

BTW, we are happy to announce that Lewis has just become a new member of Yoyo officially. :D
回覆文章