8/13(Tue.)Selective empathy & Responsibility(Host:David Jr.)

回覆文章
頭像
David Jr.
Vice President
文章: 257
註冊時間: 週二 8月 19, 2003 12:07 am
來自: Lonely Planet
聯繫:

8/13(Tue.)Selective empathy & Responsibility(Host:David Jr.)

文章 David Jr. »

Hello everyone,

This is David Jr. and I will be your host on this coming Tuesday. We are going to talk about two topics.
See you soon.

Topic for session 1: Selective Empathy
Video:

Article for those who like to read more
Why We Are Able to Empathize With Some, Never All
https://theswaddle.com/selective-empath ... never-all/

Topic for session 2: Responsibility

Discussion Questions for Session 1
1. How empathetic do you think you are?
2. After watching the video in session 1, what do you feel?
2a. Is selective empathy is an issue?
2b. How should we address this issue?
3. Citing from the following link:
https://rebeccaheiss.com/blog/selective ... ning-child
3a. On your way to work you see a child drowning in a shallow puddle. Do you wade into the water to rescue the child knowing that you will ruin your expensive clothes and shoes and then have to return home to change, rendering you late for work? Or do you ignore the child and continue on your way?
3b. We extend the scenario. Let's assume everyday there is a child drowning (no matter if it's the same child), how many days in a row would you rescue that child before you would become a sociopath—how many sacrifices of clothing and shoes before you’d tune out and walk by?

Discussion Questions for Session 2
4. What do you feel after watching the video in session 2? What do you think about the new definition of "Response-Ability"?
5. What's the difference between the new definition of "Response-Ability" and the line "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-Man? Which one brings you more energy to act, and why?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:30 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Remember all what your mom has told you, and do the opposite.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 8/13(Tue.)Selective empathy & Responsibility(Host:David

文章 Luis Ko »

very good topic, if not great! 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

文章 Christine »

Interesting topic!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Honestly, I did not feel much after watching the first video. Why ban plastic straws? Simply put, it needs to start somewhere, something with least impact, for practical reason. If the policy makers’ priority was wrong, for example, if plastic spoons/folks are not needed by customers, then, sure, they should change the policy. But to conclude this as people favor one plastic product over the others seems meaningless to me. Can you ban everything all at once? Does the vlogger have a one-shot solution?

For selective empathy, “You are not God, don’t pretend to be”. Our love can only go so far. It’s not fair, but nobody says the world is fair.
頭像
David Jr.
Vice President
文章: 257
註冊時間: 週二 8月 19, 2003 12:07 am
來自: Lonely Planet
聯繫:

文章 David Jr. »

Host: David Jr.
Attendees: Wenhan, Arthur, Holly, Andy, Amy, Chris, Lewis, Luis, Jason, James, Steve, Shirley, Christine, Sunny, Julian, Devry, Tim, Miller.
Thank you for your participation.
See you next time soon.
Remember all what your mom has told you, and do the opposite.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:...Simply put, it needs to start somewhere, something with least impact, for practical reason. ... Can you ban everything all at once? ...
As of the answer to the question, "Can you ban everything all at once?", is yes and no. To me, I don't mind banning the plastic bags, forks, straws, and all other small stuff, all at once. Because we have alternatives-- paper bags, wood forks, etc. They are probably more expensive and less durable, but they work ok.

The real problem when you want to ban plastic stuff is not from the consumers, but from the plastics industry, I guess. Same as banning cigarettes and guns.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章