11/30(Sat.) When to settle down?/ How to flirt? (Holly Wang)

回覆文章
hollywang1991
YOYO member
文章: 20
註冊時間: 週六 12月 01, 2018 9:37 pm

11/30(Sat.) When to settle down?/ How to flirt? (Holly Wang)

文章 hollywang1991 »

Hi everyone! I was browsing the TED Talks and found the video called "The mathematics of love". Well, it couldn't hurt to know more about love 8) .

Session(I)
Please watch this video for more insightful discussions
Hannah Fry|TEDxBinghamtonUniversity|The mathematics of love
https://www.ted.com/talks/hannah_fry_th ... t#t-360106
Ms. Fry believes that mathematics is so powerful that it has the potential to offer us a new way of looking at almost anything. Therefore she takes mathematics to the new level-She has been trying to use mathematics to reveal the mysterious veil of love. She then gives us her top three mathematically verifiable tips for love.. They are:
:arrow: How to win at online dating.
:arrow: How to pick the perfect partner
:arrow: How to avoid divorce

1. In the video, Ms. Fry mentioned: how attractive you are dose not mean how popular you are. Do you have any examples to support or against this statement?
2. For how to pick the perfect partner, she introduces us to a strategy called "Optimal Stopping Strategy". Have you ever heard this before? Do you have any related experiences?
3. Are you willing to wait for the best and to take the risk to never meet an ideal life partner or you would settle down when think it's time?

Session(II)
Jean Smith|TEDxLSHTM|The Science of Flirting: Being a H.O.T.A.P.E.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQoGNEcc5Q

For the next session, we will hopefully know more about filtering!
1. Take a guess of what H.O.T. A.P.E. stands for before you watching this talk, it's common than you expected 8). Which one is the most difficult one for you? What about the easiest one.
2. Ms. Smith mentions that touching is also a to-do item of flirting. What do you think of touching others in a flirty but not offended way? If someone is clearly flirting on you and make some physical contact, are you OK with it?
3. Have you ever flirt or been flirted (not necessarily to be H.O.T. A.P.E. but in your way) and then developed into a serious relationship or a fling or just stay in the friend zone?
4. People flirt would vary greatly across the world. Generally speaking, how do Taiwanese view flirting? how do we tend to react?
Read More: https://www.thelist.com/164687/how-peop ... paign=clip

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 11/30(Sat.) When to settle down?/ How to flirt? (Holly W

文章 Luis Ko »

well, it couldn't hurt to know more about love, but still, you might regret what you have done or, not done, to the one when you know more about it. that might not really hurt, but sad sometimes.. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Let me take some wild guesses before I watch the video:

(I swear to God I have not watched it!)

H: hot? hit? hold? happy? high? hilarious?
O: offend? offer? observe?
T: tease? touch? timing? target?
A: approach? allure? admire?
P: please? pleasant? patient? people? pleasure?
E: ease? expect? evaluate? efficient? ending?
最後由 Michael-liu 於 週六 11月 30, 2019 10:47 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

With its simplicity and promise of best outcomes, the optimal stopping theory looks very appealing to apply. The devil however is in the details. As an engineer, allow me to challenge the seemingly fail-safe mate choice strategy.

First of all we don’t have the luxury of knowing ahead of time total number of dates we will have in life if staying single. A quick and simple alternative, which the speaker Hannah Fry also adopted, is to set the 37% magic point based on time rather than quantity. The underlying assumption is that there is equal dating opportunities at any given age during this predefined mating period. That unfortunately isn’t true from our own experiences - we don't need to pick any experts' brains to learn that.

Bear in mind that the goal of the theory is to maximize the chances of best pick. That means the results could be either ecstatically satisfying or miserably disappointing, while statistically the approach reaches the highest success rate. A person in a video clip did an experiment following the optimal stopping theory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OxT35E2Yss). Out of three runs he made two quasi-optimal mate choices but ended up dying alone in the remaining run. We unfortunately only have one shot in a life. The stakes are high, no doubt. It is worthy also considering whether we can live with the worst outcome when deciding mating strategy.

If you aren’t the type of person gambling big but instead looking for less variable outcomes from run to run, chances are high that you need to find another mathematician, not Hannah Fry.
回覆文章