12/28(Sat.) Key to Well-Being: Stoic Mindfulness(Sunny)

回覆文章
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

12/28(Sat.) Key to Well-Being: Stoic Mindfulness(Sunny)

文章 sunny »

About why I choose this topic—

2020 is around the corner!
Are you a “stoic”? Some people practice it as a key to well-being. Stoic mindfulness is now a mainstream and has been successfully used inside companies within Silicon Valley such as Google. It’s about living your life as if it really mattered, moment by moment by moment by moment.

圖檔

The most important thing is "Notice" —really notice—what you’re sensing in a given moment, the sights, sounds, and smells that ordinarily slip by without reaching your conscious awareness. You can check reference articles/videos below :lol:

10 Things The Stoics Can Teach You About Being A Happier Person
http://bestoicbehappy.com/stoicism/a-st ... hat-count/

Why you should define your fears instead of your goals
https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_ferriss_w ... transcript

Thought experiment «BRAIN IN A VAT»
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0sSJB1TrI

Session1:

True Happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears.
Are you a result-oriented person? How to meet your expectations for yourself? Do you have any expectation of your job/family/relationship in 2020? Will you feel bothered when you cannot achieve the goal?

We suffer more often in imagination than in reality.
Have you ever talked to yourself, “I was a failure, not good enough, everyone judged me when I was in a crowd, I wasn’t doing enough to get ahead, I would never become free. “ Please share your experience.

Anger is a choice.
Do you agree this view? Recently, is there any single positive or negative emotion affect you too much ? Do you think Anger is a choice? Do you have any strategies for controlling your anger, keeping anger in check?

4. Practice with your team members:Imagine you’re smiling. Do it now. Close your eyes. Softly pull your muscles and produce a smile. How do you feel now?

Session 2:

Here is this difference between ourselves and the other school: Our ideal wise man feels his troubles, but overcome them; their wise man doesn’t not even feel them.
When you feel strongly about something, will you talk, be vulnerable, say what you're thinking and feeling? Most of time, you are a pessimistic or optimistic?

What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.
Do you agree that a person’s success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have? Why? Resolve to do one thing every day that you fear.

7. Are you better off than you were one year ago, one month ago, or one week ago? What are you putting off out of fear? What are you waiting for?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 16:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 18:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先看過影片或閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 sunny 於 週六 12月 28, 2019 10:49 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 12/28(Sat.) Key to Well-Being: Stoic Mindfulness(Sunny)

文章 Kooper »

Wow, YOYO has been getting more spiritual and self-reflective. :mrgreen:
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

it seems it's the first time i hear about it, stoicism. i've always said one of the advantages of joining yoyo is we can get to know about a lot of things that we might not have the chance to get in our daily life, and this one could be one of them. as to stoic that mentioned in this topic, i find it quite hard to understand so, i also googled these two,
What Is Stoicism? A Short Introduction to the Ancient Philosophy That Can Help You Cope with Our Modern Times
http://www.openculture.com/2018/07/what ... icism.html
What Is Stoicism? A Definition & 9 Stoic Exercises To Get You Started
https://dailystoic.com/what-is-stoicism ... u-started/

though i don't agree with them all since i'm a sceptic, and i still don't quite understand stoicism either, there indeed are points that make some sense to me. then again, i admit i don't walk my talk normally. it's always easier said than done, especially when it comes to such life philosophy or advices, but it's better than not knowing them, isn't it? at least, i can have something to talk the talk, especially in yoyo meetings. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Stoicism was a term I learned from a history class long ago, and that’s pretty much it. Until I came across this video recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9OCA6UFE-0
I was thinking it could be a good topic for YoYo, but now Sunny got it first, so I guess I’ll need to remove it from my list.

It seems people can take Stoicism from many aspects. What I learned is probably the very shallow part of it only. For me, it is similar to Buddhism in that the world and how things are is perceived and interpreted through our brain and mind. That’s the first and the very fundamental thing to realize how “I” (self, our mind, our perception) plays an important role in determining what we feel about sufferings, happiness, success or failure.

Secondly, I think the Stoicism emphasizes the separation of “what you can control” and “what you cannot control”. Do what you can do for what you can control and leave it alone for the others. It sounds simple, but true, as Luis said, it is all easier said than done. For example, recently our friends were all afraid that we will be living for too long, does it belong to a manageable or unmanageable issue? If we should do something about it, what should we do? To live more healthily? That would make you live even longer. To live unhealthily? That doesn’t sound like a right answer!

Finally, I do like the TED Talk on defining our fears and thinking about the prevention and the repair ahead of time. We will never exhaust all the possibilities for finding ourselves (self-awareness). The more we look inward, the more tolerant towards external world we will be, supposedly.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

The Ted talk is one of my favorites. Though the speaker claimed that his approach was stoic, due to my ignorance of stoicism and to make it look less philosophical and intimidating, I would rather view it as a pragmatic tool to break out of our comfort zone in a systematic way.This pre-meditation-of-evil method is particularly helpful in the case where people are self-paralyzed mainly by fears but also helps in other causes like procrastination, lack of motivation.

It adopts a three-pronged strategy to overcome inactiveness: manage fears, strengthen motivation, and exploit panic monkey in the brain.

First step is to define and manage our fears, decrypting them into very specific unpleasant outcomes that drive us away, developing preventive measures to reduce the likelihood, and mapping out salvage operations to mitigate the damages. This is where the practice of separating what can be controlled personally from what cannot be controlled takes place. Next is to envision benefits of making the changes. It motivates us more to act. Last is a surprising use of fear but this time it’s the anxiety for unsatisfactory outcomes if we keep business as usual. As you can see here fear isn't always evil. The strategy makes both its unfavorable and favorable features work for us. That makes it comprehensive and promising.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Luis Ko 寫: though i don't agree with them all since i'm a sceptic, and i still don't quite understand stoicism either, there indeed are points that make some sense to me. then again, i admit i don't walk my talk normally. it's always easier said than done, especially when it comes to such life philosophy or advices, but it's better than not knowing them, isn't it? at least, i can have something to talk the talk, especially in yoyo meetings. :lol:
Nice expressions about "talk the talk" and "walk the talk." :drink:
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

文章 sunny »

participants:

Gregory, Iris, Sunny, Winston, Gloria, Michelle, Steve, Luis, Kooper, Jeff, Carmelo, Morris, Tashi, Christine, Jason, Sabrina, Catherine, Leon, Jerry, Kat

Newcomer:
Eric Yeh
回覆文章