1/21 (Tue.) Opioid Crisis (Host: Miller)

回覆文章
miller
YOYO member
文章: 99
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

1/21 (Tue.) Opioid Crisis (Host: Miller)

文章 miller »

This is Miller, your host for the meeting on 1/21.
It's my honor to host again.
The Lunar New Year is coming, I am sorry to discuss this unhappy topic before the important festival.
But this event is very important for everyone, even though it doesn't matter to Taiwanese any more.
Maybe some Taiwanese will become the next victims in couple years later.
What is Opioid Crisis? It caused more than 130 people died every day in United States.
The amount is more than the total of traffic accidents and shootings in USA.
The following data can reveal the severity clearly.
圖檔
The people with illness just want to reduce the painful feeling by using opioid, why they get to die finally.
This problem is very complicated.
We should worry about that it may spread to other countries, especially Taiwan.
Taiwan's health system is very convenient, the people can get medication service easier than other countries.
Let's discuss how to avoid the same crisis happened in US.

How The Opioid Epidemic Started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL30wvX0DUo

What is the U.S. Opioid epidemic?
https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-e ... index.html

Tracing the US opioid crisis to its roots.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02686-2

Session 1:
1.Did you ever hear from your friends or relatives that someone used the painkillers to keep away from the suffering of disease? If yes, they choose the painkiller in what situation.
2.Do you know the side effects of painkillers made from opioid before this meeting? Do you ever doubt someone may died of painkillers who was considered died of cancer?
3.When you get a severe pain, for example toothache, headache and stomach ache, besides the painkillers, do you have any other way to avoid or relieve the painful feeling?
4.In Taiwan's hospital, the doctors prescribe the same painkillers for patients as well. Would it make another crisis in Taiwan?

Session 2:
5.In the opioid crisis of US, there are three kinds of roles in this game, one is the patient, another is the doctor and the other is the pharmaceutical. Who is the culprit in your opinion?
6.Corresponding to the above, why only the pharmaceutical companies should be punished with a huge amount money. Is it fair?
7.Couple decades ago, the tobacco manufacturers also got the punishment of US government. In your opinion, what industry or company will become the next punished one?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & free talk / ordering drinks / getting newcomer’s information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening remarks / newcomer’s self-introduction / grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:20pm Activities (60 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / instruction / break
(Session II)
8:30~ 9:20pm Activities (50 mins)
9:20~ 9:30pm Concluding remarks / announcements (10 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請先閱讀過文章以方便小組討論

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 1/21 (Tue.) Opioid Crisis (Host: Miller)

文章 Luis Ko »

who is to blame? not just for this specific opioid crisis, but for every man made crisis? the greatest enemy of human beings, self-interested human nature, is to blame i would say. right, i'm a sceptic and, a cynic as well! 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章