3/3(Tue) Good Taste begins with knowledge (Host: Annie)

回覆文章
Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

3/3(Tue) Good Taste begins with knowledge (Host: Annie)

文章 Annie Zhang »

Good Taste Begins with Knowledge is a book title from a Japanese author- Manabu Mizuno (水野學). Mizuno states that “if taste is a piece of art, then knowledge is the canvas”.

圖檔

Source 1: Bad Taste:

Source 2:Why we should stand up for good taste
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201406 ... good-taste

Source 3: Quiz: What your habits reveal about social class?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-13/ ... ss/9610658

Source 4: What musical taste tells us about social class
https://news.ubc.ca/2015/06/03/what-mus ... ial-class/

Questions for Discussion

Session I

Q1: What does it mean to have taste? Drinking Starbucks coffee means somebody are having better taste, comparing the ones who are having 7-11 coffee? Or using iPhone instead of other brands? Going to see an opera instead of a rap/hip hop concert? Collecting real artworks instead of IKEA paintings? Wearing Prada instead of NET? What does it mean when someone says you have good taste?

Q2: What is taste and what does it mean for it to be “good”?

Q3: How do you tell the home decoration is good design or bad design? How do you gauge someone with good fashion taste? How do you gauge an art installation as good or bad?

Q4: Is taste something you’re born with or something you have to learn?

Q5: Some people think taste can be learned, they think that education goes along with taste: if you have more education, then your taste is better, and if you’re less educated, then your taste is worse. Do you agree?

Session II

Q1: Do you think “taste” means “expensive”?

Q2: Do you think “taste” matters?

Q3: Sometimes taste is also connected with social class. "Breadth of taste is not linked to class. But class filters into specific likes and dislikes," said Gerry Veenstra, study author and professor at UBC's Department of Sociology.

For example, the least-educated people in the study were over eight times more likely to dislike classical music compared to the best-educated respondents.

Q4: An Australian research “What your habits reveal about social class”, Professor Bennett indicates that “By and large, people with postgraduate degrees have the most distinctively high cultural tastes.” Do you think class and education have bigger influence on taste?

Q5: Some people argue that people from the upper and middle classes were more likely to grow up in homes where they were exposed to “highbrow” cultural activities and tastes. People from upper and middle-class backgrounds, who are rich in cultural capital, are more likely to have better taste. Do you agree?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & free talk / ordering drinks / getting newcomer’s information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening remarks / newcomer’s self-introduction / grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:20pm Activities (60 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / instruction / break
(Session II)
8:30~ 9:20pm Activities (50 mins)
9:20~ 9:30pm Concluding remarks / announcements (10 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請先閱讀過文章以方便小組討論

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 3/3(Tue) Good Taste begins with knowledge (Host: Annie)

文章 Luis Ko »

to be honest, i don't quite understand what the article Why we should stand up for good taste, but i don't agree that we should have a standard of good taste, unless standard here means something else. right, according to the quiz, my habits and tastes are working class. i might have to take them at their words since they have categorized tastes into certain classes already. then again, that's what i don't agree. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章