5/02(Sat.)The gift & power of emotional courage (Julian.)

回覆文章
頭像
Julian
文章: 733
註冊時間: 週三 1月 07, 2004 12:06 am
來自: Taipei

5/02(Sat.)The gift & power of emotional courage (Julian.)

文章 Julian »

= Due to the unclear situation of COVID-19 and short notice, we will reopen the discussion on the last unfinished topic this coming weekend.

Dear Yoyoers,

It might not appeal so excitingly, but I found this TED talk quite profound and touching with the points the speaker had present. It's about how you see and deal with personal emotions in everyday lives from a fundamental perspective. Hope you will feel it the same way and enjoy it!

Suggested Questions for Session I :

1. Are you an emotional person? Do you think you have good control over emotions?
2. Why do we have feelings? Is it just a natural response to everything? What is the value of emotions?
3. Do you believe how we deal with our inner world drives everything? According to the speaker, every aspect of our lives is a projection of our inner self. Is there any personal example which can reflect or present an opposite result from it?
4. In most cases, we will try to encourage people to think positively. Is there any chance that it could be incorrect? Do you think being forced to thinking positive is wrong? (False positiveness)

Suggested Questions for Session II :

5. What is the difference between peoples in western and eastern society in dealing with emotional issues in your opinion/observation?
6. Some individuals don't feel like to encounter difficulties, potential disappointment, and challenges. The speaker describes it as "Having a dead man's goal." Is there anything wrong with having a dead man's goal?
7. According to the author, the ability to accurately describe/ differentiate the emotion is crucial. The more you can understand how you feel at the moment, the better control you can have toward your emotions. Have you ever try to clarify your feelings and go on to deal with the emotional issues?
8. When people get to embrace their genuine emotions, participation, creativity and new ideas thrive with it. How do you agree with it? Any examples to support or dis-support with it?
9. "Courage is not an absence of fears; courage is fear walking." What is your opinion?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Julian 於 週三 4月 29, 2020 11:54 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
頭像
Julian

Re: 3/21(Sat.)The gift and power of emotional courage (Julia

文章 Julian »

*Below are some key messages excerpted from the speech that I'd like to share with you: (Any distinctive thoughts that's totally fine and respected.)

-When we push aside normal emotions to embrace false positivity, we lose our capacity to develop skills to deal with the world as it is, not as we wish it to be.
-You don't want to have negative feelings..it's understandable, but.. you have dead people's goal. Only dead people never get unwanted or inconvenienced by their feelings. Only dead people never get stressed, never get broken hearts, never experience the disappointment that comes with failure.
-Discomfort is the price of admission to a meaningful life.
-So how do we begin to dismantle rigidity and embrace emotional agility? -Open to the heart that feels pain, grief, loss and regret.
-Research now shows that the radical acceptance of all of our emotions, even the messy, difficult one is the cornerstone to resilience, thriving and true authentic happiness.
-But emotional agility is more than just an acceptance of emotions, and we also know that the accuracy matters.
-The difference of "I'm stressed", and "stress and that knowing dread of "I'm in the wrong career.""
-When we label our emotions more accurately, we are more able to discern the precise cause of our feelings.
-The brain will then not only take steps, but the right steps.
-Our emotions contain flashing lights to things that we care about.
-But when our moment comes, to face our fragility, in that ultimate time, it will ask us "Are you agile?","Are you agile?". Let the moment be an unreserved "yes". A "yes" born of a lifelong correspondence with your own heart, and in seeing yourself. Because in seeing yourself, you will able to see others, too. The only sustainable way forward, in a fragile, beautiful world. Sawubona.
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
頭像
Julian

Re: 5/02(Sat.)The gift & power of emotional courage (Julian.)

文章 Julian »

Please feel free to come or stay home.. :lol:
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Hey Julian, you started our May meetings with a challenging one... it serves like a Monday morning meeting with boss to keep us on our toes. :wink:

It isn’t easy for me to decode the speech because the way the speaker delivered it isn’t straightforward - she made it more like reading the book "Chicken Soup for the Soul" than reporting scientific findings. I can also sense it from comments people left below: most of the time people just quoted one sentence that stroke them most but didn't mentioned the whole picture of her ideas.

Guess I need to replay it a couple of times more before being able to extract the structure of her theory. :?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

FYI. Below is what I could dissect the speaker's theory best.

1. Admit that we have both positive and negative emotions flowing in mind all the time: Accept that tough emotions are part of our contract with life instead of denying their existence. Be open to what we felt

2. Analyze internal emotions objectively: Separate ourselves from emotions. We aren’t the emotion but are just feeling the emotion.

3. Examine and label the emotion accurately: take a good look at what the emotion really is and find out exactly what caused it. For instance, men tend to mix sadness with rage; we may view and express it in the form of anger when we are sad

4. When we felt strong, tough emotion, it generally has something to do with our core values. Analyze what part of our core value system triggered this emotion and take correct steps to shape our life in that direction. That is, actions that will bring us toward our values instead of taking us away from them
頭像
Julian

文章 Julian »

Kooper 寫:
週六 5月 02, 2020 10:34 am
Hey Julian, you started our May meetings with a challenging one... it serves like a Monday morning meeting with boss to keep us on our toes. :wink:

It isn’t easy for me to decode the speech because the way the speaker delivered it isn’t straightforward - she made it more like reading the book "Chicken Soup for the Soul" than reporting scientific findings. I can also sense it from comments people left below: most of the time people just quoted one sentence that stroke them most but didn't mentioned the whole picture of her ideas.

Guess I need to replay it a couple of times more before being able to extract the structure of her theory. :?
Good to have your voice, Kooper. Hahah.. you know I am not trying to make it hard to ppl who is coming for the gathering. Instead, I'm hoping to conduct the meeting in a relaxed manner where we all get to share our thoughts in a comfortable vibe. When I'm watching the video through YOYO web by mobile phone, the subtitle will automatically be switched to Chinese, which also gives an option of easy access to the points that the speaker is trying to convey, but I don't think you'll need this. :)
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
頭像
Julian

文章 Julian »

Kooper 寫:
週六 5月 02, 2020 12:00 pm
FYI. Below is what I could dissect the speaker's theory best.

1. Admit that we have both positive and negative emotions flowing in mind all the time: Accept that tough emotions are part of our contract with life instead of denying their existence. Be open to what we felt

2. Analyze internal emotions objectively: Separate ourselves from emotions. We aren’t the emotion but are just feeling the emotion.

3. Examine and label the emotion accurately: take a good look at what the emotion really is and find out exactly what caused it. For instance, men tend to mix sadness with rage; we may view and express it in the form of anger when we are sad

4. When we felt strong, tough emotion, it generally has something to do with our core values. Analyze what part of our core value system triggered this emotion and take correct steps to shape our life in that direction. That is, actions that will bring us toward our values instead of taking us away from them
Impressive job, Kooper. You are always a very organized man to me! :) There are several points that the speaker is trying to share, and the take-home message to me is to accept the negative emotions and take on them rather than to hide it or to justify everything in front of people. When one can truly embrace the good and the bad from lives, the courage and power will be on his/her side.
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(15): Julian, Ron (newcomer), Leon, Iris, Kooper, Steve, Ramesh, Jerry, Morris, Tashi, Gloria, Jeff, Michael, Rosie, David Jr.
頭像
Julian

文章 Julian »

Kooper 寫:
週五 5月 08, 2020 5:43 pm
Attendees(15): Julian, Ron (newcomer), Leon, Iris, Kooper, Steve, Ramesh, Jerry, Morris, Tashi, Gloria, Jeff, Michael, Rosie, David Jr.
Thanks for the updates, Kooper! :wink:
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
回覆文章