8/29(Sat.) Side Hustle/ Slash? (Host: Morris)

回覆文章
morris25
YOYO member
文章: 65
註冊時間: 週一 5月 07, 2012 8:35 am

8/29(Sat.) Side Hustle/ Slash? (Host: Morris)

文章 morris25 »

Please listen to /watch the following two videos about side hustles,
1. “Do you have a second job?” in British English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHePsQLa3w

2. “5 Tips For A Better Side Hustle” in American English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1IvJClaqNI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Session I: Warm up

Questions:
1. What are the key differences between British and American English? Which one do you prefer, and why?
2. When you talk to foreigners, do you usually try to tailor your accent/expression according to where they are from? Why or why not?
3. What might be the differences of side hustle situation/market among UK, USA, and Taiwan? What might be promising side hustles in the future in Taiwan?
4. Have you had a side hustle? If yes, please share your experience; if no, please share your friend’s experience or your understanding about side hustles?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Session II: How to have a satisfactory career?
Questions:
1. What are the pros and cons of having a side hustle?
2. If we want to have a side hustle, what factors should we consider? How can we have a successful side hustle?
3. What is your regular job? Based on previous discussions, if you want to have a side hustle, which kind of jobs do you prefer?
4. Based on your current conditions and time, which one of the following options do you prefer, and why?
(1) A good regular job to make ends meet.
(2) An ordinary regular job with a side hustle to have a total income varying from 70% to 130% of option (1)’s depending on the side hustle’s market.
(3) Several side hustles to have a total income varying from 0% to 200% of option (1)’s depending on the side hustles’ market.
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 8/29(Sat.) Side Hustle/ Slash? (Host: Morris)

文章 Luis Ko »

2. When you talk to foreigners, do you usually try to tailor your accent/expression according to where they are from? Why or why not?

it's sort of "walk before you crawl" thing to me. i can't even pronounce words correctly and express myself clearly. how can i be able to "tailor" my accent simultaneously and accordingly when talking to people from different places ?? that's really a "mission impossible" for me. it's said you have got to crawl before you walk. though i'm not a firm believer in this saying, i agree with it in this case lo~ :lol:
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週四 8月 27, 2020 12:55 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Having a side hustle by doing what you like and make some money seems like a great idea. We all have something that someone wants. If we work on it, it may just happen. What stops people from doing so is negative thinking, and negative thinking comes from little confidence; little confidence is from lacking of experiences. I am looking forward to hearing people's experiences. It should be a lot of fun. :D
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

文章 Janice Wang »

For people that have or consider having a side hustle, the reasons probably vary from one another; also, the scale or the prospect of a side hustle is subject to the nature of the side hustle per se. A successful side hustle gets the potential to become the main hustle. One of my father's friends turned his tour-bus side hustle as a driver into the owner of a tour-bus empire. Poor management of a side hustle may cost a person a regular job and life. To balance work and life has been a long-standing issue for many, let alone juggling two jobs!

Side hustles to some people are to capitalize on the opportunity economy. It is possible to invest none or little capital in a side hustle if one feels the pinch. To leverage one's skills and interests and apply those available resources that can put one on the fast track to success. Such as an idle car to lift passenger and handmade crafts, home-made food, and resaleable stuff to kickstart the side hustle on various platforms. I think one of the most successful side hustles is “whistleblowers (檢舉達人) “, only need a cellphone to get the business done!

The current economic uncertainty implies the future economic outlook is unpredictable. It not only undermines the confidence in the stability of one’s job but also poses some risks and troubles of one’s long-term financial plan. As a result, those relevant factors contributing to the uptick in side hustles. The extra income generates from a side hustle may be a drop in the ocean, but it may become a low-hanging fruit that one can prepare for the unexpected.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

morris25 寫:
週一 8月 17, 2020 3:30 pm
When I traveled in Japan last year, I was found by travel companions to speak with stronger Japanese accent as days went by. It was probably because I learnt Japanese before and also because there are truckloads of common Japanese words coming from English, both of which make me susceptible to the notorious Japanese accent. After being bombarded with Japanese-accented English 24/7, I subconsciously tailored mine to them for easier communication.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:
週四 8月 27, 2020 10:13 am
Having a side hustle by doing what you like and make some money seems like a great idea. We all have something that someone wants. If we work on it, it may just happen. What stops people from doing so is negative thinking, and negative thinking comes from little confidence; little confidence is from lacking of experiences. I am looking forward to hearing people's experiences. It should be a lot of fun. :D
You really hit the nail on the head here, Rock. When it comes to sidelines, almost all I can think of are their cons. Maybe I should be as open-minded as you and look at part-time jobs in a positive light.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

I learnt some good expressions from Janice's post. Some of them aren't difficult and look self-explanatory. If I can use them in the future, my writing will definitely become more interesting.

Feel the pinch: experience hardship, especially financial
Capitalize on sth: to use a situation to your own advantage
A fast track to sth: a very quick way of achieving or dealing with sth
Uptick in sth: an increase in sth
A drop in the ocean: a very small amount compared with what is needed or expected
A low-hanging fruit: the most easily achieved of a set of tasks, measures, goals, etc.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Kooper 寫:
週六 8月 29, 2020 11:19 am
I learnt some good expressions from Janice's post. Some of them aren't difficult and look self-explanatory. If I can use them in the future, my writing will definitely become more interesting.
Great. After you get them into your writing, I'd like to see if you can do it in your speaking, too. It will be a big big challenge. (≧ω≦)/
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(19): Shirley, Julia, Jerry, Tom, Ramesh, Amy, Kat, Christine, Edward, Julian, Rock, Sabrina, Gloria, Kooper, Laura, Alice, Leon, Luis, Morris (host)
回覆文章