10/31(Sat) What is the Spirit of “Open Source” ?(Host:Jerry)

回覆文章
jerryozoz
YOYO member
文章: 61
註冊時間: 週二 8月 06, 2019 2:18 pm

10/31(Sat) What is the Spirit of “Open Source” ?(Host:Jerry)

文章 jerryozoz »

Preface
Hello everyone, I am Jerry. Thank you for reading this article, it's my honor to be a host in YoYo. I prepare this topic that is not easy to understand. I think variety is the characteristic in YoYo club. As an engineer, I hope to introduce some special thing in my working industry. Though the terms in this topic may not make people feel familiar, I would like to try introducing it in more simple way. I think "Open Source" is a term from software industry. But we will focus on it's "Spirit" instead of the technical issue. I think maybe one day this concept may affect different fields and make the world better.

A simple introduction for "Open Source" in software industry is that "Someone create a software project and public the detail of it. It makes other people can freely use it to achieve any goals, or modify the project to different purpose." Some people may recognize "Open Source" as a kind of charitable behavior due to one of famous open source project "Linux, a computer operation system" which is be valued as 16 billions dollar is totally shared on the Internet. Everyone can access it freely, learn from it, even using it to earn money. The mobile Android system is base on Linux and 498 of 500 top super computers are also base on it. The Linux project is distributed in 1991 years from an college student, Linus Torvalds. After about 30 years and much effort from different countries developers, the Linux operation system complete the incomparable achievement. How did it happen!

There are some reference links bellow, I don't think it's really need to understand whole of them. Just read if you have free time, or I will introduce it when the meeting start. By the way, in the Section-2, we will try to experience how to collaborate just like participating open source project. I am not sure it will success or not, but let's try it =)

Reference
1. Free software, free society: Richard Stallman at TEDxGeneva 2014: 2. Open Source Brief Introduction
https://opensource.com/resources/what-open-source
3. How getting into Open Source has been awesome for me
https://kentcdodds.com/blog/how-getting ... ome-for-me
4. GPL License vs. BSD License
https://www.teldat.com/blog/en/open-sou ... t-gpl-bsd/

Section 1
1. Do you understand what the “Open Source” means? What do you think is its spirit?
2. Can you distinguish the differences between “GPL” and “BSD” license? Which one do you think is real “Free”? or which one can really represent “Open Source”?
3. Do you agree “Copyright” is good for protecting creation? Will it also limit others’ creativity?
4. Open Source culture make specific domain’s entry barrier lower. Will it affect the industry you are in? Do you like it?
5. You may not be an engineer, but maybe you have some ideas that may change the world, or there is something that you aren’t really satisfied. Share your idea and maybe we can achieve them through Open Source.

Section 2
Sharing, collaborating are the elements of Open Source. In this section, we have a special try to participate Open Source culture. Just like Wikipedia, your team need to cooperate translating a Spanish story to English version. Everyone will get a paragraph of the story, you should translate it in 20mins by yourself. Then sharing it in your team and discuss how to improve it together in 20mins. All the edit should be done on the HackMD which is an open source collaborate platform created by a Taiwanese team.

Please prepare:
- Smart Phone(for editting on HackMD)
- Google translate https://reurl.cc/Ld4z7y
- Spanish keyboard https://reurl.cc/Md4xbk
- Collaborate website- HackMD https://hackmd.io/Y-k9ARauQFmXQzsRhZLjBQ?edit

You will get a similar paragraph below, and you can practicing this first and edit here https://hackmd.io/7RUiDd1SQyK6X7YOSIF_3g?edit.
Después de terminar un libro titulado “Marido es quien manda”, el hombre se sintió poderoso. Entró en la cocina y dijo a su mujer:
Desde ahora, tú tienes que obedecer todas mis ordenes, y nunca llevarás la contraria a lo que yo diga. A partir de esta noche, debes prepararme buena comida y buen vino. Me darás tú la comida a la boca. Me bañarás y me secarás el cuerpo. Me traerás la toalla y me masajerás. Después del masaje, adivina, ¿quién deberá vestirme y peinarme?
La mujer le miró y dijo: ¿un trabajador del tanatorio?

<Here is the Chinese version by Google translate, just for reference>
在完成一本名為“丈夫是老闆”的書之後,這個人感到很有力量。 他走進廚房,對妻子說:
從現在開始,您必須遵守我的所有命令,並且您將永遠不會違背我所說的話。 從今晚開始,您必須為我準備好食物和好酒。 你會把食物放進我的嘴裡。 您將給我洗澡並擦乾我的身體。 您將把毛巾拿來給我,然後給我按摩。 按摩後,您猜怎麼著,應該由誰來打扮我的頭髮?
女人看著他說:and儀館的一名工人?

Extension issues
* How does "Open Source" get profit?
* Open Source has pros, but does it has cons?
* CC(Common Creative)

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $85)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
最後由 jerryozoz 於 週六 10月 31, 2020 12:16 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 10 次。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 10/31(Sat) What is the Spirit of “Open Source” ?(Host:Jerry)

文章 Iris Wu »

This is probably an unprecedent and maybe never after session, because of its technical characteristics! :)

Personally, I think the first TED Talk about free software is biased. I would think the true spirit of open source can be found in this TED Dialogue interview with the master mind of Linux and Git, Linus Torvalds, the creator of both.

https://www.ted.com/talks/linus_torvald ... ign=embedT

It was a fun interview and you will find the simple (but great) mind of those who are passionate in making software work for something meaningful to them. It all started just like that. He said more than 10 times, "I am not a people person" in the interview, and he is definitely a geek, but it doesn't hurt them as a nice human being. They have great mind in virtual collaboration, which is hundreds and thousands of times bigger than any physical collaboration.

The most important is how he values commercial companies and projects working with open source software. He sees the collaboration in both. He sees the strength and shortcoming on each side, and how they can complement each other.

At the end of the interview, he used a coding example, singly-linked list, a very simple example to show how artistic a piece of software could be, so neat, but covering all the aspects of logic flawlessly, which is probably only appreciated by the software developers, but it's not much different from all the other art works.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

It's very good to have free things. But, I also wonder how they make a living.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Both the concepts of patent and open source were created for the purpose of boosting invention, but they take very different approaches toward the goal. Patent focuses on self-interest, designed to protect interests of inventors, while open source embraces collective contribution, transparency and altruism. They seem to sit at opposite poles of the spectrum when it comes to human nature. One is to ward off ill will, and the other believes in men’s good nature.

In my notion, patent and open source are complementary to each other. Patent is supposed to prompt invention, but commercial companies have learnt rules of the game so well that they often use it to unfairly raise entry barriers of a market or steer clear of competition. On the other hand, programmers coming in on an open source project might find it not profitable enough for them to make ends meet and can only do it part-time or treat it like a labor of love.
jerryozoz
YOYO member

文章 jerryozoz »

Sorry, that I move some text from the formal HackMD page to practing HackMD page. Because we will do collaborating later on the meeting, haha.

Thanks to Kooper for share your idea, I think it's a good viewpoint. I think we always in the trend of the world and everyone watch what will happen, then we make the history for the next generation.

Rock, I will share something about "How does Open Source get profit?" after section2, I think maybe you will be interesting.

Iris, I think you share a really good video, let me post it bellow. I think Linus Torvalds is cool guy, and I think many software engineer will view him as a god of programmer. I like the paragraph at video [17:01]. It's really a engineer.
Linus Torvalds: And I am not a visionary. I do not have a five-year plan. I'm an engineer. And I think it's really-- I mean-- I'm perfectly happy with all the people who are walking around and just staring at the clouds and looking at the stars and saying, "I want to go there." But I'm looking at the ground, and I want to fix the pothole that's right in front of me before I fall in. This is the kind of person I am.
jerryozoz
YOYO member

文章 jerryozoz »

By the way, Linus Torvalds is really famous about this video at 49:26, haha
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(20): Morris, Julia, Pei-pei, Ramesh, Winston, Alice, David, Kooper, Gloria, Iris, Steve, Sherry, Julian, Sabrina, Tom, Tashi, Jessica, Jason, Annie, Jerry(host)
回覆文章