11/3(Tue) Get comfortable with being uncomfortable (Host: Liwen)

回覆文章
頭像
liwen
YOYO member
文章: 57
註冊時間: 週日 10月 04, 2009 10:20 am

文章 liwen »

Hello, dear Yoyos! This is Liwen Chen. I will be the host for the meeting on Tuesday night, November 3.

This time I want to talk to you about one of my favorite topics. It’s really a life motto for me. I want to tell you why it’s so important for you to start getting comfortable, even when you feel uncomfortable.

Please watch the video. If you have time, you can read the article as well.
Get comfortable with being uncomfortable | Luvvie Ajayi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijH4UAqGD8

How to get comfortable with being uncomfortable
https://medium.com/swlh/how-to-get-comf ... 93d6ada67

Questions for discussion:

Session 1
Q1. What is the most uncomfortable situation that you have encountered? Why we often shy away from challenges?

Q2. The domino effect occurs when one event triggers a chain reaction of similar events. Being the first domino may require enormous self-sacrifice. Do you have the courage to be a first domino?

Q3. How will you respond to failure? Is there a trusted friend or colleague who can support you through this failure?

Session 2
Q4. What becomes possibly when you embrace uncomfortable? What’s the worst that could happen?

Q5. Why being uncomfortable is a good thing? What benefit do you get from forcing yourself out of your comfort zone?

Q6. Could you share your tips for getting comfortable being uncomfortable and embracing change?

******************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:00pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)

*****************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. Participants are recommended to print out the questions for the discussion. Also, the supporting articles, if preferred not to access them via their own mobile phone.
2. Please read the articles and discussion questions provided by the host and write down your thoughts in English in advance.

For Newcomers:
1. Please prepare a two-to-three minute introduction of yourself in English. You may also be asked to give brief feedback at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. The entire meeting is conducted in English. All participants should at least have moderate English conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
3. Newcomers are welcome to attend the meeting and join the discussion up to three times. Formal membership with a lifetime membership fee NT$1000 is required afterward.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 11/3(Tue) Get comfortable with being uncomfortable (Host: Liwen)

文章 Iris Wu »

Trying to understand what makes us uncomfortable is the first step of self-awareness. A lot of times, we made excuses to avoid facing changes, selections and any challenges.

Why do we have hard time to recognize the uncomfortable situations? It’s because to admit something uncomfortable makes us vulnerable. We normally do not like to see our vulnerability, but only when revealing it, we can pave a solid path to “get comfortable” by more practice or mentally more resilient to face the challenges.

For those daily habits that we try to change, or certain physical challenges, such as scuba diving or skydiving, it is "uncomfortable" to start with, but it just requires the will power or "practice makes perfect" type of actions. I think the real "uncomfortable" things and harder to get comfortable are those self-actualization stuff, who we are, what we are and how we become what we are, etc. That's the area we hardly know exactly if we are at peace with it, not to mention how to get comfortable with it.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

I agree with the article that “we’re each comfortable with different levels of challenge and risk in different scenarios.” What is very difficult for me may just for others a walk in the park.

Recently I have taken on a challenge to refrain from having snacks in the afternoon. It’s truly difficult and uncomfortable (physically and mentally) not to eat because there is a snack bar in my office, and people around me always have snacks in the afternoon.

Last week a neighbor in the office told me that he was on a diet and wanted to quit afternoon tea, so we could encourage (x) or monitor (✓) each other in this matter. It really works! Now I have been successfully preventing myself from eating anything between lunch and dinner for a week. It’s hard work, but I feel much much better knowing that someone else is suffering the same torture.

The conclusion: Having a partner helps a lot.
頭像
liwen
YOYO member
文章: 57
註冊時間: 週日 10月 04, 2009 10:20 am

文章 liwen »

Dear Yoyos,

Thanks for attending this meeting. We had a very interesting discussion for how to get out comfort zone yesterday. :lol:

Attendees(13): Iris, Amy, Daphne, Julia, Morris, Steve, Chris, Sherry, Howard, Anne,Julian, Shirley, Liwen(Host)

Re-presenters for Session 1: Amy, Daphne,Howard, Julia
Re-presenters for Session 2: Morris, Anne, Iris
回覆文章