11/28(Sat)How to Make Hard Choices (Host:Kooper)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

11/28(Sat)How to Make Hard Choices (Host:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

Dear all,

Recently I've been facing some hard choices so I decided to revisit an old 2016 topic - how to make hard choices. This TED talk has long been one of my favorites. Hopefully, it will serve you as well as how it has enlightened me.

1. TED talk: How to make hard choices

2. (Optional)Article: The Right Way to Make a Hard Choice .

Questions for Discussion
Session One:
  • What's the speaker's definition of hard and easy choices? Are hard choices always big according to her?
  • Could you share an example of small but tough choice that you have made recently?
  • On the flip side, share us a big decision that you made before but that was actually a no-brainer
  • Did you experience hard choices that didn't fit her definition? What is your own definition of tough decisions?
2. The philosopher mentioned several myths in making hard choices. What are they and how did she reason to debunk these myths? Do you buy her reasoning?

3. What advice did the speaker make when it comes to making hard choices? According to her, what option do people usually turn to in tough decisions? Do you agree on her theory and suggestion?

Session Two:
  • Do you consider yourself a drifter when it comes to major life decisions such as career, education, finance, marriage, parenting, and others?
  • Have you made any hard choices that follow the philosopher's advice? In hindsight, were they good decisions? Did those decisions make you become the kind of person you were pursuing, as she suggested?
  • There are many decision making theories proposed by management experts. A simple google search brings us countless advice on how to make tough decisions. Please pick one of the theories and share with us.
  • What is your own tips on decision making?

Bonus Question:
Please select one of the following expressions, explain its meaning, and make some sentences using them.
- If something leaves somebody cold (0:35)
- If a decision is momentous (0:46)
- If you wring your hands (0:50)
- If you gnash your teeth (0:50)
- Occasions when you uproot, uproot your family, or uproot your life (1:32)
- How does the speaker describe the idea in English that 兩個選擇整體來看並沒有任何一個勝出?
- An intractable choice, problem is...? (2:05)
- We unwittingly assume that ... (7:36)
- A is akin to B (7:36)
- If the alternatives are on a par (9:26)
- to enslave somebody (10:33)

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization (20 mins)

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: 11/28(Sat)How to Make Hard Choices (Host:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

My gut feeling tells me that the turnout today is going to fall below average. For those who do plan to come, let's have some cozy chats. See you there. :mrgreen:
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: 11/28(Sat)How to Make Hard Choices (Host:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(21): Christine, Morris, Rosie, Michael, Arthur, Mandy, Shirley, Steve, Alice, Laura, Howard, Lewis, Ramesh, Leon, Tom, David, Johnie, Jason, Carmelo, Jerry, Thomas

My prediction is totally wrong, but it's a pleasant mistake. The number turned out to be rather high. Thank you all for making the hard choice and showing up to support.
回覆文章