12/12(Sat) Outliers: The Story of Success (host:Howard)

回覆文章
howard1229
文章: 2
註冊時間: 週四 12月 10, 2020 9:33 pm

12/12(Sat) Outliers: The Story of Success (host:Howard)

文章 howard1229 »

Dear Yoyos,

I’m be honored to host this Saturday's meeting. Since I joined Yoyo I met many friends working in different professional fields or full of experience in particular areas. I found out “Outliers” is one of my favorite books fit for Yoyo outliers to discuss.

The video of this book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBob67xwuGk

main-ideas
https://www.coursehero.com/lit/Outliers ... ain-ideas/

THE 6 KEY POINTS IN THE BOOK

1) Opportunity knocks for some (e.g. birthdates, in the right place, etc)

2) Timing – Critical to success and opportunity.

3) Upbringing leads to opportunity – The quality of upbringing a child has been shown to be a key determinant on future success (even more so than pure IQ).

4) 10,000 hours – takes that amount of time to ‘master’ something. People with an opportunity have the chance to ‘do’ the 10,000 hours. Others don’t.

5) Meaningful work – If you feel there is a real purpose to your work, it’s more likely you will work hard.

6) Cultural legacy – Our Values drive our behavior. Our values are often passed down from generation to
generation (e.g. The Koreans are very deferential to authority, which led to a series of plane crashes; Asians are better ability at math

Questions for Discussion

Session One:
Opportunity, Timing, 10000 hours rule

1.Do you think success is a matter of luck as Arthur said? If you lack opportunity in your environment how can you overcome this situation?

2. Timing is the one of important factors for success story of life. Have you even catch good timing on your carrier, a good relationship, or any position you want to get? How can you find out that or just luck?

3. What kind of skill or the job your think requires 10000 hours can be master?
Have you experienced 10000 hours of practice learning any skill?
What's the reason driving you want to be?

Session Two:
Cultural legacy

4. Korean Air suffered 17 times between 1988 and 1998 due to very deferential to authority.
How comes speak English in the cockpit made totally change the mindset of native Korean pilots and made flight safer? Have you experienced in changing the language you speak as changing your mindset? Please share your experience

5.Author mentioned about language and farming practices made Asians learning math better than Westerners. Are you agree with this idea he said? Or you have a better idea

6. Under Covin19 we keep maximum freedom and maintain normal life since outbreak.
What kind of cultural legacy help us overcome this pandemic?

Addition information :

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell | Full Audiobook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-VptYifsl4

Cultural legacy definition:
A cultural legacy is the inheritance of cultural traits that influence our success or failure. They are often determined by cultural practices from centuries ago that have been passed down through each generation

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
回覆文章