1/26 (Tue.) Personal Finance (Host: Lewis Lu)

回覆文章
Lewis Lu
YOYO member
文章: 11
註冊時間: 週五 12月 20, 2019 8:04 pm
聯繫:

1/26 (Tue.) Personal Finance (Host: Lewis Lu)

文章 Lewis Lu »

Hi everyone,

I am back to Taipei for winter vacation so I can support yoyo regular meetings.
This time we wouldn't have any philosophical debates or other serious talks. Instead, we would discuss one of essential topics for our lives, which is the personal finance.

Here are some tips for the personal finance:
https://hbr.org/2019/08/manage-your-per ... strategies

Before jumping into the tools or methods of personal finance, let's begin with the concepts and philosophy of the personal finance first!

Session One: Concept

1. Why do we need to learn about the personal finance even we have regular income? Why is so important to our lives?
2. Consumerism is the main trend for our society, do you support the concept of Consumerism? Why or why not?
3. Saving money right now could not earn much interests from the bank, do you still think that saving money is important? why or why not?

Session Two: Execution
1. Do you learn the personal finance? If so, how do you learn it?
2. Based on the article above, could you share your the result of the SWOT analysis? What do you learn from the result?
3. If your partner/friends/spouse has a totally different philosophy of the personal finance, how would you reconcile the conflicts?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:0pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. Participants are recommended to print out the questions for the discussion. Also, the supporting articles, if preferred not to access them via their own mobile phone.
2. Please read the articles and discussion questions provided by the host and write down your thoughts in English in advance.

For Newcomers:
1. Please prepare a two-to-three minute introduction of yourself in English. You may also be asked to give brief feedback at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. The entire meeting is conducted in English. All participants should at least have moderate English conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
3. Newcomers are welcome to attend the meeting and join the discussion up to three times. Formal membership with a lifetime membership fee NT$1000 is required afterward.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 1/26 (Tue.) Personal Finance (Host: Lewis Lu)

文章 Iris Wu »

It's so nice to have Lewis back to host a YoYo meeting on such a practical topic to review an important part of our lives, our personal finance!

I haven't had time to study and think, but just want to bring the post to the top of our forum, and hope our Tuesday crowd come to chat and share some personal experience.
I'll get my head around this subject and make some more comments later.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 1/26 (Tue.) Personal Finance (Host: Lewis Lu)

文章 Iris Wu »

Sometimes I appreciate my “insecure nature” (the nature of feeling insecure), which helps me to be more prepared and more resilient financially and mentally, but I certainly understand the frustration during the financial planning process.
As the famous saying goes, “Man propose, God disposes!” No matter how exhaustive we make plans, it is hard to keep up with the pace of changes. When we think we save enough to buy a dream home, the price has already doubled!

The theme and foundation of modern societies and economy, consumerism, seems to get everyone trapped “in the Cult of the Next Thing”. Sometimes we are seeing that even schools are carrying the mission to make profit by stimulating the desire of “degrees/status/value of networking”, etc.

Managing the mentality of consumption is an important part of personal finance. SWOT techniques are good tools to examine our characteristics and revamp our self-awareness for making practical financial planning.

Though things don't always work out as they were planned and we can’t plan for all the contingencies, still many a little makes a mickle. Investing on our skills to maintain a steady job and generating regular income stream are important, but in the meantime, there is no serious doubt that investing into the financial planning mentality and skills would prevent the panic in the unexpected crisis and prepare us the financial freedom and independence during the retirement stage.
回覆文章