3/9 (Tue.) Acting 101 + Idiom Blast No. 3! (Host: Kat)

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

3/9 (Tue.) Acting 101 + Idiom Blast No. 3! (Host: Kat)

文章 Kat C »

Dear friends,

In response to the call for hosting support earlier this year, I signed up to chip in whenever I could. So you’ll be seeing quite a bit of me. :mrgreen: I’ll try different things for each meeting, and hope that you pick up a thing or two, or just have a good time.

As I was going through my potential topics for the coming meeting, it occurred to me that while I had done theater in New York and quite a few countries, spanning most of my adult life, I haven’t shared any of that at Yoyo. So here it is! I’ll also run our third idiom drill, to put some of the most useful idioms to work.

--------------------**☽☾**----------**☽☾**----------**☽☾**-------------------

📌 Acting 101

What is acting?

Although people most often see acting through some forms of entertainment, acting has been widely used in many fields: situational dialogues in language classes; role-playing in conflict resolution, therapy, sensitivity and diversity courses, and team-building. Plus almost any kind of job training—how to interact with customers in CS, to negotiate effectively, and to “act professionally.” Acting is virtually everywhere.

Meryl Streep says on acting, “I'm curious about other people. That's the essence of my acting. I'm interested in what it would be like to be you.” Acting is essentially putting yourself in someone else’s shoes. Empathy, understanding and growth are its great rewards.

Meryl Streep also says, “My job is usually to express emotion as freely as possible.” Acting is not only helpful for relating to others, but also conducive to self-discovery and self-expression. By acting out emotions in a safe environment, we don’t have to suppress them. We get to ask: Why do I feel this way? What do all these feelings say?

We’ll try a few acting exercises (=games!) I’ve used a lot with my actors, share our experience, and have fun with some famous dialogues and scenes. You can be the star of the hour! But you don’t have to be on the “stage” if you prefer to act “off” the stage.

💡 Explore the ideas from the links below for our discussion:

▶ Actors on Acting (Video / 10 mins)

▶ Juilliard Drama | A Day in the Life (The Juilliard School / 5 mins)

▶ Who am I? Think again (TED / 9 mins)

--------------------**☽☾**----------**☽☾**----------**☽☾**-------------------

📌 Idiom Blast No. 3

Kooper and Michael have been doing excellent work putting out idiom quizzes on our main LINE group chat. Now it’s an opportunity to actually say them—idioms are for everyday conversations. You know what the idioms mean; but when you talk, do you still use those “single” words instead of their idiomatic equivalents, which are more “native sounding?”

Big thanks to Kooper and Michael for letting me use their idiom lists. I’ve selected the following based on their high-frequency and difficulty for Chinese learners. The more you familiarize yourself with their meanings and usages before the meeting, the more fun you’d have at the Blast.

🎆 Idiom Blast!

come to a head
bear the brunt (of sth)
beat oneself up / beat up on
be on the cusp of sth
give sb a run for their money
drop the/a bombshell
put sth on the line
beat sb to the punch
in over one's head
put someone on blast
make do with
pull oneself together
do sb/sth justice
bank on sb/sth
by the seat of someone’s pants
act up
the operative word
hands down
breathing room
have a field day
go to bat for sb
step up to the plate
take a crack at
get a raw deal
go so far as to do sth
short-change

There you have it. Beef up your idiom power and start making them work for you! :D

Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:45pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
7:45 ~ 8:00pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:05 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $100)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
最後由 Kat C 於 週二 3月 09, 2021 4:06 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 6 次。
回覆文章