3/20(Sat) How To Get Your Groove Back (Host: Kooper)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2631
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

3/20(Sat) How To Get Your Groove Back (Host: Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

How To Get Your Groove Back: A Guide To Getting Re-Inspired
http://theglitterguide.com/2020/05/07/g ... -inspired/

Ways to help us get our groove back:
1. Take a Break
2. Try Something Else
3. Focus on a Related Project
4. Listen to Music
5. Utilize Pinterest
6. Read Something Inspiring
7. Indulge in the Content of Those Who You Look Up To
8. Talk to Friends
9. Sleep On It

Questions for Discussion:
Session One:
1. Have you burned out or been on the cusp of burnout at work? What happened and how did you pull through? Did it take any lingering toll on your health, either physically or mentally?

2. Has it happened to you that a once enjoyable hobby turned into sources of stress and was eventually given up?

3. Unlike the heart-wrenching cases shared in the previous question, is there any happy-ending stories where you saved an endangered hobby by reigniting passion for it? What did you do to reverse the trend?

3.5 If you make good time and finish the first three questions early, jump to question #7 and share some expressions you've learnt from the article.

Session Two:
4. The article suggests nine ways that might help us get re-inspired. Which of them have you tried and they indeed did the trick?

5. One of the tips makes use of an app Pinterest. What is Pinterest for? What’s the reasoning behind this tip?

6. The author also suggests “focusing on a related project.” This seems to echo countermeasures against the problem of procrastination. Why do you think this step might help?

7. There are a bunch of idioms and slangs being used in the article. Please pick one or two that’s new to you, share their meanings with tablemates, and try using them in sentences.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
****************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號 - 捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: 3/20(Sat) How To Get Your Groove Back (Host: Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

It's time for some casual talk while learning one or two expressions in English at the same time. Let's have some fun today. See you there my friend. :mrgreen:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Here is a page giving good explanation and useful examples of the slang FIND A GROOVE: https://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/178 ... d_a_groove
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 756
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

I did not plan to come to the Saturday meeting as usual and besides I have a community HOA meeting obligation this afternoon, but thanks to Jerry’s meeting alert setup, I could not help peeking the contents of the meeting.

It is a casual talk and I feel the article is pretty “native”! The tone, the expressions and the ideas are very “American”, well, actually it is more of a general phenomenon now. or I should say it’s kind of matching my current mood, needing to get my groove back, too! 😊

Interestingly, I think I am doing most of the activities suggested in the article except using Pinterest app. I got the ideas of Pinterest. Similar to the new hot social app, Clubhouse, you can connect to many people who may have same interests as you do and check out from each other’s collections.

Maybe we all have ebbs and flows in our lives and maybe we all have tried our own ways to deal with it. The advice is useful and welcome, but at the end of the day, it is still that our “monkey mind” determines our thoughts and how we feel about our lives. I think the bottom line is still how we practice seeing ourselves and the world clearly, so we won’t fall into the pattern of forever pursuing things.

I hope I can at least catch up with you guys in the second session. :)
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(29): Holly, Laura, Michael, Morris, Amy, Alice, Eric, Andy, Rosie, Howard, Steve, Christine, Ramesh, Julia, Winston, Mandy, Carmelo, James, Gloria, Tashi, Sunny, Leon, Tom, Iris, Jessica, Jennia, Julian, Jason, Kooper (host)
回覆文章