3/23 (Tue.) Multiple Intelligences / Salmon Chaos (Host: Andy)

回覆文章
頭像
Andy
Vice President
文章: 116
註冊時間: 週五 12月 17, 2004 4:36 pm
來自: Taipei

3/23 (Tue.) Multiple Intelligences / Salmon Chaos (Host: Andy)

文章 Andy »

Hello! I'm Andy. It's my pleasure to be the host on 3/23.

In session I, we will discuss the theory of multiple intelligences proposed by Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner. Although the theory has been criticized by mainstream psychology for its lack of empirical evidence, and its dependence on subjective judgement, the theory is still useful to teachers and caretakers who value a more holistic view of child development.

In Session II, we will discuss Salmon Chaos that is frequently reported these days.

Session I: Multiple Intelligence

The Different Types of Intelligence: What Kind of Smarts are You?
https://www.sacap.edu.za/blog/applied-p ... elligence/

9 Types of Intelligence
圖檔

Naturalist (nature smart)
Musical (sound smart)
Logical-mathematical (number/reasoning smart)
Existential (life smart)
Interpersonal (people smart)
Bodily-kinesthetic (body smart)
Linguistic (word smart)
Intra-personal (self smart)
Spatial (picture smart)

[Questions]
1. When you hear that someone is highly intelligent, what do you think of the person?
2. According to the theory of multiple intelligences of Howard Gardner, which one do you think that is the most important intelligence and what kind of smarts are you?
3. How much better or worse and how so is Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences compared to traditional intelligence quotient (IQ) theory?
4. How we define intelligence makes a philosophical statement about what we value in education. Can the theory of multiple intelligences be applied to school education and Why? How educators should implement the theory of multiple intelligences?

Session II: Salmon Chaos

'Salmon chaos' in Taiwan as people change their names to get free sushi
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/salm ... i-n1261506

[Questions]
1. Why people change their name? Have you ever wanted to change your name and why?
2. In this event, most people who change their names are between 18 and 23 years old. How do you feel and why?
3. Do you think this promotion is positive or negative for Taiwan Sushiro and why?
4. Many International media, such as CNN and BBC, reported this event. Do you think it is positive or negative for Taiwan and why?

圖檔

Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:45pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
7:45 ~ 8:00pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:05 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $85)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
頭像
Andy
Vice President
文章: 116
註冊時間: 週五 12月 17, 2004 4:36 pm
來自: Taipei

Re: 3/23 (Tue.) Multiple Intelligences / Salmon Chaos (Host: Andy)

文章 Andy »

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 3/23 (Tue.) Multiple Intelligences / Salmon Chaos (Host: Andy)

文章 Iris Wu »

We might not know the 9 intelligences before this introduction, but we probably all have been categorized into one of the two classes, book smarts or street smarts. Many of us are probably the “victims” of our society, which overly emphasizes the academic values and overlooks the practical skills.

Definitely, the 9 multiple intelligences better define the human intelligences, but I think it’s still not all-inclusive. For example, I am not sure which intelligence the acting (performance art) talent belong to. The ideas behind the research and theory are to provide a wider view of human intelligences and facilitate variety of learning styles to maximize human potential.

There is still a challenge to overcome: the variety of human talents are not valued equally by all the societies, which will probably never be. Those who own the undervalued talents will always need to struggle. As a member of the society, learning to appreciate multiple intelligences in all human beings may help opening up new horizons for those who are struggling to get recognized.
回覆文章