4/17 (Sat) Little Big Women (Host: Holly)

回覆文章
hollywang1991
YOYO member
文章: 21
註冊時間: 週六 12月 01, 2018 9:37 pm

4/17 (Sat) Little Big Women (Host: Holly)

文章 hollywang1991 »

Hi everyone :D As the subject line indicates, "Little Big Women" is a Taiwanese movie produced by Vivian Hsu(徐若瑄) and Shu-Fang Chen(陳淑芳) won the best leading actress at Golden Horse Awards because of this film.

If you haven't seen this melodrama or never gonna give it a try, it's fine 8). Great if you can have a look at the trailer & enjoy the theme songs though, I believe they may help you to have a big picture of today's meeting.

:idea: Official trailer :idea: Theme song #1 :idea: Theme song #2
For the meeting, please read the movie review here :arrow: https://dailytrojan.com/2021/02/08/soft ... struggles/

<Session I>

1. What's family loyalty to you? Is that something people do on purpose or unconsciously?
:arrow: Family loyalty refers to the feelings of mutual obligation, commitment, and closeness that exist among family members (e.g., parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren, siblings).

2. In the story, three daughters of Lin Shoying (played by 陳淑芳) have forgone opposite paths to cope with their father’s absence. Do you have a specific way to cope with beloved/ significant ones' physical or emotional absence?

3. Family dynamic means unique patterns of relating, or interactions, between family members. Try to reflect on the family dynamic you are involved in, and do you like it?

<Session II>

4. Can you think of any Taiwanese family culture that relates to the complex relationships and struggles within the family?

5. "Little Big Women" digs into the traditional female virtue and gender role expectations. Can you think of some examples and do you it's changing a bit over time?

6. This is an extremely easy one! Introduce a movie you recently watched to your group members and tell us why do you recommend it (or not). :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 4/17 (Sat) Little Big Women (Host: Holly)

文章 Rock »

Hey, Holly, but I remember you said that you don't speak Taiwanese, then how do you enjoy that movie with so much Taiwanese? BTW, anyone picked up how they say "karma" in Taiwanese in that movie trailer? :shock:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

I watched the whole movie online yesterday. The movie shows us step by step what story happened in this family and eventually reveals to us the hidden secret behind this family. So, it is not a boring movie and worthy of watching.

This movie reminds me of a simliar American family drama movie "八月心風暴" in which Meryl Streep plays the role of the mother.

Anyway, I believe we all can relate to thoese hurtful remarks parents ever say to children. It must be happened to most of us, I guess.

Since Rock mentioned about Taiwanese language, I would like to recommand some Youtube videos I recently found very interesting. It is called "閩南語漢字學"

To give you guys an example, I learned from the videos that the correct Chinese words for "抓猴" should be "掠媾", which makes sense to me.

About "karma", Rock, doesn't it just sound like "報應" in the movie?
hollywang1991
YOYO member

文章 hollywang1991 »

Rock 寫:
週五 4月 09, 2021 11:23 pm
Hey, Holly, but I remember you said that you don't speak Taiwanese, then how do you enjoy that movie with so much Taiwanese? BTW, anyone picked up how they say "karma" in Taiwanese in that movie trailer? :shock:
Haha, cant believe you still remember! Yes, I still have trouble understanding Taiwanese so I heavily rely on the subtitles:)
hollywang1991
YOYO member

文章 hollywang1991 »

Michael-liu 寫:
週四 4月 15, 2021 1:39 pm
I watched the whole movie online yesterday. The movie shows us step by step what story happened in this family and eventually reveals to us the hidden secret behind this family. So, it is not a boring movie and worthy of watching.

This movie reminds me of a simliar American family drama movie "八月心風暴" in which Meryl Streep plays the role of the mother.

Anyway, I believe we all can relate to thoese hurtful remarks parents ever say to children. It must be happened to most of us, I guess.

Since Rock mentioned about Taiwanese language, I would like to recommand some Youtube videos I recently found very interesting. It is called "閩南語漢字學"

To give you guys an example, I learned from the videos that the correct Chinese words for "抓猴" should be "掠媾", which makes sense to me.

About "karma", Rock, doesn't it just sound like "報應" in the movie?
Thank you, Michael. I am glad you enjoy this movie:) I have seen "August: Osage County(八月心風暴)" and it's more intense/dramatic than Big Little Women to me, but both movies show how complicated it can be when it comes love, family, and family secrets.
I have read an article that says every parent learns to be a parent once he/she becomes one, and there's no so-called "first-time parent". Every child is unique, so parents need to learn and create an atmosphere for their children, and every time is new. Parenting is not an easy job after all, salute to all the parents out there:)
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

6. This is an extremely easy one! Introduce a movie you recently watched to your group members and tell us why do you recommend it (or not).
I would like to recommend "Man In Love". though I didn't see it myself, I knew it would be very touching. :)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

If my memory serves me right, YOYO use a particular movie as a topic only once in a blue moon. It’s a refreshing attempt to discuss Taiwanese films, which have come a long and impressive way in recent years. Hopefully it won't take long to discuss next great local film in the future.

I haven’t watched the Little Big Women but have heard of it in many occasions. After going through all the material Holly prepared for us, I think I'm biting now. :mrgreen:
回覆文章