6/8 (Tue.) Fun with Psychology(Host: Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

6/8 (Tue.) Fun with Psychology(Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Hi all,

Happy semi-quarantine!
I am actually not very keen on online meetings but apparently, we can foresee that the pandemic issue is going to linger around and keep us from our regular meetings for quite some time. :cry:

Today the theme of our discussion will be in the realm of psychology. Here is the link for joining this online meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84829658724?p ... NHc3ErUT09

Session I. Rational versus Reasonable

I hardly put any effort into reading English books but I am enjoying one now. One of the chapters in “The Psychology of Money” elaborates “Reasonable > Rational” with a few examples and inferences to make the concept appealing.

Fever is scientifically a mechanism evolved in killing viruses in our body by our immune system, so when we get a cold, we should not be in a rush to get medicine to reduce it. However, when we feel hurt by bone-rattling symptoms, we would be more motivated to get some medicine to reduce the fever and make it disappear.

This is an example from the book which tells us that having a fever isn’t bad and letting it work by itself to some extent is actually healthy and rational. However, most of us would choose to tell our doctor to cease it as quickly as they can, and that is reasonable to do because we don’t like the pain. For the author of the book, it’s the same case when it comes to investment strategies. What about other aspects of our lives?

Questions:

1. Please try to define “rational” and “reasonable” based on your understanding. What is the major difference?

2. Do you belong to the group that would hang in there and let the fever finish its own work? Or you tend to cease the pain and fever as soon as possible just in case it impacts your efficiency? What would be your strategy?

3. If you break up with someone, suffering from losing your romantic relationship, what are the actions would you take to help yourselves? Is it more like a rational choice or a reasonable one to you?

4. Have you had the experience that you did something out of the most “rational” consideration at that time and that was even after consulting with a lot of experts around you, but the result still turned out badly? If you have, why did it turn out like that?

Session II. A lot of Psychology “Effects”

The top 10 psychology effects we cannot escape from under
https://tw.aboluowang.com/2018/0410/1097503.html

10 Psychology effects that affect our behavior
https://brightside.me/inspiration-psych ... or-352710/

More and more to go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... al_effects

To be honest, most of the terminologies are strange to me but when I look into some of them, they seem familiar. For example, the “Cocktail party effect” says that if you focus on one thing very much, such as listening to someone’s voice, you will ignore other voices and even many other changes of surrounding. And the “Michelangelo Phenomenon”, that I learned from Holly’s meeting this Tue, says that romantic partners influence or 'sculpt' each other, which also makes sense.

Is this a trick of inventing terminology to make psychologists look good and authoritative? Or are those “effects” and “phenomenon” actually universal?

Please read through the 20 subjects in the first links and then discuss with your members about the following questions:

1. How many do you recognize and can tell what they mean just by seeing the terminologies? Do you remember how they were introduced to you?

2. Among those, is there anything new to you like a surprise?

3. Among those effects, what do you think are useful to apply in your professional field, to our society or in developing a relationship?

4. Linking back to session 1, if you agree that most of the “effects” are applicable to you, can we say that is one of the reasons why “rational” isn’t always good?

5. Do you feel it difficult to maintain your mental health, the longer we live the harder it become? Or is it the opposite, your mental health gets better as time goes by?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:0pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)
****************************************************************************************************************************************
回覆文章