(ONLINE) 7/24 (Sat) Memory—When it fades, am I still me? (Host: Kat)

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

(ONLINE) 7/24 (Sat) Memory—When it fades, am I still me? (Host: Kat)

文章 Kat C »

圖檔

Memory—When it fades, am I still me? Is love still there?

Dear friends,

I’ve been thinking about memory these days—prompted by the fact that I seem to be constantly short on it, and losing more of it as we speak! :mrgreen:

A great film I’ve just watched also inspired me to think more deeply about the link between what memories we have and who we are. “Little Fish,” a “pandemic sci-fi love story” that was made last year and came out early this year, is about a “memory loss virus” that spreads around the world, and how a couple struggles to hang on to their love.

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” on the opposite track, is a 2004 film about two ex lovers trying to erase their memories of each other—good and bad, for it’s exactly the best ones that hurt the most.

Memory is a funny thing. We often wish that we remembered things that we’ve forgotten, while trying to forget things that have somehow stubbornly lodged in our mind.

From amnesia to Alzheimer’s disease, from Déjà vu to false memory, our memory can play tricks on us. When memory is tied so closely to our experience, emotions, knowledge, and the sense of self, what does it mean when it fades or gets distorted?

When that happens, are we still ourselves, or do we become different people? Do we lose everything along with memory—the love for people and things we used to “know,” relationships, life experience, acquired knowledge, and even personality?

If we can erase past trauma, experience of abuse, regrets, grief, hatred, or misinformation from our mind, just by losing or altering memory, is it a good thing? Should we attempt it if we could?

Let’s explore what memory means to us—while we can still remember! :lol:

--------------------**☽☾**----------**☽☾**----------**☽☾**-------------------

📌 What we know about "memory":

"Memory is the faculty of the brain by which data or information is encoded, stored, and retrieved when needed. It is the retention of information over time for the purpose of influencing future action. If past events could not be remembered, it would be impossible for language, relationships, or personal identity to develop." (Wikipedia)

“Memory refers to the processes that are used to acquire, store, retain, and later retrieve information. There are three major processes involved in memory: encoding, storage, and retrieval.

Human memory involves the ability to both preserve and recover information we have learned or experienced. As we all know, however, this is not a flawless process. Sometimes we forget or misremember things. Sometimes things are not properly encoded in memory in the first place.” (Very Well Mind)

📌 Helpful links:

We may explore some of the ideas from the links below. The views expressed are solely those of the respective authors.

➤ How memories form and how we lose them (TED-Ed / video / 4 mins)

➤ How Your Memory Works (It's Okay To Be Smart / PBS Digital Studio / 9 mins)

➤ Are all of your memories real? (TED-Ed / 5 mins)

If you have more time—and memory capacity! :lol:

➤ The Self That's Left When Memories Fade (NPR / 36 mins with transcript)
https://www.npr.org/2013/01/24/17017568 ... ories-fade

➤ What Is Memory? (Very Well Mind)
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-memory-2795006

📌 Some quotes on "memory":

✦ “If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain

✦ “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

✦ “Remember tonight... for it is the beginning of always.”
― Dante

✦ “Your memory is a monster; you forget—it doesn't. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you—and summons them to your recall with will of its own. You think you have a memory; but it has you!”
― John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany

✦ “Remember my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

📌 Idiom Blast No. 5

We can learn all the idioms in the world, but can we commit them to memory? :wink: Here are some very useful common expressions related to that elusive thing called "memory":

• Refresh someone’s memory
• If (my) memory serves me correctly/right/well
• Jog one's memory
• A trip down memory lane
• Bear in mind
• In one ear and out the other
• Have (something) down pat
• Lose one's train of thought
• In one's mind's eye
• Ring a bell
• It slipped my mind
• (Have a) senior moment
• Out of sight, out of mind

Now, while it's still fresh on my mind, the most famous memory song in living memory:

➤ Andrew Lloyd Webber - Memories (Cats) with lyrics

The 2 movies I mentioned above:

➤ Little Fish - Official Trailer | HD | IFC Films

➤ ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004) - Official Trailer

圖檔

Agenda:

3:30 ~ 4:00pm Zoom App testing and setup / Free talk
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 5:10pm Discussion and activities
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Break