(Online) 8/17 (Tue.) Mass Media: truth tellers or troublemakers (Host: thomas)

回覆文章
thomas
YOYO member
文章: 15
註冊時間: 週五 8月 21, 2020 9:27 pm

(Online) 8/17 (Tue.) Mass Media: truth tellers or troublemakers (Host: thomas)

文章 thomas »

“ If you don't read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you do read it, you’re misinformed”
--- Denzel Hayes Washington Jr. ---

This is one of my favorite quotes. It reminds me not to 100% believe the information I received. I usually stand back and keep a distance from the news. To think of any intentions and purpose to write this report, does the reporter wanna show facts or spread hatred to people? Because I believe that we choose information we’re likely to receive, then that information can reshape our thoughts and turn us into what they want us to be. Therefore, we should be more aware of every information we absorb.

To know more about the serious problems of mass media, I would like to share two videos which are talking about problems particularly in Taiwan. I suggest you guys watch that before attending the meeting. Enjoy that!

Session 1

Questions:
1. In general, do you agree that humans are emotional animals? Could you recall any personal experience that your emotions ran over your rational? In terms of news, does any of that drive your emotions? why?

2. If we watch every event in a broader view as in the game which is displayed in the video, we will realize the media are more likely to report those conflicts and intended to lead the public evoking their anger and hatred. Could you share any similar examples around you? What is your strategy to not be misled?

3. Mass media is like our eyes and ears, allowing us to know events happening right now around the world. Otherwise, we will be blind and deaf. Do you think you can distinguish which news is telling the facts and which one is intended to mislead you? How? Please share your examples. If not, please share your limitations. (If you cannot think of any example, you can use Taiwan's vaccine policy as an example to answer questions above.)

Session 2

Questions:
1. The video just showed how serious biases the media are. If someone has a strong political preference, only watching particular mass media which are close to their preference, they will only see good news from the side they support and hatred news from the opposite side. What are your resources obtaining the news? Do the media have biases? How do you balance resources?

2. Taking the incident which happened recently in yoyo line group as an example, when someone makes a strong conclusion whether China will invade Taiwan or not. How will you react? What have you learned from that?

3. In the context of the above we’re talking about , what can you do to improve the situation?

Agenda:
6:50 ~ 6:00 pm Zoom App testing and setup / Free Talk
7:00 ~ 7:10 pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50 pm Discussion and sharing Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:00 pm Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40 pm Discussion and sharing Session (40 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:50 pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:50 ~ 9:00 pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Additional info:
➤ If you don't have Zoom:
Please download, install and test the Zoom App BEFORE the meeting. If you're using it for the first time or having trouble during the testing, please come into the meeting 15 minutes before the meeting time for assistance.
➤ You can choose to turn on your camera or only the audio for the meeting.
➤ To download Zoom: https://zoom.us/download
➤ Please get the Zoom Meeting Link from YoYo Line Group. If you are a newcomer, please contact to yoyo.club.tw@gmail.com
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: (Online) 8/17 (Tue.) Mass Media: truth tellers or troublemakers (Host: thomas)

文章 Rock »

thomas 寫:
週六 8月 14, 2021 11:00 pm

3. In the context of the above we’re talking about , what can you do to improve the situation?
There was this kid in my class. When "反服貿" movement was there on TV, to show her support, she made a poster saying "我國中生,我反服貿" and put it on the wall in the classroom.

I ask her, "What is 服貿? Why are you against 服貿?"

She said, "I don't know what it is and I don't care. I am against it because we young people are just against it."

I asked her to take that poster down. She was not happy. I told her that she could put it on the wall if she went and got what 服貿 was and told me why she was against it. She refused.

Another teacher may have allowed her to have that poster on the wall to save some trouble. I personally believe that we thinkers should have our voices heard, instead of pretending that we didn't hear anything, to get things better.

I was lucky that she was only a kid and she had to do what I said. If it's from an adult, I may have to apologize for offending her freedom. I will apologize all I can, but I still have to do what I need to do.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章