10/12(Tue)Relationship between age & chance of success (Host:Kooper)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

10/12(Tue)Relationship between age & chance of success (Host:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

My dear YOYO friends,

Today I came across this very impressive Ted talks speech and I would like to use it as the topic of my coming hosting. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do and it could trigger some super interesting and fruitful discussions in the meeting. :mrgreen:

Ted talk: The real relationship between your age and your chance of success

Questions for Discussion:
Session One:
1. How did the speaker define performance and success? How are they different?
2. What did the speaker mean when he said that performance is bounded while success is unbounded?
3. In any research on success, the most critical step is to define success so that it becomes measurable. How did the speaker measure the success of a scientist?
4. According to the speaker’s researches, at which stage of academic career would success most likely to come to a scientist? (Hint: depending on what statistics are being reviewed, we might reach two very different conclusions)

Session Two:
1. It is generally believed that performance leads to success. The speaker however highlighted an important factor at play that connects performance to success. What’s that?
2. Do you believe that youth equals creativity? Is it true that creativity vanishes as we age?
3. The speaker mentioned another area, entrepreneurship, as an example to verify if youth equals success, or in other word, creativity. What has he found? How did the speaker define success and productivity of an entrepreneur?
4. Why do people stop trying when they get older?

Bonus Question:
A. Why did Albert Einstein said that the person who has not made his great contributions to science by the age of 30 will never do so?
B. Did you get any insight from the speech that potentially could be life-changing?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50 ~ 7:10pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer's Information
7:10 ~ 7:15pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:15 ~ 7:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:05pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:05 ~ 8:10pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:10 ~ 8:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:50 ~ 9:00pm Summarization and conclusion (10 mins)

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. Participants are recommended to print out the questions for the discussion. Also, the supporting articles, if preferred not to access them via their own mobile phone.
2. Please read the articles and discussion questions provided by the host and write down your thoughts in English in advance.

For Newcomers:
1. Please prepare a two-to-three minute introduction of yourself in English. You may also be asked to give brief feedback at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. The entire meeting is conducted in English. All participants should at least have moderate English conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
3. Newcomers are welcome to attend the meeting and join the discussion up to three times. Formal membership with a lifetime membership fee NT$1000 is required afterward.
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: 10/12(Tue)Relationship between age & chance of success (Host:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

Dear all,
I just put some finishing touches to the questions for discussion. If you've printed them out please be noted that the order of questions have been different. There are also some changes in contents of the questions.

The Ted talk speech that I use for tomorrow's meeting is about success. The speaker is a scientist so he approached the subject in a careful, strict, and academic way. That indeed provides me some useful insight. To begin with, he defined and distinguished the differences between performance and success. He made success measurable and carefully controlled important factors in his research to avoid observational bias and misleading conclusions. That makes his speech a far cry from the ones typically delivered by motivational speakers.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Kooper 寫:
週日 9月 19, 2021 4:04 pm

1. How did the speaker define performance and success? How are they different?
Performance is about me and success is about others. If I were really good but nobody cared, then I were high in performance but low in success.

I urged my better half to join Yoyo, but she said that what I do is high in value but low in productivity, which made me speechless. :cccry:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:
週一 10月 11, 2021 5:05 pm
I urged my better half to join Yoyo, but she said that what I do is high in value but low in productivity, which made me speechless. :cccry:
Dear Rock,

When your significant other said that, did she mean your attempt to persuade her into joining Yoyo or your regular participation in Yoyo meetings? :wink:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Of course I was trying to get her into Yoyo and pay the member fee. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章