12/25(Sat) 'Taiwan SEZ' to replace Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub (Host: Winston)

回覆文章
李昰翰
YOYO member
文章: 49
註冊時間: 週一 12月 17, 2018 8:37 pm

12/25(Sat) 'Taiwan SEZ' to replace Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub (Host: Winston)

文章 李昰翰 »

'Taiwan SEZ' to replace Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub

Dear fellow Yoyoers,
Over the long river of history, political circumstances always play an influential strength to reshape places where it used to be. Shanghai had become one of the earlier cities in China setting out for westernization, and in 1940s the city was transformed into as the financial capital of Asia. Yet, in the wake of the turbulence of China civil war, an emerging unstable political trend then gradually eroded the city’s status, and especially in 1949 the chaotic war led to a mass of refugees from Shanghai to southern China among whom talented and wealthy people were relocated for their residence to Hong Kong as an essential historical opportunity, the shifting talents and capitals decisively shaping the shining oriental pearl, Hong Kong, the Asia’s financial hub since then.
The turmoil of unstable political circumstances in recent years of Hong Kong transforming an uncertain future for the city, the ongoing outflow of talents and capitals from Hong Kong might replay backward again the scenario of transforming a new oriental pearl. Who could be the lucky one? If you have limited time, you might choose to read article one only. That's OK for meeting discussion. Or, you might taste "full cuisine of Christmas big meal" prepared. Let’s explore this trend at coming meeting on Christmas day. Merry Christmas!!

Article:
1.https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4298693 (the idea of TSEZ)
2.https://www.investopedia.com/why-hong-k ... ub-4690553 (investment perspective)
3.https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019 ... hong-kong/ (history perspective)
4.https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019 ... aipei.html (Can Taipei become the lucky one)
5.https://www.esunsec.com.tw/foreign-stoc ... ro/hk.aspx (marketplace)

Film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHm5YBDp2oE&t=14s

SESSION ONE QUESTIONS:
1.What are the circumstance factors making Hong Kong fading away from its throne as Asia’s financial hub it used to be? Can you identify any events, or political, economy, geopolitical issues gradually putting Hong Kong into a cage?

2.A massive brain drain is underway — more than 89,000 people, or 1.2% of Hong Kong's population, have left over the last 12 months, and the U.K. government is expecting at least another 200,000 émigrés under its BNO visa scheme over the next five years. What do these figures mean to you, if you were people in Hong Kong, any implication to life?

3.If you were the owner of a financial conglomerate in Taiwan, will you seek any investment opportunities likely coming from turmoil in Hong Kong? What can you do?

4.What does China gain or lose over imposing more and more restrictions on Hong Kong?

SESSION TWO QUESTIONS:
5.Do you think building up a new version of SEZ in Taiwan is likely to construct a new Asia financial hub toward replacing Hong Kong. What are the strength and weakness respectively for Taiwan to make it come true?

6.The most important trump card for Hong Kong is something no other city can quite match. China still needs it — both as its gateway to the world, and as a bolthole for wealthy mainlanders to stash their wealth. Do you recognize such functioning for the "trump card" Kong Kong owned unrivaled value?

7.Can Taiwan have a better chance than Singapore to replace Hong Kong as a new Asia financial hub? Why or why not? If you were an international financial investor, will you choose Taiwan or Singapore?

8.Based on atom view for implication to people in Taiwan, if Taiwan successfully replaces Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub, what can we benefit from this enormous framework transforming? Any changing or influence to our life?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
最後由 李昰翰 於 週六 12月 25, 2021 9:29 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
李昰翰
YOYO member

Re: 12/25(Sat) 'Taiwan SEZ' to replace Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub (Host: Winston)

文章 李昰翰 »

Merry Christmas!
最後由 李昰翰 於 週二 12月 21, 2021 8:03 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 12/25(Sat) 'Taiwan SEZ' to replace Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub (Host: Winston)

文章 Kooper »

If I just read the first reference article, I would think now is a good opportunity for Taiwan to replace Hong Kong as a new Asian financial hub. After doing more study, I however came to the opposite conclusion.

Aiming to become a regional financial center, Taiwan started approving the setup of offshore banking unit (OBU) in 1984. Since then more than three decades have passed, these OBU are still largely servicing Taiwanese companies who have business or operation in China. They are a far cry from true offshore financial centers like Hong Kong and Singapore.

It was not without reason that Taiwan’s multiple attempts to become a financial center didn’t pan out. Even today, Taiwan is still considered neither financially competitive nor attractive to international financial institutions. To top it all, little evidence supports that Taiwanese government have the determination to turn the tables. It might sound harsh, but the idea for Taiwan to become next Asian financial center is a non-starter. :?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Hong Kong is financially important because of China. Whoever wants to replace Hong Kong needs to have their own China. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
李昰翰
YOYO member

文章 李昰翰 »

Kooper 寫:
週五 12月 24, 2021 10:53 pm
If I just read the first reference article, I would think now is a good opportunity for Taiwan to replace Hong Kong as a new Asian financial hub. After doing more study, I however came to the opposite conclusion.

Aiming to become a regional financial center, Taiwan started approving the setup of offshore banking unit (OBU) in 1984. Since then more than three decades have passed, these OBU are still largely servicing Taiwanese companies who have business or operation in China. They are a far cry from true offshore financial centers like Hong Kong and Singapore.

It was not without reason that Taiwan’s multiple attempts to become a financial center didn’t pan out. Even today, Taiwan is still considered neither financially competitive nor attractive to international financial institutions. To top it all, little evidence supports that Taiwanese government have the determination to turn the tables. It might sound harsh, but the idea for Taiwan to become next Asian financial center is a non-starter. :?

Hi, Kooper, it is always great to challenge the ideas written in the article, so that independent thinking can be built our own. Political chaotic scenes appeared and took headlines on media so often in recent years which have likely planted into the background knowledge for majority of people. For participants who read the first article only, it’ll rely on their own opinions associated with the background knowledge to comment on the ideas proposed in the article one. For more studies on more articles viewed from different perspectives, the answers could be different.

Government in Taiwan is so passive making policy to catch this trend and opportunity, working out a strategy to replace Hong Kong as Asia’s financial hub. An OBU is for sure insufficient to replace Hong Kong, what else should Taiwan do, if Taiwan is ambitious to construct itself as Asia’s financial hub? What can Taiwanese benefit from such great efforts, if Taiwan government really works on it? Or, it is just not a good cuisine matching up Taiwan’s favor. We’ll leave the answers addressed by the attendees today.
李昰翰
YOYO member

文章 李昰翰 »

Rock 寫:
週六 12月 25, 2021 5:12 am
Hong Kong is financially important because of China. Whoever wants to replace Hong Kong needs to have their own China. :lol:
Hi, Rock, both Taiwan and Singapore own language proficiency in Chinese, and get well acquainted with Chinese culture. That’s one of the key advantages to play a financial broker role as gateway to giant China market. Whoever wants to replace Hong Kong needs to have their own China. Does that mean countries without Chinese and culture backgrounds will gain less opportunities functioning as China’s banker, a passage or corridor for inbound and outbound investment to the world? Who could be competent playing such role?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

李昰翰 寫:
週六 12月 25, 2021 9:13 am

That’s one of the key advantages to play a financial broker role as gateway to giant China market.
Exactly. And no country has its own China except Hong Kong. There's no way to do this without China as a partner. The author mentioned about democracy and freedom and human capital, which Taiwan seems to have. But he didn't talk about the ongoing political conflicts and disagreement between Taiwan and China, and that, is ridiculous to me.

Taiwan, if it can ever take the place of Hong Kong, will always need to take China into consideration. Who is the boss in this economy system? What is the defining factor? Freedom and democracy? I'm afraid not.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
李昰翰
YOYO member

文章 李昰翰 »

Rock 寫:
週六 12月 25, 2021 11:04 am
李昰翰 寫:

That’s one of the key advantages to play a financial broker role as gateway to giant China market.
Exactly. And no country has its own China except Hong Kong. There's no way to do this without China as a partner. The author mentioned about democracy and freedom and human capital, which Taiwan seems to have. But he didn't talk about the ongoing political conflicts and disagreement between Taiwan and China, and that, is ridiculous to me.

Taiwan, if it can ever take the place of Hong Kong, will always need to take China into consideration. Who is the boss in this economy system? What is the defining factor? Freedom and democracy? I'm afraid not.
I believe so. Due to political factors, the target investors, investing entities, financial brokers will be restricted to those from foreign countries attempting investment in China, who are concerned about security issue only. For those players from China will still rely on China's attitude, making difficult to form a complete market if without China nods down. Thank you for your good viewpoints...
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

李昰翰 寫:
週日 12月 26, 2021 7:30 am
Rock 寫:
李昰翰 寫:

I believe so. Due to political factors, the target investors, investing entities, financial brokers will be restricted to those from foreign countries attempting investment in China, who are concerned about security issue only. For those players from China will still rely on China's attitude, making difficult to form a complete market if without China nods down. Thank you for your good viewpoints...
the so-called "political factors" will only be politicians concern. being a financial hub in Asia pacific, the point is the markets of CHINA. WHAT deals will you broker if it's without China markets?? but then, if you wanna indulge in conflicts with China and still wanna enjoy the markets at the same time, that's ridiculous i would say.
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
李昰翰
YOYO member

文章 李昰翰 »

Luis Ko 寫:
週四 12月 30, 2021 1:39 pm
李昰翰 寫:
週日 12月 26, 2021 7:30 am
Rock 寫:

the so-called "political factors" will only be politicians concern. being a financial hub in Asia pacific, the point is the markets of CHINA. WHAT deals will you broker if it's without China markets?? but then, if you wanna indulge in conflicts with China and still wanna enjoy the markets at the same time, that's ridiculous i would say.
Political issues corresponding to economic cooperation are intricate and paradox actually. That’s why Taiwan government is so passive working on catching this trend.
回覆文章