12/11 (Sat.) Playground/Life Facts (Host: Gloria)

回覆文章
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

12/11 (Sat.) Playground/Life Facts (Host: Gloria)

文章 Gloria Lo »

:P :P

Taipei City Government installed timers for playground swings in Oct., 2021. Some people think it can reduce playground bullying while others think it seems unnecessary. This news made me think of my childhood experiences. Playground is a miniature society. It also reflects some life realities. I sincerely invite you to join the meeting and have some discussions on this topic.

Session 1
Taipei’s scheme to introduce timers on playground swings flops
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4319417

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of setting timers on swings?
2. Is it a good policy? Why or why not? (Please try to discuss it from children’s and parents’ viewpoints)
3. What playground incidents impressed you a lot? Any unforgettable memories?
4. What did you learn in the playground? What fact of life is reflected in the playground?

Session 2

5 Everyday Facts About Life That Are Unfair (Which We Need to Accept)
https://www.jumpstartyourdreamlife.com/ ... re-unfair/

1. Is fairness a useful concept? Why or why not?
2. Do you agree with the following 5 descriptions? Please give reasons and examples.
2a. Some people naturally have greater strengths than others.
2b. Phenomenal success is largely a result of luck.
2c. The environment you’re in dictates your major life decisions.
2d. People are much more likely to help, work, and interact with people they know.
2e. You’re rewarded based on the end results, not your efforts.
3. What are other truths of life you want to share?
4. How do you deal with or get through the unfairness of life?

More references ( They are not necessary to read….)

*Life Lessons Learned on the Playground
https://coyotehill.org/blog/playground-lessons/
One at a time.
Life isn’t fair.
Wait your turn.
Never hesitate to make a new friend.
What goes up, must come down.

*Life Lessons You Can Only Learn Playing On the Playground
https://playworld.com/blog/life-lessons ... layground/

Thinking outside the box.
Free play means less structure, so children have to cooperate more.
Leadership development.
Greater creativity.
An outlet for energy.
Allow children to move away from sedentary activities.
independence.
Improve cognitive function.
Work to reduce bullying.
Improve responsibility.

*The only thing that makes life unfair is the delusion that it should be fair.
~ Dr. Steve Maraboli

*Why You Should Choose to Get Past the Unfairness of Life
1. Fair is not a useful concept.
2. Viewing yourself as a victim tends to keep you in the past and promotes a sense of powerlessness.
3. Negative thoughts and emotions inhibit positive change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
carmelo0183
YOYO member
文章: 9
註冊時間: 週一 8月 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Re: 12/11 (Sat.) Playground/Life Facts (Host: Gloria)

文章 carmelo0183 »

Per Gloria's request. I am gonna leave the my humble opinion right here.
I actually do not agree with the point of phenomenal success is largely a result of luck. For those who has great success in their life. They must put in a lot of hardwork. They don't just work hard,but also work smart. Make sure all of their efforts are going right direction. Once it combines with certain degree of luck. BOOM! It becomes the successful achievement and the noble social status what they have right now.

There is a song perfectly explains the scenario like this. Which is Remember The Name by Fort Minor. The following is part of the lyrics.

"This is 10 percent luck
20 percent skill
15 percent concentrated power of will
5 percent pleasure
50 percent pain
And a 100 percent reason to remember the name!"

It indicates that you want to be somebody,want to have hugh success in the life. Luck is actually not the main defining factor.(This is 10 percent luck,20 percent skill,15 percent concentrated power of will.) But at the same time you are gonna suffer much(5 percent pleasure,50 percent pain.) But in the end,you would have your signature leave on the page of histroy of mankind!(And a 100 percent reason to remember the name!)

Link of the song "Remember The Name" :
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

I originally planned to reply to Carmelo's post as soon as possible because I like it very much. Yet, I was delayed by something unexpected--------feel sorry for that----- :mrgreen:

To some degree, I am with him. Hard working and pain suffering… are necessary to success though it's highly unpredictable whether good luck comes or not. However, working smart might make the chance bigger.

Speaking of my experience, working smart has always been something I lack. Usually, it is my habit to work hard, solving all kinds of problems in my job without deep thinking. Fortunately, it seems that God of luck takes good care of me these years. haha (Of course, I feel so grateful for that.) :drink:
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Per Gloria’s request, this is the summary of my presentation on “Life Is Unfair”:

The truths of life are:
-- there is always someone who knows nothing, and he is your boss,
-- there is someone who has never worked a day in her life, but she married a billionaire, and she happens to be your cousin, and
-- there are bunch of “toxic, rotten people” who spoke ill of you, and they get ahead in promotion!
Life is so unfair!!!

Sometimes, our idea of righteousness and fair play is quite self-serving and self-interest. Human beings have our innate sense of right and wrong, and we expect the world to comply with our own moral code.

In reality, society judges people by what they do and the value they provide to others, and that’s not how we judge ourselves. We often judge ourselves by our thoughts and there is discrepancy between what we think we are and what value we offer to the society. Our perception of fairness can be quite distorted and way off the mark.

Like it or not, life is a competition and competition is inescapable for all of us. Everything in demand will have competition. Fortunately, the stage of our life has many aspects and is full of opportunities. We can strengthen our will power and sharpen our skills and choose what to compete. Life is not, and won't be fair, but the opportunities will be available for those who are willing to fight for it.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Many people follow this formula of happiness-- if you work harder, then you will be more successful, and if you are more successful, then you will be happier. But we all know it's bullshit at tmes. Sometimes happiness doesn't follow this formula, especially when you are having higher and higher goalposts about "success". When will you ever get the ultimate success you want which makes you happy forever? :?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Iris' response reflects her self-cultivation and unrivaled experiences.
There are often differences between personal perceptions and social recognition. Even so, we can still define our own lives by deciding what to compete for and how to measure the results. :D
回覆文章