12/18 (SAT) Optimize your brain (Christine H)

回覆文章
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 199
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

12/18 (SAT) Optimize your brain (Christine H)

文章 Christine »

Hi Guys,

It was quite amazing to first noticed the story about Jim KWIK. I hope to share this topic with you would bring you something good.

Session One
How to optimize your brain – by Jim KWIK

Jim KWIK’s story:
https://www.getstoryshots.com/books/limitless-summary/ Feel free to check the Youtube links above with the content related to Jim-Kwik if you have time.

Jim Kwik is a world-renowned expert in speed-reading, memory improvement, brain performance and accelerated learning. After a childhood brain injury, Kwik created strategies to dramatically improve his mental performance to overcome the impacts of his brain injury. Now he teaches others how to improve their mental performance. His clients range from students to world-leading CEOs and celebrities. He also provides training for top organizations like Google, Virgin, SpaceX and Harvard University.

Introduction
Limitless covers the story of how Jim Kwik taught himself to learn again after he hit his head and suffered a brain injury. Following in his classmates’ footsteps, 5-year-old Kwik had stood on a chair to get a better view of fire engines that were parked outside his school when someone began pulling on his chair. This caused him to fall and land head-first on a radiator. After this injury, he found it hard to memorize basic facts. It took him three years longer to learn to read than his peers. But today, Kwik can recall the names of fifty or more people in an audience that he’s just met. He can also recite a string of one hundred random numbers, forward and back, while onstage. Kwik has gone from never reading a book before the age of 16 to reading a book every week for the last thirty years. At the heart of Kwik’s mental transformation is a simple truth: We all can mold our brains and continuously improve our mental abilities. If you’re struggling to learn, it’s not due to an innate brain limitation. Your struggles with learning are due to either a limited mindset, limited motivation, or a lousy learning method.

Questions for discussion in Session One:
1. Have you thought about that your brain can be optimized?
2. Is there any difference on your learning skills now and before? Would you like to learn anything fast? Is there anything/subject you’d like to learn but feel very difficult? Would the correct ways of learning help you learn better?
3. Are you learning or planning to learn anything new this year or lately? If so, please share with us about it.
4. Would with positive self-suggestion help you to perform better than without?

Session Two: Utilize your time effectively in commute
https://www.classycareergirl.com/commut ... ductively/

According to the article, there are 7 ways to use your long commute time productively.
A. LOOK INTO CARPOOLING OR USING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
B. USE THE TIME TO SORT OUT YOUR THOUGHTS
C. PLAN THE DAY AHEAD
D. LISTEN TO SELF-IMPROVEMENT PODCASTS AND AUDIOBOOKS
E. PREPLAN THE PHONE CALLS THAT YOU CAN MAKE DURING YOUR COMMUTE
F. SCHEDULE AN ONLINE COURSE
G. LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE

5. What do you usually do when you commute to work?
6. There are some Youtube videos I've watched and found interesting to share with you.
A. B.
- Are these videos helpful for your English learning? Is the information provided interesting or helpful for you
besides English learning?

- Could you share a Youtube video which you found interesting (English version) for life or good for English
learning?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 12/18 (SAT) Optimize your brain (Christine H)

文章 Kooper »

Oscillating between two extremes, I am either highly productive or not productive at all during commuting. It takes me more than one hour commuting to and from the office by public transportation. That’s loads of time, isn’t it? And I am supposed to make better use of it. My choice however all comes down to my mind and body conditions of that day.

When I feel fresh and energetic, I’d open a flashcard app and try to memorize some English idioms or attempt to catch up with some online articles that I’ve subscribed. If, on the contrary, I have been beat for whatever reason and has very little, if any, willpower left, I would either browse the Internet or social media mindlessly or simply shut off my brain and get some rest. I learnt a valuable lesson that these chill-out moments sometimes are crucial to mental health.
回覆文章