1/25 (Tue.) Steve Job's 3 life stories (Host: Rock)

回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

1/25 (Tue.) Steve Job's 3 life stories (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Sorry, guys, I deleted the topic I posted last time because it's boring. This one is better; It's guaranteed by CNN and a super famous guy. But it could still be not good without your help, so please try to read or watch Steve Jobs speech to know more about it. Here we go. 8)

1. Why Steve Jobs' 2005 commencement speech is the most watched in history
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/07/worl ... index.html

2. Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address

Session One
1. What is his first story for? Why does he want to tell people that there are dots that would connect by themselves when you look backwards? Do you find it inspiring? What are your dots and how they connect?
2. Which class did you like the best when you were in school? What good things did you have later on because of this class? Are there dots connected?
3. Is your work great work? Do you love what you do? If not, are you still looking or have you already given up? Why? And what do you feel about it?

Session Two
4. Do you remind yourself that you will die soon and try to follow your heart? Are you trapped in dogma, which is the result of someone else's thinking, or are you already free?
5. What does Jobs see death as? What is your idea of death? Can death serve you as a tool, too?
6. What is the greatest lesson you learn from it? If you want to share people a quote from this speech, what would it be?

******************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:15 ~ 8:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:00 ~ 9:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:20 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 1/25 (Tue.) Steve Job's 3 life stories (Host: Rock)

文章 Iris Wu »

I got sidetracked while researching Steve Jobs’ final speeches. I did not realize that he connected to his biological sister in his mid-20’s and he kept the close relationship with her till the end of his life. The eulogy for Steve Jobs from his sister was so well-written, full of touching and heartfelt stories. If you are free to do more reading:

A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opin ... jobs.html

As for Q6, my favorite statements in this speech:
"Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away."
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

I guess I am a bit cynical and I just got a sudden whim to play the devil's advocate.

Recently I read a book “Thinking, fast and slow”. The inspirational quote “follow your heart”, according to the book, relates to a lazy system 2. Many people are overconfident, prone to place too much faith in their intuitions. It is true that optimistic and self-confident people tend to be resilient in adapting to failures and hardships, and their experiences of success have confirmed their faith in their judgment and in their ability to control events. However, they are also likely to take more risks than they realize.

For those who are talented and lucky enough to get to where they want to be, their success may put them in the limelight, and people fall over themselves to read their autobiographies and to listen to their commencement speeches for their secrets of success. On the other hand, out of the spotlight there are numerous defeated competitors who are as talented and as resilient but unluckily get trounced and can never make a comeback in the end. In my opinion, we need to consider survivorship bias and be cautious with those advices from the winners.

(I hope someone can beat this viewpoint and leave me speechless :o :shock: :? )
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Iris Wu 寫:
週日 1月 23, 2022 9:47 pm
I got sidetracked while researching Steve Jobs’ final speeches. I did not realize that he connected to his biological sister in his mid-20’s and he kept the close relationship with her till the end of his life. The eulogy for Steve Jobs from his sister was so well-written, full of touching and heartfelt stories. If you are free to do more reading:

A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opin ... jobs.html
Too bad I have reached my limit of free articles in this website. I need to pay $0.25 to read this article :cccry:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I am not a subscriber of NY Times, so I read it here.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... riadoption

This is the first time I read an eulogy. I thought it would be something formal, but it turned out to be casual and personal, like a family letter. It's interesting to know Steve Job's final words, too. :lol:

But, what does it mean anyway?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Sherry Liao 寫:
週二 1月 25, 2022 11:44 am
(I hope someone can beat this viewpoint and leave me speechless :o :shock: :? )
I can try. I've been possessed by Jobs. If he can beat it, so can I. 8)
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Talent and resilience are hard to measure. I am not sure how to tell someone is as tenant and resilient as someone else. Besides, the environment, timing, and background for each person are hardly the same. Success could be the result of pure serendipity. I think we are “wise enough” not to take any advice at face value, including this new one, “the advice from the unsuccessful competitors may well be as good as the one from a visionary leader”.

I think the point is not so much about the attitude towards these speeches. It’s more on what exactly the contents in the speech we want to challenge or how to apply if we decide to adopt some of the ideas.

Connecting the dots is actually quite tricky. Human mind cannot live peacefully until we make up a story out of disconnected dots around it. Listening to the stock market analysis, you know how good human mind can revamp stories out of completely disconnected events. I think more people connected the “wrong” dots than people did the right dots. I had a terrible experience in a management position in early my career and it led me to avoid the managerial career path. I am not sure if I connected the right dots or wrong dots, or if it even matters. 😊
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Many thanks to Iris for this. 8)

This is the list of attendees last time:

Jessica, Jeff, Ramesh, Tashi,
Ryan, Steve, Iris, Carmelo, Chris, Jerry, Shirley, Mandy, Rock(Host)

Speakers:
Session1: Sherry, Ryan, Carmelo
Session2: Shirley, Tashi, Iris

Thank you very much for coming. See you next time lo.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

6. What is the greatest lesson you learn from it? If you want to share people a quote from this speech, what would it be?

"You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers."

That's my favorite one, and the lesson is, in hindsight, my life sucks because I haven't. :ccry:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章