2/8 (Tue.) Why do people buy brands? (Host: Sherry)

Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

2/8 (Tue.) Why do people buy brands? (Host: Sherry)

文章 Sherry Liao »

The Only Difference Between Brand Names And Generic Groceries Is The Mental Block
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-onl ... ock-2012-7
Brand Preference: Name Brand vs. Generic
https://www.disqo.com/2019/09/24/brand- ... s-generic/
The Psychology Behind Why People Buy Luxury Goods
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/p ... -goods.asp
Less Is More: Redefining the Luxury Goods Market
https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/art ... ds-market/

Questions for Discussion:
Session I
Q1. In your opinion, is there any difference between name brand and cheap brand/local brand/unbranded products (or store brand like Walmart, Carrefour, etc.)? For the following items, do you mind choose the latter? Why?
a. Name brand vs. cheap brand/local brand/unbranded products for food
b. Name brand vs. cheap brand/local brand/unbranded products for clothes
c. Name brand vs. generic medicine
Q2. Can cheap brand/local brand/unbranded products have the same quality as name brand products? If so, why do people pay more for name brand products instead of cheap brand/local brand/unbranded products?
Q3. What consumer items would you be willing to pay more for than a cheaper alternative? Besides price, what are the main factors that influence your purchasing decisions?
Q4. Do consumers prefer brands with images that are consistent with their self-image and social identity? Can you choose a brand that is consistent with how you see yourself?

Session II
Q1. Do you buy luxury-brand products? If so, what luxury products do you buy and what are the reasons for that?
Q2. Would you consider buying and wearing a well-made fake Rolex or Birkin bag that has the same functionality, quality and durability, looks the same, but at 1/10 or 1/100 the price of the genuine one? On the other hand, in a world full of “super fakes” or AAA fakes, do you think it is worth buying expensive luxury goods and luxury brands? Why or why not?
Q3. Do you agree that the behavior of consumption and display of items that you own indicate your economic status, social status, aesthetic and taste? In addition to functional utilities, what are your purposes of consumption?
Q4.What defines a person with "good taste"? How can people tell that someone has good tastes?
Q5. Should the government impose higher taxes on luxury goods?

Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:45pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
7:45 ~ 8:00pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:05 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $85)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
最後由 Sherry Liao 於 週二 2月 08, 2022 1:59 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 5 次。
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

Re: 2/8 (Tue.) Why do people buy brands? (Host: Sherry)

文章 CarmenTao »

Just finished reading all these articles. Can't wait to join the discussion. :ssmile:
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

CarmenTao 寫:
週六 2月 05, 2022 10:29 pm
Just finished reading all these articles. Can't wait to join the discussion. :ssmile:
Hi Carmen:
It's great that you are coming to the meeting!
So much to catch up! See you Tuesday!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Before I read the articles, I wanna answer the question of this topic by common sense.

Why do people buy brands? People want to let other people know they can afford them( which means to show off they are rich) or show they have taste. ( which means to show they are superior to other ordinary people) ( Good brands usually mean good product quality and durability, but I think this does not belong to psychological reason)

So, why do people like to "show off" their wealth or taste? Is it because our human nature enjoys ourselves to be different from or, should I say, to be superior to other people? If yes, why? I don't know. Is it because it is animal instinct? From the perspective of animal evolution, why?

After I read the articles, I may make comment again.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Hi everyone, I just added some questions for the second session and slightly modified questions for the first session. Sorry to do this so late. During this 7-day vacation I was on energy-saving mode and busy converting oxygen to carbon dioxide. :cccry:
最後由 Sherry Liao 於 週日 2月 06, 2022 4:41 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

CarmenTao 寫:
Wow, Carmen! Can't believe you showed up! :o
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Michael-liu 寫:
週日 2月 06, 2022 12:14 am
Before I read the articles, I wanna answer the question of this topic by common sense.

Why do people buy brands? People want to let other people know they can afford them( which means to show off they are rich) or show they have taste. ( which means to show they are superior to other ordinary people) ( Good brands usually mean good product quality and durability, but I think this does not belong to psychological reason)

So, why do people like to "show off" their wealth or taste? Is it because our human nature enjoys ourselves to be different from or, should I say, to be superior to other people? If yes, why? I don't know. Is it because it is animal instinct? From the perspective of animal evolution, why?

After I read the articles, I may make comment again.
Thanks for your comments, Michael! I tried to make the discussion questions neutral and less theoretic, but it's obvious that I cannot handle this topic. :cccry: After reading your comments, I added one question to session II:

Q3. What defines a person with "good taste"? How can people tell that someone has good tastes?

Hope to learn from what you guys have to say on this topic.
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member

文章 CarmenTao »

Iris Wu 寫:
週六 2月 05, 2022 11:01 pm
CarmenTao 寫:
Hi Carmen:
It's great that you are coming to the meeting!
So much to catch up! See you Tuesday!
I joined two online meetings last year.
Really miss the old times and will attend the meetings more often.
Thanks for always being there, Yoyos. :ssmile: :ssmile:
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member

文章 CarmenTao »

Sherry Liao 寫:
週日 2月 06, 2022 4:34 pm
CarmenTao 寫:
Wow, Carmen! Can't believe you showed up! :o
I'm so lucky to join the meeting you host as my first one in the year of Tiger. :ssmile: :ssmile:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

The decision to get a generic or a brand-name product is on a case-by-case basis for me, and my guiding principle is practicality and performance.
For things I can easily tell their quality and functionality (between generic and brand-name goods), cost-effectiveness is the only decision factor. For those items that I cannot tell their differences in quality, then, the brand trust comes into play.

As for luxury products, such as high-end automobiles, and accessories (clothing, jewelry, watches, etc.), the appeal of luxury is probably quite psychological. For some reason it seems I am somewhat immune from this kind of "emotional and psychological fallout". :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

As I see, 99.9 % of the products on the market in Taiwan are brand name products. Even 無印良品 is a brand. Some brands actually tell people that they are cheap products with decent quality, and their business is good. The brand name serves as a promise. It doesn't have to be something luxurious, nothing about showing off, either. Ask Kooper about his Hangten and you know it. :lol:

BTW, I bought the same T-shirt when I saw Kooper looked so good in it. But for some unknown reason it didn't help me at all. cry...
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Rock 寫:
週一 2月 07, 2022 9:20 am
As I see, 99.9 % of the products on the market in Taiwan are brand name products. Even 無印良品 is a brand. Some brands actually tell people that they are cheap products with decent quality, and their business is good. The brand name serves as a promise. It doesn't have to be something luxurious, nothing about showing off, either. Ask Kooper about his Hangten and you know it. :lol:

BTW, I bought the same T-shirt when I saw Kooper looked so good in it. But for some unknown reason it didn't help me at all. cry...
You are right, most of products we buy have brands. So, my comment should be about “Why do people buy luxurious brands?" Then is it related to "showing off"? What is your take?
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

It seems the meaning of brand-name products got messed up.
How do you translate this term, brand-name products, into Chinese? 有品牌的 or 名牌產品?

Brand-name products are not necessarily luxury ones. IKEA is a brand name, but hardly people think it's a luxury store. Luxury goods normally are associated with a brand name, but brand-name products don't have to be luxury items.

The term or the concept, generic vs. brand-name items, is mostly used in drugs, maybe it's because a new drug started with patent protection, slowly the patent expired, other pharmaceutical companies or drug stores can make similar medications with generic brands. The phenomenon is expanded into grocery retail stores and the footwear industry. They are not necessarily luxury stuff. We buy brand-name drugs or food products, sometimes it's because of trust, but is this kind of "trust" a mental block? That would be good to explore in the meeting.
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

I thought generic products were thoese with the brand of the grocery store itself, such as 家樂福自有品牌
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear Iris, Rock, and Michael,

Thanks for your responses. After reading your comments on this topic, I am starting to suspect that I may be the only exception in this club who buy a lot of unbranded clothes. >///<

One of my favorite pastimes is visiting some social networking sites and reading the younger generation’s discussion on current hot topics. Through these, I also get some information about certain types of dresses in Shopee and other online stores from time to time. Most of the products, I believe, are from Taobao or other platforms in China or Korea, and almost all of them are unbranded, or have local brand names that no one has heard of.

Shopping at these online stores is so much fun. But that’s the main reason I am bringing up this topic – it seems my neighbors in the office couldn’t stand it. For years, they have been recommending clothing brands they think fit me better, and it’s gotten a bit worse recently. I have been thinking seriously these past few weeks whether I should dress in a way that I don’t really like, but to socialize with others. This is another issue I also hope to be explored in the meeting.
回覆文章