3/5 (Sat.) Learning a language? Speak it like you’re playing a video game

回覆文章
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

3/5 (Sat.) Learning a language? Speak it like you’re playing a video game

文章 janet12tw »

Hi This is Janet. I am the host for next Saturday's meeting.
I believe people who come to Yoyo want to improve our English.
So I watched a TED talk video about an American teaches people how to learn English in Malaysia in an interesting way.
Here is the video clip as below:
Also, in the session II, I want to play a game with you by using some of the most common English idioms and phrases I looked up from the internet in the link as below. You could play charades, draw a picture or explain the idiom you draw without using the words in the idioms & let the audiences guess what idiom it is.
Hope you could join the meeting & have fun with us !

https://englishlive.ef.com/blog/languag ... d-phrases/

圖檔

Questions:

Session I:
1. Do you agree with what the speaker says "When speaking English, we should speak it like playing a computer game instead of like playing a piano carefully"? Why or why not?
2.Which way is the most effective way for you to learn English? Please share it with your group.
3. For people who is a polyglot (可說多國語言的人, I think it includes people who speak Taiwanese, Hakka & etc), how do you think they achieve to become a polyglot? Could we apply some of the skills when we are learning English?

Session II:
1. We will guess some of the idioms or phrases in the link as below by playing a game.
I will call some people to be on the stage.
The people who are on stage could play charades, draw a picture or explain the meaning of the phrase without using a word in the phrase.

https://englishlive.ef.com/blog/languag ... d-phrases/

2. Do you like this game? What other games do you know could be used for learning English?

3. How do you think learning a language could change your life?
Have you learned other languages before or are you currently learning another language now?
Why do you want to learn English or another language?
What do you want to achieve by learning these languages?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Reference Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

Re: 3/5 (Sat.) Learning a language? Speak it like you’re playing a video game

文章 stephen185 »

I totally agree that we should be like playing a computer game when speaking English, with no shyness or fear of being judged. Many years ago, my mother and I traveled to New Zealand. Upon arrival at Auckland Airport, we found that our luggage could not be found at the designated baggage carousel. After spending half an hour checking out several carousels nearby, we still failed to locate our luggage. So my mom and I went to the baggage service office to ask for help. At the office, when I was still wondering how to express the situation we encountered in English, my mom had already started talking to the service agent using her very limited vocabulary learned in junior high school, with vivid body language. It was amazing that the clerk she talked to understood perfectly what my mom was saying, even the quantity and the sizes of our bags. He then gave us a form to declare for the lost luggage and told us how to fill it out. You should see the look on my mom's face at that time ...
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

stephen185 寫:
週四 3月 03, 2022 11:55 pm
I totally agree that we should be like playing a computer game when speaking English, with no shyness or fear of being judged. Many years ago, my mother and I traveled to New Zealand. Upon arrival at Auckland Airport, we found that our luggage could not be found at the designated baggage carousel. After spending half an hour checking out several carousels nearby, we still failed to locate our luggage. So my mom and I went to the baggage service office to ask for help. At the office, when I was still wondering how to express the situation we encountered in English, my mom had already started talking to the service agent using her very limited vocabulary learned in junior high school, with vivid body language. It was amazing that the clerk she talked to understood perfectly what my mom was saying, even the quantity and the sizes of our bags. He then gave us a form to declare for the lost luggage and told us how to fill it out. You should see the look on my mom's face at that time ...
Actually, I wanna see your face at that time. It must be equally interesting... :wink:
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Interesting story. Your mom was so brave.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

To some degree, we’ve all known that English is just a tool to get messages across and obtain the result we want. That’s almost a cliché now. The problem simply comes down to how much we truly live by it.

Fear is a natural response when we’re put in the hot seat. By and large nobody wants to look stupid in public and that’s the source of our fears. In a real conversation or discussion in English, we always need to remind ourselves not to pay too much attention to the correctness of the language we use but to the effectiveness of the communication. When we focus on getting the desired result, fear will take a back seat and things will pan out by itself.

The problem could go beyond using a language that’s not our mother tongue. Imagine that in a meeting where you cannot get your head around a topic under discussion, either because of an unfamiliar jargon, acronym, or because of the lack of some background information, what would you do? Sometimes we choose to stay quiet for the fear of asking a stupid question or showing that we’re a bit out of touch. The choice makes us stay lost all the way through the discussion. That’s totally a waste of time and unproductive.
回覆文章