6/18(Sat.) How to Create Your Own Luck?(Host: Sunny sr.)

回覆文章
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

6/18(Sat.) How to Create Your Own Luck?(Host: Sunny sr.)

文章 sunny »

Everyone wants more luck, but how to do it?

None of us are lucky all of the time, but there's no doubt that some people tend to be luckier than others. You might take a look at how they look at life and ask yourself whether it's the way they see the world that is helping them get luckier in it.

I find some reference as below, please check it out!

Reading Material 1:
[Abstract]
Luck is often created by other people helping us out. Sociologists have found that “weak ties” usually can do the most for you.

It’s very interesting that people who cross over in different categories, in different social classes, in different economic classes tend to bring more luck to others.

Reading Material 2: [Abstract]
3 Traits of opportunity makers
-Opportunity makers keep honing their key strength.
-They become pattern seekers. They deal with people outside their normal circle to find wider patterns.
-Communicate to connect.

Reading Material 3:
https://time.com/12670/8-things-the-wor ... in-common/
[Abstract]
1. Lucky people create, notice, and act upon the chance opportunities in their lives.
- People who are extroverted: More time with others, more interesting possibilities.
- People who aren’t neurotic: Tense, anxious people are less likely to notice and take advantage of opportunities.
- People who are open to new experiences: If you resist the new, you’re probably not going to have many interesting things happen.

2. Lucky people make successful decisions by using their intuition and gut feeling.
- 90 percent of lucky people said that they trusted their intuition when it came to personal relationships
- 20 percent more lucky people used their intuition when it came to making important financial decisions
- 20 percent more lucky people used their intuition when thinking about their career choices

3. Lucky people have “grit.”

4. Believe you’re lucky and you’re more likely to actually be lucky.

5. Lucky people see the positive side of their bad luck.

Session 1:

Q1:Do you think you’re a lucky person? Have you ever grasped/missed some important chances in your life? Is your luck just truly random or is it something else?

Q2:There are two general modes of thinking — intuitive and analytic. When looking back on all the experiences in your life, what do you tend to rely on more — your intuitive or analytical thinking?
(1) Career, work
(2) Relationships with family, friends, lovers and so on.
(3) College Major
(4) Finance Decision

Q3:Sociologists have found that “weak ties” is the secret to good luck. Are you feeling comfortable to connect with more “weak ties”? How have you developed your “weak ties”? Have your weak ties brought any luck to you in the past?

Session 2:Fortune Favors the Bold.(a Latin proverb)

Q1:Do you agree “Fortune Favors the Bold”? Compared with your peers, are you a person who tends to make bold choices in your life? Share your bold decisions you’ve ever made.

Q2:Please pick either of the following phrases and express your thought.

1. James Clear, the author of“Atomic Habits”(原子習慣) has claimed in his book that "You can only control the slope of your success, not your initial position. What matters is whether your habits are putting you on the path toward success."

2. Daniel Kahneman, the author of “Thinking, Fast and Slow”(快思慢想), has claimed the following as his favorite equation:

Success = talent + luck
Great success = a little more talent + a lot of luck

3. Robert Frank, the famous economist and the author of“Success and Luck”(幸運與成功), argues that wealthy people fail to appreciate the central role that luck plays in their success, and are thus unwilling to support taxation to fund public infrastructure that benefits everyone.

Q3:Share your personal tips of attracting good luck.

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
最後由 sunny 於 週六 6月 18, 2022 5:42 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

Re: 6/18(Sat.) How to Create Your Own Luck?(Host: Sunny sr.)

文章 Leon »

bring to top
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Time and again, I learn the hard way not to count on intuition when it comes to making major career decisions. Thanks to many impulsive or intuitive decisions, my career got off to a rocky start. It was as if I shot myself in the foot many times in a row. Luckily, even having wasted so much time and missed many great opportunities, I was still given a last chance and I finally did that right. It brought my career back on track.

You might wonder what I finally did right? It was the first time I relied heavily on analytical decision-making process and thorough information. I gathered inputs through all sorts of connections, including those so-called weak-ties: an acquaintance working in a similar industry and a classmate who had climbed up to a Sr. managerial position in a similar job function as what I was considering but whom I wasn't really close to. Leaving no stone unturned, I even asked the classmate how he usually interviewed applicants so as to gear myself up well.
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

文章 sunny »

Hi there, here comes more supplementary materials(if you have more time ^^)

English
Why Luck Matters More Than You Might Think:When people see themselves as self-made, they tend to be less generous and public-spirited.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nk/476394/

Summary in Chinese:為何成功者對幸運絕口不提?
http://www.knowledgeatwharton.com.cn/zh ... icle/9295/
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Growing weak ties could bring us more luck, but if we believe that is the whole story, it’s probably missing the point.

Weak ties act more like a facilitator than a deciding cause of success. Prerequisites for weak ties to work for us are knowing very specifically what we want and practicing the 10000-hour rule. If we are not specific about what we are looking for, no one from weak ties would bother to get to the bottom of it and bring opportunities to us. In addition, if we are not well prepared when an opportunity comes, it will simply slip through fingers.

As the saying goes, “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”
回覆文章