5/7 (Sat) News flash & An End to Procrastination (Host: Janet)

回覆文章
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

5/7 (Sat) News flash & An End to Procrastination (Host: Janet)

文章 janet12tw »

Hi, this is Janet.

Session 1: News flash
Since the Yoyo members once took a vote & the majority think the current events is considered the most popular subject, I would like to talk about some current events with you in session 1.
Here are some current events I chose as below:

1.Parents in a dilemma ahead of Moderna rollout for children
2.CTS faces up to NT$2m in fines for false tickers (華視誤報「兩岸開戰」)
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan ... 2003777141

3.Tony Awards warn ‘no violence’ policy after Will Smith’s Oscars slap
Session 2: An End to Procrastination
In the session 2, I would like to share a TED talk "An End to Procrastination" by Archana Murthy as below.

While I am searching for a topic for Yoyo's meeting, I stumble across this TED talk.
As a chronic procrastinator, I hope we could work out some solutions together to help me stop putting off things I am supposed to do.

Session 1:News flash

Q1:Do you think children need to be vaccinated against COVID-19? Why or Why not?

Q2: Do you think who should be responsible for the false tickers? Why?

Q3: Do you think Will Smith still could accept the award for best actor after slapping Chris Rock? Why or Why not?

Session 2 An End to Procrastination

Q1: Are you a procrastinator? How do you do to do things efficiently instead?

Q2: The speaker thinks we procrastinate because we are afraid of the consequences, ex: not doing it well or fear of the failure. And we should complete these tasks without having these emotions & just complete these tasks.
Do you agree with her or not? Why?

Q3: Here are some solutions the speaker proposed as below. Do you think they are helpful or not? Why?

1. Set the goal
2. Be Positive
3. Acknowledge and reflect on feelings
4. Feel Grateful
5. Record

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm

On-site meeting:
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Online meeting:
Zoom meeting ID: 88548972682
Password: 784362
Link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88548972682...
#YoyoEnglishClub

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 5/7 (Sat) News flash & An End to Procrastination (Host: Janet)

文章 Rock »

Q2: The speaker thinks we procrastinate because we are afraid of the consequences, ex: not doing it well or fear of the failure. And we should complete these tasks without having these emotions & just complete these tasks.
Do you agree with her or not? Why?

Partly agree. House chores, take dish washing for example, is easy and without consequences. But some people often put it off until tomorrow and then tomorrow and then tomorrow and tomorrow. Then they buy a dishwasher.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

I am lucky enough to be only a situational procrastinator, not a chronic one. Tasks that I tend to procrastinate are either things that are not so enjoyable but need to get done, like house chores, or complicated work that require much time and efforts. Filing tax returns by end of this June happens to be an ongoing case in point.

My first weapon to fight against procrastination is keeping a concise to-do list that contains only mandatory tasks and reviewing it on a regular basis. Checking the list regularly helps us focus on work that must get done rather than those that are optional or are simply nice to accomplish.

For a task that is complex or even intimidating, a good strategy is to divide it into smaller steps and make one small step a time. It is particularly important to design an easy first step. Once we achieve the first one, the ball has started rolling. Mechanics tells us that it's always easier to keep the rolling of a ball than making it move from a complete standstill. Believe it or not, that rule also applies to tasks.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Newsflashes are usually controversial, and sometimes easy to arouse debates. It is fine to discuss sensitive current events in the meeting because no recording is made. But writing on the forum, I guess we prefer commenting on those self-help types of topics. It’s less likely to be scrutinized in terms of political correctness. 8)

Procrastination, to me, is a symptom of a phenomenon, not a cause. When I procrastinated, usually it’s because I didn’t have clear goals or I had too many goals, and the thing that I procrastinated on just fell below my radar. Setting appropriate goals and managing the tasks is probably the best course of action to take with regard to procrastination.
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Use Pomodoro Technique 番茄工作法
It is a time management system. Break your workday into 25-minute chunks separated by five-minute breaks.

https://sketchplanations.com/the-pomodoro-technique
回覆文章