8/6(Sat) Play | Gap (Host: Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

8/6(Sat) Play | Gap (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Few months ago, I read the story of "たじり さとし(田尻智), Satoshi Tajiri
", the father of Pokemon. In the story, it explained how Satoshi Tajiri developed his career since senior high school and worked out a methodology to make popular computer games. Before continue, you may want to read this Youtube video first published by “孫沁岳” on your own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A6W_JK9pSY

The video is in Chinese so for English only members you could refer to the article below which also explained the key point we are about to discuss and extend:
https://www.svg.com/124723/untold-truth-pokemon/

While reading the story, the Youtuber mentioned that Satoshi Tajiri noticed that good and popular games seem to all have a key “verb” run through the whole game and this became the core philosophy for him to develop his own computer games. I was quite shocked that despite being just an teenager he was, he was capable of initiating a game’s idea just out of a keyword and then consolidating his life experience to implement it. Not to mention Pokemon has become a 10B worth IP. What a talent!

Well, I definitely don’t think this kind of story will happen to me but I do think this seems an intriguing idea to focus on a word to see what could be extended. Let me try it!

Session I. Play

Reference data: Dr. Stuart Brown’s insightful speech to elaborate how “Play” is influential to animals and human beings.
https://www.ted.com/talks/stuart_brown_ ... n_just_fun

Q1. What is the definition of “Play”? If you compare the definitions in a dictionary and among your table members, are they the same?

Q2. In your childhood you must have been at least interested in one game and played it a lot. What was it and can you find a keyword for it? decorate, jump, kick, hide….

Q3. As its mentioned in the speech, do you believe that children/animals without sufficient experience of “play” could make them dumb and not flexible to survive in a difficult environment?

Q4. Try to address activities that their essence is “play”. For instance, when people are goofing around, are they playing? And when you try to conduct your own travel plan, are you playing?

Q5. Whenever we are explicitly playing some kind of game, should we always stick to a rule? And in what scenario would you choose to follow more details of the rule instead of just basic ones?

Session II. Gap

I’ve been told that the concept “漏” in Buddhism could interpreted as “a gap
between realistic and ideal, expectation and reality” from his own experience/validation. Wow~ I didn’t know this word could be used in this place but it seems kind of making sense or at least helpful.

The definition from online Cambridge Dictionary:

an empty space or opening in the middle of something or between two things
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... tional/gap

Q1. Look at the definition, it looks mutual, isn’t it? How many kinds of gaps could you think of? (not necessarily a terminology)

Q2. Could we just categorize gaps to physical and mental types? If so, how would you categorize “generation gap” and “opportunity gap”?

Q3. What gap affected your life most and how did you deal with it?

Q4. Gaps could be useful or magnificent in nature or being applied in interior design but they are physical ones. Are there any mental or conceptual ones that are also beautiful?

******************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm

On-site meeting:
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Online meeting:
Zoom meeting ID: 848 6108 3035
Password: yoyo2022
Link: https://tinyurl.com/yoyo2022-meeting
#YoyoEnglishClub

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 8/6(Sat) Play | Gap (Host: Tashi)

文章 Michael-liu »

Everytime I see the Pokémon game machine with a long waiting line full of not only kids but also some middle-aged men and women, I always wonder what the magic power it has to draw so many people waiting in line.
回覆文章