6/24 (Sat.) TikTok's CEO on its future -- and what makes its algorithm different (Host: Janet)

回覆文章
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

6/24 (Sat.) TikTok's CEO on its future -- and what makes its algorithm different (Host: Janet)

文章 janet12tw »

Hi Everybody,

I was looking for a topic for Yoyo's meeting & came across this interesting speech given by TikTok's CEO in
Ted Talks as below.
You could also watch the video with the Chinese subtitle & read the transcript in the link as below:

https://www.ted.com/talks/shou_chew_tik ... transcript

He also mentioned a Tiktok content creator called Chemical Kim.
Here is a video I found in her channel as below:

https://www.tiktok.com/@chemicalkim/vid ... 6466798082

I believe you all have had your lives touched through TikTok, through your kids and other people in your lives.
So let's discuss about this APP & find out why the U.S. and other countries want to ban or restrict TikTok.

Session One Questions:
1. Have you ever used Tiktok? What kind of contents do you like?
2. Have you ever heard of booktok? Could you explain what is it?
3. Do you think Tiktok is all about dancing & singing? What other contents do you find that you think they are interesting?

Session Two Questions:
1. Why the U.S. and other countries want to ban or restrict TikTok?
2. What measures the CEO of Tiktok said they will take to protect the data security in the video?
3. In the video, what does he say that tiktok do to protect children & teenagers?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

Re: 6/24 (Sat.) TikTok's CEO on its future -- and what makes its algorithm different (Host: Janet)

文章 janet12tw »

Bring it to the top.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 6/24 (Sat.) TikTok's CEO on its future -- and what makes its algorithm different (Host: Janet)

文章 Rock »

Mr. Chew is my personal hero now. He was like a small knight fighting giant dragons in those congressional questioning, with his hands tied behind and was not allowed to strike back. And yet he somehow came out with some smart points which fought back beautifully. I don't know if TicToc is controlled by China or if it's evil, but his debates was really something.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Rock 寫:
週六 6月 24, 2023 10:57 am
Mr. Chew is my personal hero now. He was like a small knight fighting giant dragons in those congressional questioning, with his hands tied behind and was not allowed to strike back. And yet he somehow came out with some smart points which fought back beautifully. I don't know if TicToc is controlled by China or if it's evil, but his debates was really something.
to be honest i have no idea about TikTok, but based on the video, this guy is good. actually i have watched some clips about how he responded to those congressmen's stupid questions. this guy is really good. after watching them, not only i find how good he is, but also how pathetic so called democracy is to have these congressmen voted as people's representatives.

to say the least, with only the imagination of theoretical and hypothetical risk and without any proof, "how can all of these countries and our own FBI director have been wrong?? "

right, the majority is always right. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Today I read hardcopy newspapers at a breakfast shop and happened to see the below in an article.

去年牛津路透社新聞研究所發現,新冠疫情和俄烏戰爭最大受益者是TikTok。路透更發現,已有七成美國新聞媒體活躍於TikTok,媒體認為TikTok創造另種網路「人際接觸」,提供年輕族群更親密連結。如果網路上的文本網網相連,只有到社群所在之地,媒體才有曝光或表現可能。這就是傳播學者Castells的媒體基本正當性,現在就是要接受「網路節點就是力量」。
回覆文章