8/12 (Sat.) Hidden Stories | Success never ends (Host: Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

8/12 (Sat.) Hidden Stories | Success never ends (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Hello everyone,

It's me again to prepare some material for our conversation practice.
This time, I would like to do it this way:

In session 1, I'd like to ask for your corporation to watch the videos below to listen the two stories which takes in total around 15mins.

https://www.ted.com/talks/ryan_lobo_pho ... transcript
https://www.ted.com/talks/jawad_sharif_ ... uage=zh-tw

After that, we could use 3 simple questions to share to your members.

1. How do you feel about the stories from the speakers?
2. What were the concepts or value that the speakers trying to deliver?
3. After catching up the information, is there anything you would like to dig deeper?

In session 2, I found an interesting lecture about investigating the real relationship between your age and your chance of success. The speaker is from a physicist (Albert-László Barabási) who has been a major contributor of network science inclduing but not limited to computer networks and network medicine. The video takes 16 mins to finish but I believe you would not feel that long when you tries.

https://www.ted.com/talks/albert_laszlo ... of_success

By digging deeper in the statistics, it first showed the same result that like most athelets, most scientists really publish their most important work to the world in their 20s and 30s. However, it then also revealed some hiden factors that gave us the quite opposite conclusion that by the name of science, this investigation result could gave us some faith that no matter how old we are, we still deserve opportunity to win bigger. Trying not to spoil, I also try to design the discussion tips differently.

1. Of all the factors revealed by the speaker, what parts are new to you or excite you most?
2. Do you think the way he infer the conclusion pursuasive?
3. Think about your glorious moments in the past, would you believe that you could have bigger one in the future? About the definition of a bigger one, sure we all can have our own definition that it is not limited to be more wealthy or famous.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 973
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 8/12 (Sat.) Hidden Stories | Success never ends (Host: Tashi)

文章 Luis Ko »

right, the power of storytelling is it can always provide inspiration for people doing/thinking optimistically. what's dignified, courageous and beautiful are always inspirational. but the thing is, instead of focusing on these inspirational points, more often than not, people focus on the storytellers. it's said "If you can be a great storyteller, you can also be a great salesperson". it seems being a great storyteller will be able to sell whatever they want to sell, even their ideology. therefore, they can also become leaders, good or not, just because they are great storytellers. that's the so-called democracy has long showed us. and that's also the power of storytelling, the downside of it i would say. at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how inspirational a story is , or how powerful a storytelling is, the point is how it is perceived, and in the end, what result it will lead to.

right, i'm a cynic, and a sceptic as well. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: 8/12 (Sat.) Hidden Stories | Success never ends (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

Thanks for contributing your perspective. This makes me think of 老高 event that a lot of the things he revealed like they are information, yet they are not and their audience still like him and 小茉 very much.
回覆文章