11/7 (Tue.) Get Your Own Damn Fatal Illness: Homage to Ellie (Host: Holly)

回覆文章
hollywang1991
YOYO member
文章: 21
註冊時間: 週六 12月 01, 2018 9:37 pm

11/7 (Tue.) Get Your Own Damn Fatal Illness: Homage to Ellie (Host: Holly)

文章 hollywang1991 »

This is Holly, the host of the coming Tuesday meeting on 11/7. Thanks Miller for giving me this opportunity to find my way back here :D

I'd like to invite all of you to join me in reading. There's no need to be worried; the material is straightforward (trust me :D ). You can find the material here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing. Please be sure to read the original (English) version before the meeting. Thanks!

session 1:
Q1: Have you ever thought or contemplated about your own death?
*if this question makes you feel overwhelmed/distressed, please feel free to skip it.

Q2: If you were Yalom(the therapist), how would you feel or react upon receiving the very last letter from Ellie?

Q3: Ellie says “I don’t want to be defined as a cancer patient.” and Yalom similarly states that he doesn’t want to be defined as an old man. Do you also have an aversion to being defined/categorized/seen as a particular type of person?

-short break-

session 2:
Q4: Let's discuss Ellie's therapy session summaries. These summaries inspired me to reflect on my own life, my fear of death, and my journey towards becoming a therapist. Please feel free to share your own thoughts and reflections.

Q5: Share your thoughts regarding this article.

Q6: What are your thoughts on this translated article in comparison to the original? And if you'd like to delve deeper into the topic, how do you perceive translated literature as a whole?

See y'all on 11/7! Looking forward to our get-together! :D

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
7:00 ~ 7:10 pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50 pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10 pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:15 pm Regrouping / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:15 ~ 8:45 pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:45 ~ 8:55 pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00 pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject
Meeting Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three-minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting after the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate their ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1,500 (NT$1,000 for students) lifetime membership fee.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 899
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 11/7 (Tue.) Get Your Own Damn Fatal Illness: Homage to Ellie (Host: Holly)

文章 Iris Wu »

Sometimes I feel death is the most common of all events, but we treat it in the most unusual way. When we came into the world, we knew that we would have to leave the world someday, but whenever we heard of someone’s passing, we were always in disbelief. And when we become aware that our own end time is approaching, we feel desperate.

I am just as ordinary as anyone else. I am not sure how to react to Ellie’s final email, other than to “be with her” as much as possible, either physically or mentally. One thing I’ve come to realize is that as human beings, the last thing we want to receive is “disapproval” or “disrespect”. If there is anything that I would wish for in the twilight of my life, it would be that I could have been less judgmental to others and to have been met with less judgment in return. The world would have been more perfect in that way.
回覆文章