1/16(Tue)'Fat Tax' to Lower Obesity.(Host: Alice)

回覆文章
AliceChou
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週二 11月 16, 2021 2:22 pm

1/16(Tue)'Fat Tax' to Lower Obesity.(Host: Alice)

文章 AliceChou »

Calories, number of hours spent exercising, number of pounds to lose, those who are overweight now have a new number to worry about: a "fat" tax.

One out of five children drink three or more sugar-sweetened beverages per day, accounting for an extra meal, according to the HBO documentary series, "Weight of the Nation," which is airing this week.

Unhealthy foods and drinks are only a small contributor to many factors that lead to obesity, according to Martin Binks, a clinical psychologist and CEO of Binks Behavioral Health.

"Taxation may shift food choices away from those foods, but it provides no guarantee that the consumer will not simply shift to other unhealthy options and or continue to consume unhealthy quantities of all foods while also getting inadequate physical activity," said Binks.

To solve the obesity crisis, do people need more legislation or motivation? Let's have a discussion!

Session One
1. Many European and even Asian countries like India have implemented taxes on obesity. However, it is worth noting that some obesity issues are genetically influenced. Do you see the existence of obesity taxes as discriminatory or as a measure for public health? What impact do you think such measures have on national health and the economy?

2. For the sake of public health, do you think Taiwan should implement similar regulations? If not an obesity tax, what specific areas do you believe Taiwan should impose heavier taxes on, and why?

3. Taxes on preventing diseases, such as obesity taxes, sugar taxes, and alcohol and tobacco taxes, are designed to promote public health. How do you think tax revenue should be utilized for these purposes? Can taxation truly be effective in preventing obesity and diseases, and what alternative methods do you think could be more effective?

Session Two
4. What type of unhealthy food do you find addictive? How do you feel when consuming it, and what impact does it have on your life and health? Are there any unhealthy food habits you wish to quit, and if so, what methods do you plan to use? If not, why not?

5. In your opinion, which country has the healthiest and unhealthiest dietary patterns? Please share your experiences from the countries you have visited.

6. If tomorrow were the end of the world, and you could indulge without any consequences, how would you plan your meals? Share your three-course menu and explain your choices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:45pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
7:45 ~ 8:00pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:05 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $100)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
miller
YOYO member
文章: 99
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Re: 1/16(Tue)'Fat Tax' to Lower Obesity.(Host: Alice)

文章 miller »

Move to the top.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: 1/16(Tue)'Fat Tax' to Lower Obesity.(Host: Alice)

文章 Sherry Liao »

Obesity is not just other people’s problem. When you work hard to control your diet, exercise, and maintain good living habits, your neighbor lets himself lie on the sofa all day eating junk food. Does his out-of-shape body really have nothing to do with you?

Imagine when you try to squeeze into an elevator during rush hour and there is a fat man in it; when you take public transport and a large woman sitting next to you spilling over into your seat… not to mention that the National Health Insurance’ finances are already at stake, and huge amounts of money are still being spent to pay for the various chronic diseases caused by obesity.

It really pisses me of when I think of my family watching TV and eating potato chips in the warm living room while I am running outside in the cold. I absolutely support a fat tax!

This is a very interesting topic. Unfortunately, I ran outside in cold weather last night and got a bad cold, so I cannot join you guys. Sad. :cccry: :cccry: :cccry:
回覆文章