Ben
YOYO member
文章: 105
註冊時間: 週二 9月 02, 2003 4:23 pm
來自: ROC
聯繫:

Disproportionate Life - 80/20 rules [4/30 sat.]

文章 Ben »

Hi, this is Ben. It’s my honor to be the host on 4/30 sat. I am very glad that there’s such a chance to share some stuff with members of yoyo even when I am serving the military now. This weekend I want to introduce you guys a theory called “80/20 rules.” Maybe someone ever heard of it considers that it’s a professional economical topic. In fact, it exists around our daily life. I am trying to share this idea in a common way.

What is “80/20 rules”? 80% results are caused by 20% factors. Have you ever felt the efforts are not direct proportion to the results? For example, it’s easier to improve the grade from 0 to 80 than from 80 to 100. The efforts you have to do from 80 to 100 may be four times than from 0 to 80. There are some examples of 80/20 rules: 1.80% money is owned bye 20% people in the society. 2.20% people decide 80% policy. 3.80% market is occupied by 20% company (brand).

It’s interesting that there are lots of phenomena around us is not direct ratio (50/50), they obey 80/20 rules, if you are willing to observe and think about them.

I had some problems when I found out the reference articles on net. Because almost all of them are highly-related with economical issues, some of them are even professional papers. I’ve chosen two of them which are presented in most common ways for your reference. If you are not interested in the economical stuff mentioned about in the articles, it’s ok. The most important thing is I wish everybody could think about what follow the 80/20 rules and what else obey the 50/50 rules around you or based on your experience before join the discussion.

Reference Articles

A.
The 80/20 Rule, also known as the Pareto Principle, says that 20% of what we do produces 80% of the results. Some examples of this principle are:
• 20% of the people sell 80% of the widgets.
• 20% of the salespeople earn 80% of the commission.
• 20% of the parts in your car cause 80% of the breakdowns.
• 20% of the members of an organization do 80% of the work.

The 80/20 principles can help anyone create balance in their life. Here’s how:

1. Identify the times when you are most happy and productive (i.e., the 20% that produces the 80%) and increase them as much as possible.
2. Identify the times when you are least happy and productive (i.e., the 80% that produces the 20%), and reduce them as much as possible.

B. http://longtail.typepad.com/the_long_ta ... eanin.html

Discussion questions

1.Have you ever felt something is not direct ratio around you? Give us some examples.

2.After realize the 80/20 rules, can you give some things are direct proportional for instance.

3.doing 20% efforts to reach 80% grades or doing 80% efforts to reach the last 20% grades, what is your option? How to balance it in you life?

4.After the discussion of the day, do you have any feedback or ideas of this rule? Share with us.

Key words

Direct proportion (ratio) 正比
最後由 Ben 於 週三 4月 27, 2005 3:38 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

請問unproportionate 是啥意思呀?

我知道unproportionate的意思是"成比例的",但各大字典都查不到unproportionate這個字(只有disproportionate"不成比例的") :evil: {雖然網路上有出現unproportionate} :?: ...

unproportionate 是"「沒有」比例的"嗎? :roll:
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

想不到你在這麼乏味的環境下
還能想出這麼有趣的主題

Ben, 真有你的
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Ben
YOYO member
文章: 105
註冊時間: 週二 9月 02, 2003 4:23 pm
來自: ROC
聯繫:

文章 Ben »

Wayne 寫:請問unproportionate 是啥意思呀?

我知道unproportionate的意思是"成比例的",但各大字典都查不到unproportionate這個字(只有disproportionate"不成比例的") :evil: {雖然網路上有出現unproportionate} :?: ...

unproportionate 是"「沒有」比例的"嗎? :roll:
我查過三本字典:大陸簡明、文馨活用、以及 Dr.eye 辭典軟體,其中前兩者中都只有 disproportionate 而沒有 unproportionate 這個字,但 Dr.eye 中有,意同 disproportionate ( 不成比例的 )

後來又跑去查了一下 Web WordNet 2.0 這個美國的線上字典程式,也是以 disproportionate 為主,我想 unproportionate 有可能是積非成是的習慣性用法,在以學習英文的前提為主的討論下,還是統一以 disproportionate 表示好了

多謝 wayne 指教
頭像
Denise*
文章: 7
註冊時間: 週三 4月 13, 2005 2:47 pm
來自: Taipei*

CoooL!!

文章 Denise* »

wow..such an interesting topic, i like it.
Thank you Ben. I am looking forward to discuss this topic. COOOL!!
This is Denise, nice to see you all.It's great to join YOYO...^_________^
Yubor
YOYO member
文章: 188
註冊時間: 週日 8月 24, 2003 5:13 pm

文章 Yubor »

Leon,
為什麼這個環境 很乏味?
Stephen
文章: 91
註冊時間: 週三 8月 11, 2004 2:37 pm
來自: Hsinchu