Be the Crime Scene Investigator! (6/18, Sat.)

Be the Crime Scene Investigator! (6/18, Sat.)

文章sunny » 週三 6月 15, 2005 1:58 am

Hi dears, this is the message from Sunny. Thanks to the GREAT KING, David jr., I was throned to be the hostess this Sat. afternoon(How Lucky I Am! ) Since I have been indulging in variety of detective novels and comic books, I'm going to invite you guys to be involved in the crime scene this weekend, investigating the mysteries and puzzles, and deducing who the criminal is on the basis of evidences!
However, to be the real crime scene investigator, the sixth sense and deduction are strongly required as well. Let's see if you can solve the mystery as follows:

"The Star-Crossed Star" by Hy Conrad See-n-Solve #54 - Apr 2005

(THE CASE)
Amy had been dying to see Johnny Eckert on stage, but not like this. Eckert was lying on the set of "Midnight Madness," the play that had made the TV actor into a Broadway star and that was now touring the country. The young actor had been shot right on stage, in full view of the crew who'd been preparing for tomorrow's opening performance. Detective Harry Silver had gotten the call 15 minutes ago and knew that keeping Amy away from her idol's murder scene would probably result in another murder-- his own.

Drew Grant, the play's director had been sitting in the house and saw the whole thing. "Yesterday, when we got into town, some weird guy was hanging around, trying to get in the stage door. I approached him, but he just scurried off. We were loading the set today, plus doing a few repairs and repainting the set. Johnny was standing onstage, complaining about the fumes, when this guy rushed onstage. He shot Johnny once, then rushed off. Some people were in the wings, so he changed directions and wound up going through there."

The director pointed to an upstage door, part of the play's set. "No one saw where he went."

"Could this have been a hired hit man?" asked Harry as he looked up from his notepad.

Drew Grant lowered his voice. "The idea occurred to me, too. Johnny loved to sue and he often won. Right now, he's suing his manager, the play's producer-- even the president of his fan club."

"Was he suing you?"

Grant smiled. "No. I lucked out. Those people are here if you want to talk to them." He turned and pointed to three forlorn-looking individuals standing around the stage.

Harry glanced at his daughter who was preoccupied, still gazing at the dead star. "Snap out of it, honey," he whispered. "This is one case I know you want to solve."

(THE CLUES)
Amy's Logic:

“The killer was in disguise, of course,” Amy said, her voice tense with anger. "The sighting yesterday is supposed to make us think it was a hired hit man or a deranged fan. But it wasn't. It was one of these people."

"How do you know that?" Harry asked.

"Look at them," Amy replied. "It should be clear just by looking at them."

"Amy, that doesn't make sense. I know how much Johnny meant to you, but you can't get emotional."

"Dad, it makes perfect sense. Look carefully. The killer was in a rush to change out of costume. A detail was overlooked."

Interview the Witness:
Drew Grant(the Director)--

"The Killer had a mustache and bushy blond hair. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a wig. Medium height and build with jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. Plastic gloves, too, the kind doctors wear. He had a little trouble getting that door open. People saw him running backstage, but no one gave chase. They didn't know what was happening.”

Inspect the Corpse (Johnny Eckert)—

“A man in his mid-twenties. Shot once in the chest. From the blood, it hit an artery or organ. He died within seconds. Probably not a lot of pain. ”

Interview the Suspects:

(1) Betty Dicker (the Manager)—

“I manage Johnny’s career and investments. He was suing me, yes, but it was a mistake. He didn’t understand my bookkeeping. I was alone in the theater office, going over the advance sales. Johnny got a cut of the gross. I didn’t hear the gunshot. A stagehand was out in the hall, yelling about the murder. I came to the stage as soon as I heard.

(2) Alisha Brown (Fan Club President)—

“I founded the Johnny Eckert Fan Club. Now we have half a million members. And how did Johnny thank me? By suing me for misappropriation of funds. Johnny and I had a meeting today. I was in his dressing room waiting for him when I heard the shot. At first I thought it was a car backfiring. ”

(3) Bob Turandot (Producer)—

“I got to the theater about 3 minutes after the shooting. It’s quite a blow, our star getting killed. We were so close to breaking even. I know everyone thinks this play made a fortune, but it’s not true. Johnny didn’t understand the expenses, how you have to discount for theater groups, etc. And he’s not the sell-out draw he should be. Not like Ricky Martin. ”

Vocabulary:

scurry off 逃開
fume 煙霧
hit man 職業殺手
notepad 筆記本
sue 控告; 對…提起訴訟
luck out 走運
snap out of it 重新振作
in disguise 偽裝
deranged 瘋狂的
costume 服裝
corpse 屍體
mustache 鬍子
wig 假髮
stagehand 舞臺工作人員
car backfiring 引擎逆火
最後由 sunny 於 週三 6月 15, 2005 2:25 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
sunny
YOYO member

文章: 252
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City

文章sunny » 週三 6月 15, 2005 2:08 am

Session 1--- Be the crime scene investigator!

Discussion Question--Who killed Johnny Eckert?

(1) Are you good at observing people, such as their facial expressions, emotions, and so on?

(2) Are you sensitive to the environment surrounding you, such as the smells, colors, temperature, and so on?

Session 2--- Get-a-Clue! How many clues do you need to solve the crime?

:mrgreen:
給新朋友的話:

聚會時間:星期六 請準時2:00 pm 到 ~ 約4:00 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:加州陽光2F 台北市大安路一段84巷4號 02-27512955
捷運忠孝復興站(木柵線板南線樞紐,十分方便)
忠孝東路 SOGO 附近之永福樓對面Bistro 98大樓-->大安路-->大眾銀行-->第一條巷子右轉
最低消費約$80。

1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;討論完畢後可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想(feedback)。
2. 請事先閱討論主題相關內容以及host所提的問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 來之前請先讀一下在討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。
4. 在正式加入之前(繳交可退還之押金NT$1,000),可以先來觀摩三次
頭像
sunny
YOYO member

文章: 252
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City

文章austin » 週三 6月 15, 2005 9:05 am

哇...好有趣的TOPIC...非去不可 8)
There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.
頭像
austin

文章: 555
註冊時間: 週六 8月 16, 2003 11:34 am
來自: 積雨雲

文章Kate » 週三 6月 15, 2005 10:13 am

哎呀,糟糕!
這樣和我準備在6/25玩的murder party性質雷同耶..
所以親愛的yoyo們,
週六版的murder party就繼續讓我欠著吧~ :D

相信主持功力一流的Sunny一定會讓大家有個緊張刺激懸疑的的兩小時!
[麋鹿透社]台北知名的YOYO英語俱樂部,於2007年聖誕夜的特別活動中,順利找尋到V&A愛情手鐲,今年果然為該俱樂部帶來一片喜氣,不少成員找到他們的真愛,尚在尋覓中的單身成員,相信在不久的未來,也能找到屬於他們的幸福。
Kate
YOYO member

文章: 389
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:41 am

文章sunny » 週三 6月 15, 2005 11:14 am

Sorry, Kate,

在很久很久之前我有依稀聽到妳說想要主持這類的TOPIC
(咦, 是不是上禮拜我也有問過妳啊?!)
但想不到妳居然這麼巧就是下星期的HOST, :roll:
因為這剛好是我之前就很想主持的TOPIC~

看來大家志同道合~~
一起來吧! :wink: