Phone fraud ---10/19 (Wed)

回覆文章
maggiewang
YOYO member
文章: 149
註冊時間: 週五 1月 23, 2004 2:59 am

Phone fraud ---10/19 (Wed)

文章 maggiewang »

Hey guys, it is Maggie to be the host of 10/19(Wed.). This time let’s discuss the “Frauds"–phone frauds, internet frauds etc. around us. Actually I just got off the phone with someone who's posing he is a bank clerk saying that I had an overdue bill which I hadn’t paid yet, the first thought crossed my mind was “fraud”, so I hang up the phone…..but strangely enough, I started to think what if it is real that someone stole my id and got a loan…..it is so unfortunate that I always end up being bothered with questions like WHAT IF….MAYBE IT IS TURE… and it gives me headaches. I believe some of you had same experiences, so let’s talk about it.

Here is something for you to read, this is a rather long article, however, “phone fraud” became a serious issue now and all of us are paying price for that, if you’ve got time, take a look at it.

look forward to seeing your guys soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6083986
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6463545/

Session I

1.Share your personal stories regarding the phone frauds or any kinds of frauds. Tell your group members how you reacted and how it ended.

2.How to identify the phone situation you' re in is true or false, and how to handle the situation?

3.What do you think that makes it so difficult for authorities to crack Frauds up?

Session II

4.In your opinion, how does phone fraud affect our society?

5.What are the weakness of mankind that conman (歹徒)will take advantage of during a phone fraud? Can you name of other frauds which target same human weaknesses?

6.What are you going to tell your family and friends to avoid such fraud, and what do you think there are things can be done by the authorities to prevent such cases?

Time: 7-9PM, Wednesday
Place: POSETOP (敦化南路一段233巷59號。捷運板南線忠孝敦化站3號出口, 從明曜百貨公司的巷子進入後第二個巷子摩斯漢堡左轉)

給新朋友的話:
1. 請準備簡單的英語自我介紹。討論完畢後可能會請你給我們一點感想或是你對我們的看法。
2. 來之前請先讀一下討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。
3. 在正式加入並繳交可退還之押金NT$1,000之前,可以先來觀摩三次。
大家一起加油吧!
Simon Pan
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週二 2月 17, 2004 5:57 pm

文章 Simon Pan »

My dear YOYO freinds:
What an interesting and a serious topic it is. Even here in Washington, DC I've received hundred times of calls from strangers in the past one year and three months. Some of them asked me to donate money for the poor children. Some said I was a target of a gangster group. And some asked me to fill out a questionnaire. Who were they truely? Since my father was cheated and lost NT70, 000 by a phone froud in 2000, I became more cautious to uncommen cases. But I'm really curious and would like to know those answers to the questions you are going to discuss. If any one can write a part of the discussion and post it under this topic, you would be much appreciated.
Enjoy the gathering with ease and carefulness.
best regards,
Simon Pan
頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

文章 Lydia »

This is really a good topic ! :idea:

I did receive many phone frauds during the past one year too. Most of them are about kidnapping. The first time I got the phone fraud made me frightened !
They can simulate any one of your relatives' sound asking for your emergent help. Surprisingly most, the timing of such phone makes you alomost believe that the victim is on their hand. I feel really upset every time when I got the phone fraud even though I knew it is fake.
These phones destroy the matual trust of human beings, and we are also deprived of the right of free of fear at that moment . :evil:

If any one can write a part of the discussion and post it under this topic, you would be much appreciated.
Enjoy the gathering with ease and carefulness.
I second Simon's motion. :)

Lydia
頭像
lien007
文章: 28
註冊時間: 週六 9月 17, 2005 10:27 pm

文章 lien007 »

let me- another simon sharing my experience...

I didn't received any phone frauds so far la...
so I think I'm the lucky guy here.

However, my mom did received one phone fraud, it's about I been kidnapped, my mom nearly fall for it, but she suddenly remember I told her two days ago, (because I have a strong feeling we might get one) if there was a phone fraud, the name I call you will be _____, not mom...

Then the person in the phone called my mom - "mom", so she suddenly realized it's phone fraud... there must be some info leaking, I don't know how they get our info...
:roll:
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Another case is that you are told you have not paid your bill of one of your credit cards.

Situation A. Say you don't have such a credit card. So you'll be told your card has been illegally used by someone else. They will warn you this is a major fraud. (How nice of her, you think!) Then you are asked to be clear from other phone calls as someone else "from the police" will call you in a few minutes. All right, "a man who claims he's from the police department" does call you. He'll ask about your bank/credit card transactions and intends to get all your information, including your account numbers, credit card numbers, your phone/mobile numbers, your address, and/or your passwords. They claim that by doing so they're only trying to "help" you. If you get fooled, expect your money to be "gone in sixty seconds". Is it possible to trace the con-men? Least likely.

Situation B: You do have such a credit card. However, you don't recall you have spent the money. Similarly, they'll tell you someone else has used your name and your accounts, and they try to get additional personal information from you.

How does this happen?
1. You yourself receive the phone call. If you're the first-time prey, you'll be worried and even be thankful for their "kindness". You are likely to give your information and "ask them" to help you.

2. You receive a similar message (you owe some money) on your answering machine and are asked to dial back. If you do, they will first ask "Who's calling" to get your name, and then ask for your account number. Now you are "perfectly" willing to reveal your personal information --- so easily. After they get these information, they can swipe your credit cards at will like crazy while you re doomed to pay the jacked-up bill, or they use your name/ID number as a virtual identity to commit more frauds while you are the scapegoat.

What you can do is to ignore these fraud phone calls. You can either hang up on the caller or ask for a number for you to call back but you double check the number to see if this is the true contact number.

However, most importantly, you must manage your credit card and your personal information carefully. For example, keep books after you have used your credit cards, or do not give out your personal information such as your ID number, account numbers, and your passwords.

Don't be a dick. When you are the fall guy, you'll cry yourself a river --- all by yourself.

Be smart!

If you receive such phone calls, dial 165 -- an exclusive line connected to the police department for people to report such a crime.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Similar phone frauds seem to be very rare in New York. At least I haven't heard any. It is not easy to transfer money on ATM or over the phone between strangers. Ebay traders uses Paypal, which has its own rules and regulations. My question is why does Taiwan's bank make it so "easy" to transfer money? This problem is a major failure of some watchdog group in Taiwan.

Related phrases:

"There is a sucker born every minute." (The trick is get to them before
everybody else)

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/streetli ... 78,00.html

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

http://www.symbolman.com/shames.html
最後由 technobabel 於 週三 10月 19, 2005 11:06 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Stanley
YOYO member
文章: 49
註冊時間: 週三 10月 05, 2005 4:33 pm

聽不清楚,也不要亂按!!

文章 Stanley »

we are family 您好 您中國信託銀行信用卡應邀納金額尚未繳款,請儘速繳納。要重聽請按1,與客服人員連絡請按9

要注意
別理他

近來又有翻新的騙術:
>
對方撥打電話後,用語音的方式告訴你,內容是:~~~君(你根本聽不到姓名),您XX銀行信用卡應邀納金額尚未繳款,請儘速繳納。要重聽請按1,與客服人員連絡請按9
>
> 如果按1,你還是聽不清楚講話的內容
>
>
如果按9,那你就完ㄌ,對方已將你的電話費提升為150元/分鐘的通話費用,而且對方會一直放音樂給你聽,目的是要賺你的通話費。
> 請小心!!

同事昨天寄給我的Mail,沒想到當天晚上在家中就接到一通這樣的電話.
講話內容斷斷續續的,像是沒電的感覺.
不過最後2句倒是粉清楚啊.
*要重聽請按1,與客服人員聯絡請按9*
騙子抓準現代人,信用卡辦一堆,又沒有將卡費處理好的弱點,引誘你上當.
還好有看到這封MAIL,有稍微提防.
信用卡費用有問題應該直接詢問該銀行,而且應該會寄催繳信函,
切勿隨便聽從不明電話的指示.
頭像
lien007
文章: 28
註冊時間: 週六 9月 17, 2005 10:27 pm

文章 lien007 »

那他們騙不到我嚕
因為我... 一 . 張 . 信 . 用 . 卡 . 都 . 沒 . 有 ~~~ 8)
Stanley
YOYO member
文章: 49
註冊時間: 週三 10月 05, 2005 4:33 pm

詐騙聽煩 她匯1元摧毀人頭戶<這招讚!>

文章 Stanley »

作法1 先虛予委蛇 捏造假名假裝上當
> 完全不用在意詐騙集團知道你個人資料的可能性
> 因為這些傢伙用意是在錢 不在於你是誰
> 況且打電話的人往往都是中國人 中國人了解台灣??? 屁啦~~~
>
> 作法2 當詐騙集團說要到櫃員機匯款時