YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

此地無銀三百兩 的 English Equivalent

文章 technobabel »

How do you say 此地無銀三百兩 in English?

In Wiktionary, 此地無銀三百兩:
a clumsy denial resulting in self-exposure; a very poor lie which reveals the truth; protest one's innocence too much

But, what about this famous quote from Wizard of Oz?

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

The similarity between "此地無銀三百兩" and "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" is that both statements ask you to ignore something that have caught your attention.

Is there a better translation out there?
最後由 technobabel 於 週五 2月 22, 2008 9:31 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Re: 此地無銀三百兩's English Equivalent

文章 Georgia »

technobabel 寫:How do you say 此地無銀三百兩 in English?

In Wiktionary, 此地無銀三百兩:
a clumsy denial resulting in self-exposure; a very poor lie which reveals the truth; protest one's innocence too much

But, what about this famous quote from Wizard of Oz?

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

The similarity between "此地無銀三百兩" and "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" is that both statements ask you to ignore something that have caught your attention.

Is there a better translation out there?
I think these two statements were meant to cover up something or trying to lead the listeners to focus on something else but the whatever. However the cover blows itself, leading the listeners more exposed to the whatever.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

It is also the timeless art of diverting other's attention with hidden agenda that is just too obvious.

If you google the phrase "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" You will get many politics related blogs. Some of them are rather intriguing.

Let's modify the quote to fit Taiwan's cureent situation,

Wizard of Green Electioneering Machine:
"Please pay close attention to the green card status of that presidential candidate"
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章