Who is to Blame for Building Collapse?

回覆文章
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Who is to Blame for Building Collapse?

文章 Iris Wu »

Before we spend all our energy on foreign affairs, I really like to ask a question:
Do you think it is right to just go after the builder and the architects who constructed the buildings which collapsed during this earthquake?

I totally agree that any builders who cut corners in construction and put public safety in jeopardy are guilty, but are they the only one to be pursued? Where was the inspection? What happened to those inspectors? What inspection procedures have been done? Where are the inspection records? What did our government do to monitor and ensure the public safety? Why nobody asked for this?

Inspection cannot check all the buildings and cannot prevent all the frauds, but if the policies and procedures and punishment rules were enforced, less builders would dare to commit the crime like this and the government would be able to hold the builders accountable in more timely fashion (for example, setting high amount of fine or suspend the license before they transferred all the money away.)

It seems we have very low expectation from our government?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/world ... world&_r=0
http://www.thewildeast.net/2016/02/the- ... -to-blame/
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Who is to Blame for Building Collapse?

文章 Luis Ko »

right, of course the government is to blame. especially the local government has to take more responsibilities, since the construction business is right under their governance. they should keep an eye on it directly.

don't get me wrong. no green or blue implied. i simply think the government, whatever the color, should have enforced stricter regulations on construction companies, and should have had stricter inspections before, under and after constructions, with severe punishments for any wrongdoing. instead, the punishment for violation of the regulations seems very lenient. taking company fines as example, often times it's just like a drop when it compares to the amount of the business the companies are doing worth. furthermore, it seems a construction company doesn't need to have much money as their company capital, still they can do the business, even the business is worth many times of the amount of their capital. since we are talking about shoddy buildings which were cut-corners built by those bad builders for saving cost here, of course, how much money the companies have does matter i would say.

yeah, the article says it right. we can also lay the blame on the lack of actions of those politicians. especially after we have experienced the 921 earthquake, they should have learnt a lesson or two. but then again, when we point our fingers at them, don't forget the responsibilities of ours and theirs are just inextricable. at the end of the day, we vote for them, don't we? ok, maybe i shouldn't have said that since it might light the touch paper lo~ :drink:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Who is to Blame for Building Collapse?

文章 Rock »

There are stamps on the permissions or licenses of the buildings. Those stamps are for responsibilities. If a user of the stamp doesn't take the responsibility, what's the stamp for? :|
回覆文章