Avanced-level Study Group---身心靈成長, 及 PBS newshou

回覆文章
Yongchou
文章: 20
註冊時間: 週二 3月 16, 2004 9:54 am

Avanced-level Study Group---身心靈成長, 及 PBS newshou

文章 Yongchou »

I'd like to put forth here some preliminary ideas for you who might be interested. Comments are very appreciated.

Goal: Fluency & Accuracy to pass 英檢高級 or new TOEFL2005(at about the current CBT 280 level)
Material: 1. interviews on Wisdommedia
2. PBS newshour debate(with transcript) (interesting topics like ""Gay Marriage-1"Gay Marriage-2","Human cloning")
Method: (Step 1) Listen to the material for the first time
(Step 2) Write down a brief summary
(Setp 3) Listen to it over & over till you can "shadow" it---(speak as fast as the speaker without actually making the sound)
(Step 4) Do the transcription yourself
(Step 5) Check up the script with the original & a dictionary
(Step 6) Post your own corrected script
(Step 7) Re-read out loud the script
(Step 8) Do a mock dialogue with a partner---Act like the speakers
(Step 9) Choose one point that impresses you most for further discussion
Avenue: online voice-chatrooms ( Paltalk or Yahoo )
Tools: 0. mp3DirectCut 轉製任何廣播成mp3
1. Sitman 覆讀機
2. 比對稿程式(Thanks to cybergate on Putclub
-------很謝謝版主等提供這裡, 可惜無法到台北跟你們一起學習 -------
最後由 Yongchou 於 週日 4月 11, 2004 5:51 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 5 次。
lennel
YOYO member
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週日 8月 17, 2003 11:49 am

文章 lennel »

我很早之前有想組這種advanced小組說
因為我下載許多節目,可是都沒時間詳細的收看(最多只看一次) :roll:
也許這種小組可以逼我看節目、讀transcript
同時可以學習到許多知識

可惜我要在6月之後才有空... :(
背不完的單字,記不了的單字
Yongchou

文章 Yongchou »

lennel, 謝謝你整理的教學, thorough & clear
大家多研究研究具體方式,
New TOFEL( 不考短對話及語法--改加重注重真正使用英語能力--說, 以及寫, 聽也變長, 難) 今年7月就有online free test可挑戰
我先自己實驗衝刺看看,
6月等你會合
Yongchou

文章 Yongchou »

我舉例訂正PBS's script, 使用比對程式
-------PBS' 原稿以及錄音 http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/jan- ... _2-13.html -----------
JIM LEHRER: Ray Suarez has our same-sex marriage story.

SPOKESPERSON: All God's children should be equal under the eyes of the law.

RAY SUAREZ: After struggling through two days of heated debate over the question of same sex marriage, Massachusetts legislators adjourned their constitutional convention in gridlock last night. State legislators had convened in a joint session for the last two days considering a constitutional amendment banning gay marriages.

Political demand for the amendment grew last week after the state's highest court ruled that same-sex marriages must be permitted, beginning on May 17. The court said that Massachusetts' constitution guarantees homosexual couples the same rights to marriage enjoyed by heterosexuals and "forbids the creation of second-class citizens." That ruling led to a heated political debate this week both outside and inside the statehouse.

Opponents of same sex marriage argued in favor of a constitutional amendment limiting marriage to that between a man and a woman. Some, such as Rep. Paul Loscocco, argued this week the state court had overstepped its bounds.

REP. PAUL LOSCOCCO: The issue really before us today is no less than our representative form of government versus judicial tyranny. Today the subject matter of the court infringement relates to the people's right to define marriage. However, we should all consider that if left unchecked what rights the court will continue to usurp tomorrow.

RAY SUAREZ: Variations on the original amendment were also offered as compromises, some offering stronger protections for civil unions, which provide some legal benefits and protections, but often are not transferable outside a given state. Sharp disagreements were heard on the floor.

MARIE PARENTE: Mother Nature left her blueprint behind, and she left it in the DNA of a man and a woman. You know, I didn't create that combo; Mother Nature did. The statute of marriage was created to give statutory protection of a family unit, to protect a man and a woman and the child they would create.

RAY SUAREZ: But state Sen. Jarrett Barrios, who is gay and recently adopted two boys with his partner, said gays and lesbians needed the legal benefits of marriage. He described the problems he encountered when trying to get medical attention for his 7-year-old son with a high fever.

JARRETT BARRIOS: I reached a nurse at the hospital, and I started going into his symptoms. I told him the name and he said to me, are you the parent? I said my name is Jared. I'm the parent. The parent we had listed is Doug Hataway. That's my partner I said. But we don't have you listed. Are you married? You aren't. What ensued seemed like an eternity. When my child had 104.5 fever and I admit I was a new parent, I thought as many new parents thought, he could die on my watch while I was fighting with a nurse over whether I was his parent or not.

RAY SUAREZ: Sen. Dianne Wilkerson argued it was a civil rights issue for her gay constituents.

SEN. DIANNE WILKERSON: I can assure you I know them; they feel; they care; they love; and they are deserving, and I say again that this is a civil rights issue.

RAY SUAREZ: In the end, neither side prevailed, and the meeting was adjourned till March 11. Overall, 38 states have passed laws defining marriage as between a man and a woman. Last Friday, Ohio enacted one of the most restrictive measures, refusing benefits such as health insurance to unwed partners of state workers, gay or not. Only four states offer legal recognition of some kind for gay couples.

In a surprise move yesterday, the city of San Francisco began granting marriage licenses to gay couples in defiance of California state law. Today more than 300 couples were lining up at city hall and filling out forms. Opponents sought a restraining order. At the federal level, the Defense of Marriage Act, signed by President Clinton in 1996, defines marriage as between a man and a woman and says states need not recognize the marriage laws of other states. President Bush has sent some signals, initially during his state of the union speech, that he might back a federal constitutional amendment banning gay marriages.

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will on the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process.

RAY SUAREZ: The White House said this week it is still reviewing its options.
最後由 Yongchou 於 週日 4月 11, 2004 5:52 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Yongchou

文章 Yongchou »

訂正後, 有點小缺點, 多了段落開頭有個刪去號
------
JIM LEHRER: Ray Suarez has our same-sex marriage story.

/ SPOKESPERSON: All God's children should be equal under the eyes of the law.

/ RAY SUAREZ: After struggling through two days of heated debate over the question of same sex marriage, Massachusetts legislators adjourned their constitutional convention in gridlock last night. State legislators had convened in a joint session for the last two days considering a constitutional amendment banning gay marriages.

/ Political demand for the amendment grew last week after the state's highest court ruled that same-sex marriages must be permitted, beginning on May 17. The court said that Massachusetts' constitution guarantees homosexual couples the same rights to marriage enjoyed by heterosexuals and "forbids the creation of second-class citizens. " That ruling led to a heated political debate this week both outside and inside the statehouse.

/ Opponents of same sex marriage argued in favor of a constitutional amendment limiting marriages to couples consisting of a man and a woman. Some, such as Rep. Paul Loscocco, argued this week the state court had overstepped its bounds.

/ REP. PAUL LOSCOCCO: The issue really before us today is no less than our representative form of government versus judicial tyranny. Today the subject matter of the court 's infringement relates to the people's right to define marriage. However, we should all consider that if left unchecked what rights will the court attempt to usurp tomorrow.

/ RAY SUAREZ: Variations on the original amendment were also offered as compromises, some offering stronger protections for civil unions, which provide some legal benefits and protections, but often are not transferable outside a given state. Sharp disagreements were heard on the floor.

/ MARIE PARENTE: Mother Nature left her blueprint behind, and she left it in / DNA / a man and a woman. You know, I didn't create that combination; Mother Nature did. The statute of marriage was created to give statutory protection to the family unit, to protect a man and a woman and the child they would create.

/ RAY SUAREZ: But state Sen. Jarrett Barrios, who is gay and recently adopted two boys with his partner, said gays and lesbians needed the legal benefits of marriage. He described the problems he and his partner ran into at a hospital when / his / son was sick .

JARRETT BARRIOS: I reached a nurse at the hospital, and I started going into his symptoms. I told him the name and he said to me, are you the parent? I said my name is Jared. I'm the parent. The parent we have listed is Doug Hataway. That's my partner I said. But we don't have you listed. Are you married? You aren't. What ensued seemed like an eternity. When my child had 104. 5 fever and I admit I was a new parent, I thought as many new parents thought, he could die on my watch while I was fighting with a nurse over whether I was his parent or not.

/ RAY SUAREZ: Sen. Dianne Wilkerson argued it was a civil rights issue for her gay constituents.

/ SEN. DIANNE WILKERSON: I can assure you I know them; they feel; they care; they love; and they are deserving, and I say again that this is a civil rights issue.

/ RAY SUAREZ: In the end, neither side prevailed, and the meeting was adjourned till March 11. Overall, 38 states have passed laws defining marriage as between a man and a woman. Last Friday, Ohio enacted one of the most restrictive measures, refusing benefits such as health insurance to unwed partners of state workers, gay or not. Only four states offer legal recognition of some kind for gay couples.

/ In a surprise move yesterday, the city of San Francisco began granting marriage licenses to gay couples in defiance of California state law. Today more than 300 couples were lining up at city hall and filling out forms, while opponents sought a restraining order. At the federal level, the Defense of Marriage Act, signed by President Clinton in 1996, defines marriage as between a man and a woman and says states need not recognize the marriage laws of other states. President Bush has sent some signals, initially during his state of the union speech, that he might back a federal constitutional amendment banning gay marriages.

/ PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will on the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process.

/ RAY SUAREZ: The White House said this week it is still reviewing its options.
回覆文章