Taiwan's Yankee hero:Wang overpowers Red Sox with two-hitter

回覆文章
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Taiwan's Yankee hero:Wang overpowers Red Sox with two-hitter

文章 Sherry Liao »

I am not any good at sport news. But recently baseball is really hot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/12/sport ... ref=slogin

Yankees 4, Red Sox 1
Wang’s Stoic Presence Silences the Red Sox
By TYLER KEPNER
Published: April 12, 2008

BOSTON — He has never thrown a no-hitter, like Clay Buchholz, or had a shutdown performance in the World Series, like Josh Beckett. He never captured the imaginations of Yankees fans as an electrifying rookie, like Phil Hughes, and he is not as accomplished as Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte or Curt Schilling.

But there is no pitcher in the majors with as many victories as Chien-Ming Wang since the start of the 2006 season. He is efficient and dependable for the Yankees, a quiet, stoic and steady presence in their rivalry with the Boston Red Sox. When the teams met at Fenway Park on Friday for the first time this season, it was Wang who took over.

Wang pitched a two-hitter in a 4-1 victory before 37,624 fans, the largest crowd at Fenway Park since World War II. Jason Giambi homered for the Yankees and José Molina doubled twice, but Wang was the star.

“He’s become the ace of our staff, there’s no doubt about it, and tonight he pitched as well as anybody could pitch,” Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman said. “He seems to be refining his repertoire on how to attack hitters, and that’s a great thing. Right now, he’s at the top of his game.”

Wang used 93 pitches to silence the Red Sox, who had seen 212 pitches Thursday against Detroit. He faced two batters over the minimum, and for eight and two-thirds innings, Boston’s only hit was a fifth-inning homer by J. D. Drew that just eluded Bobby Abreu at the wall in right-center field.

Coco Crisp added a bunt single with two outs in the ninth, but Dustin Pedroia lined to left to end the game. It was the fourth career complete game for Wang, who is 3-0 so far and 41-13 over the past three seasons. He called this start the best of his career.

“I feel especially good about this one because I threw it in Boston, and before, I didn’t do very well in Boston,” Wang said through an interpreter. “So I think this is my best game so far.”

The Yankees and the Red Sox are known for lengthy games, with pitchers nibbling at the corners of the strike zone, hitters swatting fouls and managers churning through bullpens. On Friday, though, Wang neutralized the Red Sox by pounding the zone with sinkers and four-seam fastballs.

“They just didn’t look comfortable,” Giambi said. “Boston is almost an exact mirror team as us — guys who take a lot of pitches, take their walks and do a lot of damage by hitting home runs. He threw a lot of strikes and caught them off-guard.”

Wang came into the game with a 6.17 earned run average at Fenway, largely because of the sluggers Manny Ramírez and David Ortiz, who had combined for a .538 average off him. Because of that — and because of the playoff beating he took from the Cleveland Indians last fall — Wang had vowed to change his approach this season.

He worked on his slider and changeup in spring training, and though his results were poor then, he used the slider effectively Friday, striking out Ramírez with it in the seventh inning.

Wang said he also used more four-seamers than usual, attacking Ortiz with that pitch in the first inning, when Ortiz struck out. His next time up, Ortiz swung at a first-pitch sinker and bounced into a double play.

“We didn’t take anything away from him,” the pitching coach Dave Eiland said. “We just added some things to complement him.”

Buchholz, who pitched a no-hitter last September in his previous Fenway start, held the Yankees to one hit through four innings. But he walked three in the fifth, and Molina’s first double drove in a run.

It was a long half-inning, and when Wang returned, he was not sharp. His pitches flattened as his arm angle dropped, and the Red Sox smashed four fly balls. Drew’s came with two out and backed Abreu to the warning track.

Abreu is rarely smooth around walls, and when he leaped, his right shoulder hit the padding on the fence. That brought down his glove a few inches, and Drew’s ball grazed the fingertips before landing in the Red Sox bullpen.

Abreu said he should have made the catch, and he felt bad for missing it. The feeling grew worse as the game went on, the “1” staying stuck in the Red Sox hit column until the very end.

“I saw the innings going and going,” Abreu said. “A lot of things went through my head.”

The Red Sox, meanwhile, rued their missed opportunities in the fifth. Ramírez and Kevin Youkilis had also flied out to Abreu, and Jason Varitek mashed a ball to the warning track in center. But only Drew’s went out.

“There were times in the game when he threw his two-seamer middle, and then it went away and we just got it not quite off the barrel,” Red Sox Manager Terry Francona said. “The game plan was to get it up and stay in the middle of the field, and we did at times. We had nothing to show for it.”

Buchholz left after six innings with the score tied, 1-1. His replacement was Mike Timlin, who had missed the first 10 games with a lacerated right ring finger. Giambi — 1 for 20 this season, 2 for 17 in his career against Timlin — was the first hitter he faced.

“I just tried to hit it hard, nothing special,” Giambi said. “I was just trying to put it in play, because I knew he had good success against me.”

With a full count, Giambi did much better than he hoped. He launched a fastball onto a platform next to the center field cameras, breaking the 1-1 tie.

It put a lead in the hands of Wang, a pitcher the Yankees are thrilled to have at the front of their rotation, with no apologies.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

Re: Taiwan's Yankee hero:Wang overpowers Red Sox with two-hitter

文章 Sherry Liao »

Some words/phrases as mentioned in the above article:

hit 安打
pitcher 投手
ace 王牌
batter 打擊者
inner 局
bunt 短打
complete game 完投 (由一個投手投完九局; to relieve 換投)
strike zone 好球帶
bullpen 牛棚 (後援投手的熱身練投區; 後授投手群)
sinker 伸卡球
slider 滑球
changeup 變速球
four-seam fastball 四縫線快速球
earned run average (ERA) 防禦率
run 分數
strike out 三振
double play 雙殺
smash 強力揮擊
the score tied 平手
最後由 Sherry Liao 於 週日 4月 13, 2008 5:12 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Other baseball terms:

Major League Baseball 職棒大聯盟
American League Baseball 美國聯盟
National League Baseball 國家聯盟
Minor League Baseball 小聯盟
AAA(pronouced as triple A) or Class AAA: 小聯盟球隊的最高等級

fastball 速球
forkball 指叉球
ground ball 滾地球
splitter 快速指叉球

home plate 本壘
first (second, third) base 一(二, 三)壘
pitcher's plate 投手板
infield 內野
outfield 外野
left field 右外野
right field 右外野
fence 全壘打牆
foul territory 界外
fair territory 界內

the top 上半局
the bottom 下半局
batting team 進攻方
fielding team 守備方

start pitcher / starter 先發投手
set-up man 中繼投手
reliever 救援投手
baseman 壘手

ground out / infield out 內野滾地球剌殺出局
run batted in (RBI) 打點

The count is three-and-two with a man on first. 球數兩好三壞一壘有人
It's a full count, three and two. 兩好三壞滿球數
It's two down, one to go. 二人出局
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Isn't about time to prove yourself as a true diehard baseball fan with...

The Ultimate Baseball Lingo Test

http://www.channelone.com/life/sports/2 ... all_lingo/
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Sherry Liao 寫: sinker 伸卡球
好像有人譯為下沉球 我不明白 為何要用音譯 :roll: (那麼slide 不就應該譯為 思來得球 了嗎 :twisted: )
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wayne 寫:
據我所知台灣媒體一般習慣稱呼這種下沉球為伸卡球. "伸卡"並非直譯自sinker, 而是源自日語 "シンカー" (在台灣, 有不少棒球術語均源自日語, 例如全壘打 "ホームラン", 當然對日語來說, 這些也是外來語, 全壘打的日語源自homerun)

伸卡球一開始的走向是直球, 但快要到本壘板的時候,以右投手為例, 球路會偏向左下方, 也就是朝右打者的內角 "下沈", 很容易使打者打到球的上緣, 而擊出內野的滾地球.

不知道這是否就是王(他是右投手)對付右打者特別厲害, 但對左打者較為沒輒的原因. 但幾天前王出賽的那場, 對手(我忘記是哪一隊...我家球賽播報員已經在睡覺了...)派出6名(還是7名)左打者, 王仍然是零失分...

這表示王的球技又前進一步了... 我的英文...何時能前進一步... :?

另外, 滾地球的英文是ground ball / grounder
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Supplementary baseball terminologies:

no-hitter: 無安打比賽

double: 二壘安打 a hit in baseball which allows the batter to reach second base

In baseball, a walk is a free pass to first base awarded to a batter when the pitcher throws him four balls
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Sherry Liao 寫: inner 局
局 should be Inning.
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Sherry Liao 寫:
Wayne 寫:
據我所知台灣媒體一般習慣稱呼這種下沉球為伸卡球. "伸卡"並非直譯自sinker, 而是源自日語 "シンカー" (在台灣, 有不少棒球術語均源自日語, 例如全壘打 "ホームラン", 當然對日語來說, 這些也是外來語, 全壘打的日語源自homerun)
問題就在 日語為何要 音譯? 臺灣為何一定要照日語外來語的音譯?
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Kooper 寫:
Sherry Liao 寫: inner 局
局 should be Inning.
Ouch! It sure is "inning". How shaming... :oops:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wayne 寫:問題就在 日語為何要 音譯? 臺灣為何一定要照日語外來語的音譯?
... You are right. I give in.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Kuo gets fifth starter nod for Dodgers
Left-hander set to start Tuesday night over righty Loaiza
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

ATLANTA -- Manager Joe Torre said on Friday that Hong-Chih Kuo will get the start on Tuesday night for the Dodgers in Cincinnati.
Kuo got the nod as the fifth starter over Esteban Loaiza for the second time, having started and pitched four innings last Tuesday night. Trying to strike out everybody he saw, Kuo ran up his pitch count with a 32-pitch first inning that included three consecutive walks and a run. But he also finished with six strikeouts.

"It worked last time," said Torre. "We hope to get more than four innings from Kuo. We like that rotation better than the other way around. That way is safer than the reverse."

Loaiza pitched five innings of relief, allowed one run and got the win. It was Loaiza's first appearance since an Apr. 7 start in Phoenix, when he allowed four first-inning runs, then retired 10 consecutive batters.

Torre indicated that a big reason for starting Kuo over Loaiza is Kuo's brittle elbow, which has undergone four operations and is not ideal for the up-and-down demands of relieving.

"In his case, we always have to be careful about warming him up," said Torre, who added that with a week between outings, Kuo was available for brief relief on Friday night. Torre attributed Kuo's wild spell to "excitement."

Source: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... sp&c_id=la
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

嘿嘿.. 我說kooper
這好像是上星期的舊聞哦 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章