Enjoy the right?

回覆文章
Jooooooey
YOYO member
文章: 27
註冊時間: 週一 11月 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Enjoy the right?

文章 Jooooooey »

Some of us used the word " enjoy" as a verb with "right" in yesterday's meeting. I suppose "have" which is more appropriate one .Then I checked the dictionary and found " heva" or "have got" are used to say that someone owns something or that it is available for them to use. So, I guess that "Homosextuals should have the equal rights as straight people have" might be a better one.

As for the word "enjoy", it suggests that someone get pleasure form someting, or doing something. Another normal use of "enjoy" is to say someone have a particular ablity or advantage.
e.g. The worker enjoy a high level of job security.

Surely, if we don't like to use verb+noun model to describe that someone have the right to do something, then we can use Phrases like "in the right" or "by rights" instead.

Just like to share what I have got, if you find any mistakes I made here please feel free to let me know, and then I will learn more. :D :D :D
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Enjoy the right?

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wow, we've got a studious new member. Just great! :D :D
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Jooooooey 寫:Some of us used the word " enjoy" as a verb with "right" in yesterday's meeting. I suppose "have" which is more appropriate one .Then I checked the dictionary and found " heva" or "have got" are used to say that someone owns something or that it is available for them to use. So, I guess that "Homosextuals should have the equal rights as straight people have" might be a better one.

As for the word "enjoy", it suggests that someone get pleasure form someting, or doing something. Another normal use of "enjoy" is to say someone have a particular ablity or advantage.
e.g. The worker enjoy a high level of job security.

Surely, if we don't like to use verb+noun model to describe that someone have the right to do something, then we can use Phrases like "in the right" or "by rights" instead.

Just like to share what I have got, if you find any mistakes I made here please feel free to let me know, and then I will learn more. :D :D :D
{macmillan} Another defintion of "enjoy" is to have something as a benefit or advantage", a formal usage. Ex., The hotel enjoys a magnificent view of the harbour.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

More often than not, in real life, phrase like "enjoy the right" isn't completely incorrect per se, it is just potentially problematic. First of all, "right" is a legal concept, not an activity. But than again, who is anybody to tell you that you have no right to enjoy the right to enjoy the right? Especailly in this age of whatever floats your boat.
The word "cherish" is a possible subsitute to the word "enjoy" in this case. For example: To cherish the right to free speech and freedom of assembly.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

According to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, two of the verbs that usually used with RIGHT are EXERCISE and ASSERT.

exercise: to use a power, right, or quality that you have.
Ex: There are plans to encourage people to exercise their right to vote.

assert your rights: to state very strongly your right to sth
Ex: Native Americans asserting their rights to ancestral land.
頭像
gavintsai
文章: 732
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:23 pm
來自: 淡水

文章 gavintsai »

Joey, Sherry, two Waynes, Kooper:

Many of my coworkers consider me a maniac for vocabulary usage.

However, after reading this discussion, I know I am so normal. :lol:

I learn a lot from you. Great.
回覆文章