gesture, posture and pose

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

gesture, posture and pose

文章 Kooper »

During discussion last night, I couldn't really tell the differences among GESTURE, POSTURE and POSE, so I looked up my dictionary and here is what I got.

gesture: a movement of part of your body, especially your hands or head, to show what you mean or how you feel

posture: the way you position your body when sitting or standing

pose: the position in which sb stands or sits, especially in a painting, photograph etc

quoted from LONGMAN DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY ENGLISH
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

Re: gesture, posture and pose

文章 Laura »

Kooper 寫:During discussion last night, I couldn't really tell the differences among GESTURE, POSTURE and POSE, so I looked up my dictionary and here is what I got.

gesture: a movement of part of your body, especially your hands or head, to show what you mean or how you feel

pose: the position in which sb stands or sits, especially in a painting, photograph etc

Yeah, this is the good sharing to avoid using specious English :oops: .

Thanks so much for efforts and abilities from Kooper (& Kooper's charming wife ~ Gloria)
have paid in this year, thus we, YoYos & the club could still have the good qualifications in many aspects :ssmile: .
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

文章 CarmenTao »

Kooper 寫:During discussion last night, I couldn't really tell the differences among GESTURE, POSTURE and POSE, so I looked up my dictionary and here is what I got.

quoted from LONGMAN DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY ENGLISH

Ha! So Kooper you changed your pose in the photo now and your eyes are no more bleeding la!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

His eyes were bleeding? Don't scare me again. I've been scared to death by too many things recently.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

I read a novel recently which used the word "motion" a lot. So maybe we should learn one more word.

motion N.
moving your head or hand[countable] a single movement of your hand or head, especially one made in order to communicate something [= gesture]

motion of
He summoned the waiter with a motion of his hand.
Doyle glanced back at Bodie, and made a slight motion with his head.

motion V.
to give someone directions or instructions by moving your hand or head

motion (for) somebody to do something
The police officer motioned for me to pull over.
motion to somebody to do something
He motioned to the barman to refill their glasses.
motion somebody forward/away etc
His father motioned him forward.
motion somebody into/to something
I saw her motioning me into the room.
回覆文章